2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’d rather do receiver back to back at 35 and 66. Can get one of Brown/Ridley/Harmon at 35 and at 66 there’s a slim chance Deebo Samuel might there, if not we can grab Terry McLaurin who is one of my sleepers in this draft. 

Although receiver is relatively deep from the mid first to about the mid/late second, I'm far more confident in certain players over others. I really would want to end up with Ridley, plus one of Metcalf/Butler/Harry/Brown. I don't think whoever ends up at 66 is going to be anything close to who the Raiders could land at 27 or 35.

20 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Although receiver is relatively deep from the mid first to about the mid/late second, I'm far more confident in certain players over others. I really would want to end up with Ridley, plus one of Metcalf/Butler/Harry/Brown. I don't think whoever ends up at 66 is going to be anything close to who the Raiders could land at 27 or 35.

We can get our #1 some other time, there is no true #1s in this draft. The class is loaded with #2s and #3s than any class ever before though. Let’s just solve those right now. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

We can get our #1 some other time, there is no true #1s in this draft. The class is loaded with #2s and #3s than any class ever before though. Let’s just solve those right now. 

I disagree. There are too many supremely talented receivers in this draft for none to emerge as a #1. Plus, the receiver, along with edge rusher, is the Raiders’ biggest offseason need and there aren’t very many quality options in free agency.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I disagree. There are too many supremely talented receivers in this draft for none to emerge as a #1. Plus, the receiver, along with edge rusher, is the Raiders’ biggest offseason need and there aren’t very many quality options in free agency.

BPA, if ones WR so be it. Probably not though. 

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Give Kolton another year but Parker looked like me out there trying to block people. Almost Kwame Harris level. 

He had a couple of games run blocking where he was destroying people at the end of the year. The Broncos game comes to mind. I agree with more drafted/signed competition for him, but I hope he can turn the corner... pun intended.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He had a couple of games run blocking where he was destroying people at the end of the year. The Broncos game comes to mind. I agree with more drafted/signed competition for him, but I hope he can turn the corner... pun intended.

That could be Cable.  He will have a great run blocking line but the pass blocking will be bad.

3 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Nope. Hockensen is by far the better all around TE. Fant is more of a WR than a TE.

That was the point.  We would be in need of a pass catching TE more so than an all around TE if the pass catching skill difference between the two is great enough.  If I have a great receiving TE the need for a great #1 WR is less.  Do you see us getting a #1 out of this draft or in FA.  The closest you get would be AB and I would not trade a high pick for him.

12 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gruden screwed up trading Mack, only way to make up is to TRADE UP  for Bosa or Allen.. we can't award to miss on this pick, Gary and Oliver too risky..... we have the assets to trade up a few spots to draft a defensive cornerstone

You kill me...... You make posts about the Raiders being in the playoffs next year, which is ridiculous. Then you make posts minutes later about trading all assets for 1 player.

2016 was a fluke, so stop using that as a baseline for any reasoning. This team is 2-3 years away with prudent roster rebuilding from being anything.

I don't think 2016 was a fluke. Mack and Carr were playing at a peak level when Derek went down. He hasn't been the same since, but he hasn't been the dumpster fire many have thought. He looks shell shocked but I think he'll pull out of it as he did at times this past season. Broke a finger, busted knee, broke back and lost his best friend in a trade days before opening the season against a team that went to the Super Bowl. No excuses but facts right there but the question is will he pull up before crashing or with Chucky pull the emergency cord and trade/draft/move on before we find out. 2016 was about taking risks and many of those risks panned out. 2017 JDR risks didn't pan out and he got canned. Gruden is taking much bigger risks and should be able to acquire some good assets. Mack's contract savings should land us two good FA's at other positions and maybe 3. The picks, a 1st and 3rd (other first will be too close to our 2nd to count) will get us two young players on rookie contracts. So Mack could equal S Collins, LB Barr and a rookie (5 year rookie contract) and 3rd 2020 (depth) It's up to our new GM to influence Chucky into good picks. Mack is better than all 4 but as a team we'll probably preform better with those 4 than just Mack.

Cooper will get 18 mil most likely the next season or two so that's two starters on a lower level or a good TE and good RB. The draft pick will yield another rookie with 5 year option. One of those picks will probably be a WR 24 or 27 that will replace Cooper's production with more chemistry with Carr. That was a good trade with the season already over and knowing Cooper probably wanted to leave instead of signing with us in Vegas.

I agree with rebuilding being a multi year project and it not being smart to trade any of those picks or salary cap (No to AB) to try and 'win now'

If we get some good FA's and have a fluke like season 2016 style, then we can trade the 2020 picks to make that push before the deadline but I doubt we'll be in the hunt.

I was/am against the trading of Mack. Can't change that no matter how much it feels like a nightmare I'll wake up from. All we can do now is focus on how to right the ship and sail it into Vegas with more pieces in place to compete there. UGH the truth is bitter tasting. :S

EDIT: 'No sir...I don't like it!'

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You kill me...... You make posts about the Raiders being in the playoffs next year, which is ridiculous. Then you make posts minutes later about trading all assets for 1 player.

2016 was a fluke, so stop using that as a baseline for any reasoning. This team is 2-3 years away with prudent roster rebuilding from being anything.

Seriously... People are still in denial. It sucks to suck, but one or two players wouldn't have made a difference to last year's team. 

This is why I'm hopeful as Mayock mentioned "our 7th round pick matters as much as our 1st". I know it's just words, but it's better than Reggie blowing nearly every 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Yeah the 2016 team was three things 1) Carr clutchness out of his mind 2) Mack clutchness out of his mind 3) Dominant pass protection

Take records out of the equation, that team was middle of the pack average football team. They were more a 9 win team. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah the 2016 team was three things 1) Carr clutchness out of his mind 2) Mack clutchness out of his mind 3) Dominant pass protection

Take records out of the equation, that team was middle of the pack average football team. They were more a 9 win team. 

Which is still not bad at all. Nothing to be incredibly proud of either though. I mean hell we didn't even have a #3 receiver back then. Reggie didn't draft a ******* receiver in 6 years aside from criner, cooper, and butler. That stands out to me as truly horrible and out of touch with the modern game.

Archived