2019 NFL Draft Thread v.2

Totty

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I can't see that. He's short and not overly long. He loses a ton of leverage in those situations to tackles who are 6'6" - 6'8" with 34 and 35 inch arms. Plus, now you're lining him up on tackles who are typically more fluid, quicker, and have better feet movement than guards, so  you're mitigating one of Oliver's greatest assets by bridging the gap between the offensive lineman's skillset and Oliver's. 

I did say I was probably in the small minority. And though he may not be 6'6" he does have rare athleticism. And while it my be a disadvantage to batting down passes and possibly vision (which I doubt) it could be an asset when bending corner. Low man wins.

Either way I'm not in love with the guy. And regardless it doesn't matter who I like as I've said before. If you want to make sure the Raiders don't draft a guy. Make me really want him. Because if I want him then no way are we gonna get him lol.

5 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Edoga from usc (LT) looked good yesterday ima havta brush up on my usc videos.

He played RT for SC, definitely not a LT at the next level imo. I’d like to see him bulk up and move inside but i don’t think he’s nasty enough. Not a great attitude, didn’t progress too much from being a high recruit (party on staff though), and was penalized a lot. 

Frustrating career as the talent is there just doesn’t put it together. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

FWIW - Gruden has apparently taking a liking to Drew Lock.

Makes sense... trade in your broken Carr for new Carr clone lol (don't come at me, it was a joke) 

Was talking to a friend and said Lock was the guy Gruden could fall in love with. People think Murray or Haskins is in play at 4, I personally dont see it. But i can totally see Lock at 24 or 27. Could also see Jones but less so.

Lock is actually the only QB i like in this class, Haskins I like his skill set but i dont like the one year of starter experience in a QB. But I do think Lock is very similar to Carr, which makes sense because I still think highly of DC and his ability to lead our team (though I didnt love him as a prospect because of his fear inside the pocket, especially against USC in the bowl). 

23 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

He played RT for SC, definitely not a LT at the next level imo. I’d like to see him bulk up and move inside but i don’t think he’s nasty enough. Not a great attitude, didn’t progress too much from being a high recruit (party on staff though), and was penalized a lot. 

Frustrating career as the talent is there just doesn’t put it together. 

Interesting thanks he looked nice yesterday 

1 hour ago, Mr Raider said:

Was talking to a friend and said Lock was the guy Gruden could fall in love with. People think Murray or Haskins is in play at 4, I personally dont see it. But i can totally see Lock at 24 or 27. Could also see Jones but less so.

Lock is actually the only QB i like in this class, Haskins I like his skill set but i dont like the one year of starter experience in a QB. But I do think Lock is very similar to Carr, which makes sense because I still think highly of DC and his ability to lead our team (though I didnt love him as a prospect because of his fear inside the pocket, especially against USC in the bowl). 

If we draft one of these guys in the first round, I'm going to break my TV. None of them are better than Carr right now. I don't want to hear some salary cap BS. He deserves this year.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we draft one of these guys in the first round, I'm going to break my TV. None of them are better than Carr right now. I don't want to hear some salary cap BS. He deserves this year.

If Carr isn't Gruden's guy, then I wouldn't completely hate it if you can get a top of the second round pick from someone for Carr. I'm not a huge fan of Lock overall (small hands, accuracy issues), but I could see the merit to it. You're basically getting younger, cheaper, and you're not losing much value in terms of "burning" a pick on a quarterback you didn't need since you're getting the second round pick back. Will Lock ever be as good as Carr? I don't know about that. It's hard to find quarterbacks of Carr's caliber, even if you view him as just average,  though the most recent few years have made it seem a lot easier. But younger, cost controlled 5 year deal, etc etc? I understand it

The idea that you want to go for broke while your quarterback is on a rookie deal (just have to  pick the right quarterback) seems to be gaining steam. This isn't a one year rebuild for you guys so he can take his lumps in years 1 and 2 and by year three when he's surrounded by a great cast, just go balls out. Is it a move that needs to be done? Absolutely not. But I get that if you're the head coach and you don't want to be saddled with a quarterback you don't like or have faith in. 

Just now, Forge said:

If Carr isn't Gruden's guy, then I wouldn't completely hate it if you can get a top of the second round pick from someone for Carr. I'm not a huge fan of Lock overall (small hands, accuracy issues), but I could see the merit to it. You're basically getting younger, cheaper, and you're not losing much value in terms of "burning" a pick on a quarterback you didn't need since you're getting the second round pick back. Will Lock ever be as good as Carr? I don't know about that. It's hard to find quarterbacks of Carr's caliber, even if you view him as just average,  though the most recent few years have made it seem a lot easier. But younger, cost controlled 5 year deal, etc etc? I understand it

The idea that you want to go for broke while your quarterback is on a rookie deal (just have to  pick the right quarterback) seems to be gaining steam. This isn't a one year rebuild for you guys so he can take his lumps in years 1 and 2 and by year three when he's surrounded by a great cast, just go balls out. Is it a move that needs to be done? Absolutely not. But I get that if you're the head coach and you don't want to be saddled with a quarterback you don't like or have faith in. 

I simply don't agree. If the 49ers had the choice to trade Jimmy G for a top of the 2nd pick, would you do it? He has an even smaller resume than Carr... It just doesn't make sense. Especially for that value. I don't want to see a garbage team with instability at qb.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I simply don't agree. If the 49ers had the choice to trade Jimmy G for a top of the 2nd pick, would you do it? He has an even smaller resume than Carr... It just doesn't make sense. Especially for that value. I don't want to see a garbage team with instability at qb.

Nobody knows what Jimmy G is yet, so that's a little different. The smaller sample size actually works in his favor as to why you wouldn't make that sort of trade. And Shanny / Lynch like him. If Gruden doesn't like Carr, or doesn't think he'll be better than what he is and doesn't see a long term future with him, doesn't like the fit or whatever, then I get it.

Is it the move I would make? No. I agree with you there. But I wouldn't hate it if that is what Gruden needs / wants (He's going to be around for a while, after all), and i would understand it.  

Just now, Forge said:

Nobody knows what Jimmy G is yet, so that's a little different. The smaller sample size actually works in his favor as to why you wouldn't make that sort of trade. And Shanny / Lynch like him. If Gruden doesn't like Carr, or doesn't think he'll be better than what he is and doesn't see a long term future with him, then I get it. 

But on the salary cap argument, you're paying a qb coming off an ACL top 5 money. The only difference being, your staff likes the guy and you're saying gruden may be unsure.

My point being, unless you think gruden is nuts, how can you justify a trade of Carr for a high 2nd? It just doesn't compute. He actually had quite an efficient year with garbage around him (bottom 5 in sacks, top 6 in drops again, no receivers in the 2nd half of the season).

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But on the salary cap argument, you're paying a qb coming off an ACL top 5 money. The only difference being, your staff likes the guy and you're saying gruden may be unsure.

My point being, unless you think gruden is nuts, how can you justify a trade of Carr for a high 2nd? It just doesn't compute. He actually had quite an efficient year with garbage around him (bottom 5 in sacks, top 6 in drops again, no receivers in the 2nd half of the season).

Oh, I have no idea what the market would be. So there could absolutely be a bigger market for him than just a second. That was just my baseline just to even out the pick portion of it (burning one of the late first two round picks on a quarterback). Its easily possible that a team could give up a future first (I think a current first would be harder to get if only because the teams that I would suspect would be in on him are drafting relatively high in the draft and would probably be unwilling to give up a top 7 pick). Washington at 15 can't afford him financially because of Smith, and Tennessee no doubt is going to continue to try and make it work with MM. 

I'm just saying that yeah, if Gruden doesn't love Carr, for whatever reason, then yeah, I don't completely hate a move of trading Carr and drafting your guy if you're in love with him. That being said, we know that Gruden falls in love with quarterbacks. A lot. 

Just now, Forge said:

Oh, I have no idea what the market would be. So there could absolutely be a bigger market for him than just a second. That was just my baseline just to even out the pick portion of it (burning one of the late first two round picks on a quarterback). Its easily possible that a team could give up a future first (I think a current first would be harder to get if only because the teams that I would suspect would be in on him are drafting relatively high in the draft and would probably be unwilling to give up a top 7 pick). Washington at 15 can't afford him financially because of Smith, and Tennessee no doubt is going to continue to try and make it work with MM. 

I'm just saying that yeah, if Gruden doesn't love Carr, for whatever reason, then yeah, I don't completely hate a move of trading Carr and drafting your guy if you're in love with him. That being said, we know that Gruden falls in love with quarterbacks. A lot. 

I'm aware of your hypothetical. I just think it would be idiotic, much like the 49ers parting ways with jimmy G.

Archived