2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

5 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Willis.  He just got cut in CIN.

He's more of an edge rushing type with still a big upside due to his athleticism.  Cut Shepard bring him in.

Same with Colvin.  Got toasted last week but maybe he can bounce back?

On the surface I'd say heck ya lets get Colvin (I actually really wanted us to draft him). But there has to be more to this release than just a bad game. He had to have attitude issues, poor practice reps, etc.

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Willis.  He just got cut in CIN.

He's more of an edge rushing type with still a big upside due to his athleticism.  Cut Shepard bring him in.

Same with Colvin.  Got toasted last week but maybe he can bounce back?

Really liked Willis coming out of school scored similar to Jamie Collins on the Waldo scale. Hoping we give him a shot or he doesn't end up on the Patriots.

8 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Douglas seems to be bringing guys in and out to see who sticks. Gonna be tough to build consistency but him and Gase will get at least 3/4 years to build this thing up. 

Douglas has a much longer leash than Gase will have. Douglas doing his best to just get some of his finger prints on this roster. Basically using our waiver position is the only thing he can do. Hopefully we strike gold and find a player than can contribute that just needed a new fit. 

15 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Douglas has a much longer leash than Gase will have. Douglas doing his best to just get some of his finger prints on this roster. Basically using our waiver position is the only thing he can do. Hopefully we strike gold and find a player than can contribute that just needed a new fit. 

Don’t see how he has a “longer” leash. His contract is simply longer but it’s gonna take at least 2 offseasons to build the talent up and develop the guys they bring in.

Gase just has to have the team performing well and in position to win. 

Can’t be getting blown out every week like under Bowles.

2 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Don’t see how he has a “longer” leash. His contract is simply longer but it’s gonna take at least 2 offseasons to build the talent up and develop the guys they bring in.

Gase just has to have the team performing well and in position to win. 

Can’t be getting blown out every week like under Bowles.

I just simply dont see us firing both another GM/HC simultaneously again. I think if Gase fails, Douglas will still be here and be able to be part of hiring a new HC.  BUt yes its going to take way more time for us to get back to contention with the way Mac left us.

Gase's leash is short based on the fact that JD didn't hire him. If Gase sucks this year, JD could fire him (Not saying he would, but 1 year fires has happened). It all depends on how JD want to build the team and if Gase can take care of his players. 

Willis was a pretty interesting pickup. I really liked him coming out of KSU. Pending on how we use him, he can be a good rotation guy. 

I love the Thomas trade even more now. I don't think he's washed up, I think his injuries slowed him down the last 2 years. Not expecting a breakout season, but I think we'll like him here. 

I don't think Gase will be fired after this season.  Next off season will be the first time for Gase and Douglas to work together to retool the team. 

Remember many of you guys were angry at MM for his failure to collect legit talents. Now, Gase has to coach MM's players and yet you make a hint that Gase isn't the answer.  You are crazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I don't think Gase will be fired after this season.  Next off season will be the first time for Gase and Douglas to work together to retool the team. 

Remember many of you guys were angry at MM for his failure to collect legit talents. Now, Gase has to coach MM's players and yet you make a hint that Gase isn't the answer.  You are crazy. 

If Gase has the offense looking like it did on Sunday (anemic, like his bottom ranking offenses of the last few years) and Darnold looks like he’s not developing and we are a bottom 5 team in the league I’ll make a bet Johnson fires Gase. He said we are a better team than last year and he “knows it”

Basically it would take the entire ship sinking. Not likely, but definitely possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

Gase's leash is short based on the fact that JD didn't hire him. If Gase sucks this year, JD could fire him (Not saying he would, but 1 year fires has happened). It all depends on how JD want to build the team and if Gase can take care of his players. 

Willis was a pretty interesting pickup. I really liked him coming out of KSU. Pending on how we use him, he can be a good rotation guy. 

I love the Thomas trade even more now. I don't think he's washed up, I think his injuries slowed him down the last 2 years. Not expecting a breakout season, but I think we'll like him here. 

Our structure isn’t based on what you think it is. 

Douglas nor any GM since Tanny has hired the Head Coach. The Johnsons do. 

12 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Our structure isn’t based on what you think it is. 

Douglas nor any GM since Tanny has hired the Head Coach. The Johnsons do. 

But the Johnson's always give the GM a chance to be involved with hiring the coach they want. Idzik might be the only one that didn't.  They're not hiring a guy like JD and not give him freedom to get his guy if things go wrong.  

I think Douglas has no problems firing Gase at the end of the year. If we go like 4-12 or even 5-11 he could be out the door very fast. I think Douglas has total control and that includes firing Base after 1 year. He may be like us and think Gase is not a head coach and go after a guy that fits his situation. He might bring over Jim Schwartz. I don't like him as a head coach but I can see this happening.