2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't buy into QBR at all. Never have. I don't see a significant difference between his play then and now. If our cast was similar and his numbers/production were down and he looked bad on the field, I'd agree with you. But there are too many variables to say he's significantly regressed. I thought he used his legs better toward the end of the year and started to handle the pocket better.

It could very easily be that he had a hard time getting Gruden's offence and the talent around him but he was bad in 2017 also.  He was actually worse so you could say he got better because of Gruden's scheme.  Only sacked 20 times in 2017.

15 357 560 63.8 3,937 7.0 28 6 75 16 2 96.7 56.1
15 323 515 62.7 3,496 6.8 22 13 87 20 4 86.4 50.5
16 381 553 68.9 4,049 7.3 19 10 66 51 11 93.9 49.0

Hard to tell what direction he is going in and why.  That is why I want him to have another year to either prove himself or have less excuses.  Even if he fails next year there will still be some posters that will say it is chemistry and youth why he did not succeed.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

DJ has been holding that take in his pocket for 2 days since LJ started getting buzz.

I have not seen anything from him but just a couple quick reads make me think this is a mid round prospect.  He is LDE that needs to develop?  What about that says 1st round?  Sounds like a Jihad Ward pick.  Would not mind drafting him after the 4th round.  Gruden needs to not try and be the smartest guy in the draft.  Keep it simple and get some good players in here the first three rounds then impress us with your genius after that when the dark horses start to drop.

I really don’t like LJ Collier for the Raiders. IMO not the type of DE the Raiders need. They need someone who is a natural pass rusher. Collier is not. Especially with a price tag of a first round pick. His best position might be sliding to DT in passing situations. 

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

I wanted to hit on this one more time.  Just because I finally watched some more YouTube highlights.  If you look at J. Jacobs' best runs, they all came when he was well past the line of scrimmage without ever being touched by the defense.  his OL and QB played a major role on the success of his runs.  Even the short passes that he received were perfectly executed plays by the QB and OL.  His best runs show him going a full 10 yards before ever being touched by a defender.  You can chalk that up to vision, but it is obvious that the system made him look better than he really is.  The holes he ran through were massive.  He would be crushed behind our OL.  We're better off upgrading our OL and hoping a 275 lb CW3 can pound his way past smaller LBs and DBs. Just my opinion.  And I would honestly love to see a 250-275 lb RB crashing into LBs and DBs.

This is feels one sided to fit your narrative.

if you've watched Jacobs, then you can't ignore his ability to cut on a dime. He creates a lot of space for himself and will make the first guy miss. Next, his power. always moving forward with great leg drive and welcomes contact running behind his pads. Great blocker, pass catcher with vision and burst.

You're still just looking at the logo on the helmet 

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I have not seen anything from him but just a couple quick reads make me think this is a mid round prospect.  He is LDE that needs to develop?  What about that says 1st round?  Sounds like a Jihad Ward pick.  Would not mind drafting him after the 4th round.  Gruden needs to not try and be the smartest guy in the draft.  Keep it simple and get some good players in here the first three rounds then impress us with your genius after that when the dark horses start to drop.

I have seen a few draft guys on twitter mention his name. I am not, in any way, advocating for him. Just thought it was funny DJ throws these "diamond in the rough" type guys at Mayock. Mayock isn't taking this guy high. Big difference in finding a guy that many aren't talking about that has some talent and actually making a pick in a slot.

5 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

I have seen a few draft guys on twitter mention his name. I am not, in any way, advocating for him. Just thought it was funny DJ throws these "diamond in the rough" type guys at Mayock. Mayock isn't taking this guy high. Big difference in finding a guy that many aren't talking about that has some talent and actually making a pick in a slot.

It was interesting that DJ said something about Mayock liking DL w/ some power to their game and that's probably why he mentioned Collier because that's exactly what Collier's game is.  Makes me think Mayock may not be high on guys like Brian Burns or Jachai Polite.

A dream draft scenario of mine would be to trade back with Jacksonville for their first and second round picks then trade back again with Miami for their first and second round picks.  We'd have 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks.  6 picks out of the first 64.  I hope it happens. I really don't want to pick at four.  I feel like the pick is too rich for what will most likely be available.  We could double dip at positions like ED and WR or have a chance to address ED, WR, LB, FS, TE, and OT in just the first two rounds.  Add that to a good/great FA or two and we'd have a really good chance at turning things around real quick.  I know the likelihood of that happening is very low, but man would that be awesome IMO.

5 hours ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

It was interesting that DJ said something about Mayock liking DL w/ some power to their game and that's probably why he mentioned Collier because that's exactly what Collier's game is.  Makes me think Mayock may not be high on guys like Brian Burns or Jachai Polite.

Yeah I think he meant the power to speed attribute but that would still track. But we also could get a DE or 2 in FA or early or later in the draft and then look for a situational pass rusher with more speed. I don't think anyone is off the board at this point.

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

A dream draft scenario of mine would be to trade back with Jacksonville for their first and second round picks then trade back again with Miami for their first and second round picks.  We'd have 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks.  6 picks out of the first 64.  I hope it happens. I really don't want to pick at four.  I feel like the pick is too rich for what will most likely be available.  We could double dip at positions like ED and WR or have a chance to address ED, WR, LB, FS, TE, and OT in just the first two rounds.  Add that to a good/great FA or two and we'd have a really good chance at turning things around real quick.  I know the likelihood of that happening is very low, but man would that be awesome IMO.

Or maybe trade back with the Packers at 12th and get their 30th or 44th and then trade back with one of our 24th or 27th to get more picks. Hou, PHI, NE and KC all have two 2nd rd picks to to move into the 1st again if they want.

I think it's more likely we'll add one 2nd and one 3rd  for one of our late 1sts in a trade back.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Just watched NFL Total Access and Greedy was on, he looks really thin and said he’s looking to bench 225 10 times.

That’s going to fuel the speculation that he’s weak in run support.

Bench is overrated for cbs. Mathieu put up what 5?

On 2/23/2019 at 12:23 PM, BayRaider said:

Seems Gruden really wants to give Brandon Parker another shot watching his most recent interview but I love Andre Dillard who may be there at 24 (maybe not as I expect him to rapidly move up boards). LTOTF and put Kolton at RT, use Parker as a backup and jack of all trades guy. I would rather spend pick 24 on Dilliard than a luxory pick on a guy like Hockenson, sorry guys. 

If we're going to take a tackle it will probably be Dalton Risner out of Kansas State. Apparently, Gruden and the staff loved him at the Senior Bowl and Risner said that he'd love to be coached by them again in the future. 

Not sure how Hockenson would be a luxury pick, do we have a group of talented pass catchers on the roster already? Cook is probably gone and the only TE's we'll have under contract have never been consistent weapons in the NFL. If anything drafting another OT high would be a luxury pick. We spent a top 15 pick and a 3rd round pick on OT's last year, neither guy played particularly well but they were both considered projects coming into the season. Gruden has been singing Miller/Parker's praises this off-season and said he expects major improvement from both guys this year. 

We need weapons on offense because currently, we have none. You can't expect your QB to play well if he doesn't have weapons. Hockenson would give us an elite pass catcher/matchup nightmare for the next decade vs Dillard who might not even be better than Miller/Parker.

Archived