2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

11 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I feel like everyone was way more excited for us signing bostic last year over barron this year. the reality is that barron is a much better player and fit even with his down year from last year.

I don't recall what "everyone" thought but I remember saying if I was a QB/OC and saw slug-footed Bostic and VW in the middle, I'd be licking my chops. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I feel like everyone was way more excited for us signing bostic last year over barron this year. the reality is that barron is a much better player and fit even with his down year from last year.

Probably more to do with people not being real excited about this team right now. Last year they were coming off a good year and seemed poised to make some noise if we added some players at key positions. After a really frustrating year the Tomlin-Colbert hate-train is nearing full capacity and gaining steam.

• Like 1

So looks like we just released burnett....... I had some hopes he could be a communicator for our defense especially on 3rd downs. Problem is you have to be healthy enough to be on the field to do so. Here is to hoping we take the money saved and make a move at Tre Boston. We could still use the deep centerfield guy a lot more than burnett type.

I don't recall the consensus on this board as it related to the Burnett signing but I was pleased. I know there were injury concerns (clearly for good reason) but I thought replacing Davis with him was going to be a major upgrade. Of course with the injuries and the drafting of Edmunds it never materialized. 

10 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I don't recall the consensus on this board as it related to the Burnett signing but I was pleased. I know there were injury concerns (clearly for good reason) but I thought replacing Davis with him was going to be a major upgrade. Of course with the injuries and the drafting of Edmunds it never materialized. 

Yeah, I really liked the signing too. I thought he'd be a great help towards our communication issues. I harbor no ill will towards Burnett now, either. I was pleased with the development of Davis and Edmunds as the season went along and Burnett couldn't stay healthy enough to get on the field. 

It’s hard for me to get a feel if Edmunds was drafted to play the $lb role and he was forced into SS or if that where they planned for him.  I get the feel they are somewhat happy with Sean Davis at FS.  If they truely wanted the Edmunds as the $lb I could see them going after a player like Rapp.  

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

All depends on what you think they need.  Edmunds was playing well enough to make Burnett expendable.  Both played the SS/in-the-box safety.  Drafting CGJ would be targeted at Davis as would signing Tre Boston.   Is Barron is the backup SS or ILB? 

You think CGJ is strictly a FS? I see him as a chess piece guy. He can play the run, tackle, play man, and zone. I'd like to take him and use him in a Honey Badger type of role. Take Vince off the field on 3rd downs and replace him with CGJ. Barron, CGJ, Davis, Edmunds, Nelson, Haden is a really good, versatile group in the modern NFL. 

You would(should) not draft CGJ as anything other than a FS.  Yes he could play those other roles but not as well as playing a FS.  I do admit that I have a man crush on CGJ and I think he will be a great player in the NFL.  They would have to take him in the 1st round.  If they did draft him I could see him being a joker.

Yes... his best role is that of a true FS, but he is just so damn versitile.  The combos make your head spin.  One play, Davis is the FS, Edmunds SS and CGJ in the slot.  Literal next play, CGJ to FS, Davis at SS, and Edmunds erasing a TE.  Dime... CGJ and Davis 2 deep, Hilton over 3rd reciever, Edmunds is $ backer, Haden and Nelson on outside.  It is just too much sense.

2 hours ago, Big Snack said:

Like Barron more, but I'm too numb to care after the Brown disaster.

• Like 3