The Gun Thread

fotballer

32 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I've been looking into an EDC for a couple months now, having never owned a pistol and only having experience with long guns, and I'm leaning strongly towards a .38 special revolver instead of a 9mm glock. My CC class is in a couple Saturdays and I'll have an opportunty to fire both a double-action revolver and the afore-mentioned glock to see which feels better.

I’m a Glock honk, so take this for what it’s worth, but the glock is far easier to shoot imo, cheaper to shoot, offers twice the capacity, requires less maintenance, is easy to fix/maintain at home, easy to find parts, etc.

Snubbies are not easy to shoot well for most people.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m a Glock honk, so take this for what it’s worth, but the glock is far easier to shoot imo, cheaper to shoot, offers twice the capacity, requires less maintenance, is easy to fix/maintain at home, easy to find parts, etc.

Snubbies are not easy to shoot well for most people.

Way easier, it really isn’t even close.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yeah, I’d argue the average shooter could get two rounds on target with a Glock in the same time it would take someone to get one good shot with a revolver.

Revolvers are great, and are fun for target shooting, but for defense I can’t think of a reason not to use a semiautomatic. JMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I'll find out in a couple Saturdays just how the difference feels. I'm asking from a place of ignorance right now.

23 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I was with you until the bolded. Aren't revolvers like this:

http://www.bigdaddygun.com/products/s-w-642-pro-1-8-38-st-al-moon-no-lk.html

basically the shining example of a sidearm that requires the least amount of maintenance? No slide or other extra moving parts. Not sure what you mean by "fix/maintain at home", the only maintaining I've ever had to do with a rifle is cleaning the bolt carrier group, etc. Why would a revolver be harder to maintain? Genuinely curious as I've not owned a sidearm.

As far as parts, it's a wash, I'm not adding any after-market parts to a revolver living in my car or work desk.

A big factor in my decision is going to be how the trigger feels (I would prefer a harder pull). If I'm reaching into a drawer to pull a sidearm, and I have to rack the slide first, I'd rather remove that step entirely. Sure I could carry with one in the chamber.. but if I'm going to carry like that, I'd prefer a stiffer trigger. I have some lady friends who carry a ready-to-fire glock in their purse but man I'd really need to feel comfortable with how the trigger feels.

Edited by cddolphin

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

I'll find out in a couple Saturdays just how the difference feels. I'm asking from a place of ignorance right now.

No worries, we were all there once.

I was with you until the bolded. Aren't revolvers like this:

http://www.bigdaddygun.com/products/s-w-642-pro-1-8-38-st-al-moon-no-lk.html

basically the shining example of a sidearm that requires the least amount of maintenance?

Not at all.  If you’re carrying it daily crap can get into the cylinder and needs cleaning.  Untreated steel also rusts, which definitely matters in warm, humid places where one might sweat.

No slide or other extra moving parts. Not sure what you mean by "fix/maintain at home", the only maintaining I've ever had to do with a rifle is cleaning the bolt carrier group, etc. Why would a revolver be harder to maintain? Genuinely curious as I've not owned a sidearm.

Neither are hard to maintain, but a Glock be worked on by anyone even remotely competent with a punch and YouTube.  Timing of a revolver and such is not nearly as easy.

As far as parts, it's a wash, I'm not adding any after-market parts to a revolver living in my car or work desk.

Not just aftermarket, replacement parts if something breaks. And, if you shoot enough, stuff will break.

A big factor in my decision is going to be how the trigger feels (I would prefer a harder pull). If I'm reaching into a drawer to pull a sidearm, and I have to rack the slide first, I'd rather remove that step entirely. Sure I could carry with one in the chamber.. but if I'm going to carry like that, I'd prefer a stiffer trigger. I have some lady friends who carry a ready-to-fire glock in their purse but man I'd really need to feel comfortable with how the trigger feels.

In my experience neither trigger is that light, both require actively pulling them.

Both should be kept in a holster also to cover the trigger guard, plenty of options to choose from, even if you’re just keeping it in a desk.  

The idea of having a gun with a loaded chamber and no safety is daunting at first, but keep it holstered and learn to keep your finder out of the trigger guard and it’s a nonissue. This is just a mental hurdle, not an actual safety issue imo.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The idea of having a gun with a loaded chamber and no safety is daunting at first, but keep it holstered and learn to keep your finder out of the trigger guard and it’s a nonissue. This is just a mental hurdle, not an actual safety issue imo.

Yeah it flies in the face of everything drilled in to me regarding weapon safety, particularly golden rule #3 "keep the safety on until you're ready to fire" so yeah it'd take some acclimation. My finger doesn't go into the trigger guard until I intend to fire.

It'd be in one of those flat-surface holster type deals, not just loosey goosey floating around with a bunch of pens and staplers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Yeah it flies in the face of everything drilled in to me regarding weapon safety, particularly golden rule #3 "keep the safety on until you're ready to fire" so yeah it'd take some acclimation. My finger doesn't go into the trigger guard until I intend to fire.

You pick it up pretty quick, Glocks are truly idiot-proof.

It’s easier than having to learn it the other way and you forget about the safety.

Just bought a Rat Worx suppressor for my Tavor.  Now the long wait for the tax stamp, 3 months? 6 months? Anyone else filed for one of these recently? I'm really hoping it won't take 6 months to get to me. 

Down side, I'll probably keep my Tavor in 9mm from here on out.

Good side, no more ear protection when going shooting, and it looks like a freaking space gun. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2018 at 11:58 PM, NickButera said:

Just bought a Rat Worx suppressor for my Tavor.  Now the long wait for the tax stamp, 3 months? 6 months? Anyone else filed for one of these recently? I'm really hoping it won't take 6 months to get to me. 

Good side, no more ear protection when going shooting, and it looks like a freaking space gun. 

I really wish I could own a tavor, let alone one that is suppressed.  Hope the government issues it for you quickly and you get to have some fun at the range.

I think it's kinda BS you have to go through so many hoops to get a silencer.  I think whoever made that law spent a little too much time watching movies and not actually listening to a silencer actually being used.  It's not a little toot, and it's still pretty loud, especially inside. 

Non-Silenced

Silenced

Obviously there's a difference, but it's not the disparity Hollywood likes to act like it is. 

On 4/13/2018 at 2:09 PM, TankWilliams said:

I really wish I could own a tavor, let alone one that is suppressed.  Hope the government issues it for you quickly and you get to have some fun at the range.

I haven't been to a range in years. One of the big perks about NV. I live near the edge of town near BLM land. It's so relaxing and infinitely nicer to go out to some open space and set up my own targets and shoot how I want at my own pace. Also, add tailgating bbq lunch and maybe a streaming sports game on a tablet and it's heaven.  I'm thinking about cerakoting it in a sniper grey, poaching this guys tavor idea with the same suppressor: 

tavor.jpg

Side note: My local Scheels had a clearing out sale on the Walther PPS M2. $299. It's a steal of a deal and below manufacturers cost if anyone is looking for a sub compact and may be near a scheels. Worth checking out. 

On 4/9/2018 at 12:58 AM, NickButera said:

http://www.nfatracker.com/

If it makes you feel better, my Purchase to Check Cash time was under the average.

Edited by Slateman

On 4/4/2018 at 11:26 AM, cddolphin said:

In a situation where you'd have to pull and fire, I think the odds are in your favor that 5 rounds will be enough; of course I'm talking with no personal experience but I imagine if you need 9+ rounds to defuse an aggressor you are either in a really bad situation with multiple attackers, you panicked and emptied the cylinder, or you flat out missed and the bullets flying wasn't enough of a deterrent.

For home defense a semi-auto with a bigger magazine probably makes more sense but if it's something you're keeping in your car, office, purse, or person, a small-frame revolver seems like a reasonable option, especially if size is an issue.

I've been looking into an EDC for a couple months now, having never owned a pistol and only having experience with long guns, and I'm leaning strongly towards a .38 special revolver instead of a 9mm glock. My CC class is in a couple Saturdays and I'll have an opportunty to fire both a double-action revolver and the afore-mentioned glock to see which feels better.

So first off, I wouldn't be so quick to judge shooting at people in high stress situations. Look at how poorly the police perform. SFPD recently fired 65 rounds at someone and missed hitting anyone. Quite frankly, it's not easy to shoot a person with a handgun at any distances exceeding 10 feet. So more rounds is better in this regard.

Second, it's entirely possible (and indeed, likely) that more than one person will break into your domicile. While shooting one may be enough to deter his/her accomplices, you really shouldn't bet on it.

There are plenty of autoloading pistols that are small enough to carry. Glock 43, VP9SK, MP9c,  ect.