2019 Free Agent Prospects

CBrownsman

We all know that one of the biggest anchors tied to our necks in 2018 was the kicking game. It can be argued that it cost us at least a couple of game - and therefore, a playoff spot. So, what to do, what to do?

I know he is an unrestricted free agent so he can easily pick the team he wants to go to. He is a PROVEN VETERAN. He kicked for many years outside in the harsh conditions of the NFC North. So he would know intimately the challenges of kicking in First Energy Stadium in December.

He is now 36 years old, so he has much more career behind him than in front of him. His last team was in warm California - and no one could blame him if he wanted to stay there. But with the attractiveness of the talent on our team, and the amount of available cash we could throw his way - I would be rolling out the red carpet to entice him to move back much close to his roots.

Oh yeah, I did not mention - it's Robbie Gould who went to Penn State and was the Bears kicker for many many years.

I hope this works out.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3519/robbie-gould

On 1/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, candyman93 said:

If we can’t land Clowney, I hope we go hard after Frank Clark. He’s a Cleveland native and we’ve got the money to pay him.

Clowney shouldn't even be an option IMO, let someone else overpay for him. I'm all for Frank Clark, also I have concerns about Dee Ford in a base 4-3 and what we would be paying for his services. 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:34 PM, TheeRealDeal said:

The defensive end I want to sign is David Irving for a multitude of reasons.

1. He has the most freakish skill set of any football player to hit free agency since Mario Williams in 2012 or Julius Peppers in 2010.

2. He will be extremely cheap in comparison to said free agent freaks due to his off field issues

3. He is incredibly young for his talent level hitting free agency. He will still only be 25 when the season starts.

4. Every time I watched Dallas last season David Irving was owning offensive lineman like I haven't see since Reggie White. I'm dead serious. The great pass rushers today are mostly explosive and speed to get around the OT. Not many guys man handle Olineman and toss them around to create their sacks on a regular basis. David Irving has that ability.

5. The first guy to give him a chance in the NFL? John Dorsey, who we all know is not afraid to take a risk, signed him as and UDFA and to the practice squad before Dallas poached him midseason.

6. He is the perfect complement in playing style to Myles Garrett. I also know he is listed as a DT but if you watch Dallas games he was lined up on the edge more often than inside and he can flat out make plays from anywhere.

6'7 1/2  283 pound with a 38" vertical 10'8" broad jump and 1.69 split. Better numbers physically than Clowney with 20 extra pounds. His testing numbers are only rivaled by Mario Williams and J.J. Watt on a pound for pound basis.

He would be cheap enough to sign that it shouldn't deter us from drafting another DE if they are BPA giving us Garrett, Irving, Ogbah, Rookie and Smith as a retard deep DE group and easily the most physically gifted duo of pass rushers in the NFL if not the entire history of the NFL, and if Irving screws up off the field we still have Ogbah and a rookie draft pick.

Yes, yes, and yes

On 1/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, FEARtheELF said:

Isn't Irving 1 suspension away from a year long ban? Didnt we just wash ourselves of this? We should say away from that.

We can write all of that into the language of his contrac, pretty easily

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

Give me Grady Jarrett all day and twice on Sunday. Then trade for Reddick let him do what he does we’ll get after the QB

1. I'm not paying any DT top market value with this insane DT class.

2. Genard Avery ? Haason Reddick

Avery is a far more powerful and violent player. Despite their draft status I think Avery has the brighter future and high upside as a football player. No doubt Reddick is a better athlete but Avery is a football player. Avery has more than double the QB hits in 1 less year and less than half the total snaps. Same amount of forced fumbles and his 4.5 sacks this season is better than either of Reddick's two seasons and only 2 shy of his combined sack total. Maybe you want to make the argument Avery gets to rush the pass more? Well if that is the case then Avery is outperforming him in coverage with less snaps as well with 4 PD to Reddick's 5.

Haason Reddick is a redundant player on our roster. He's a tweener who is not a good enough pass rusher to be purely a pass rusher. Also, who is to say Arizona is even interested in trading him now? After the trade talk never amounted to anything he played 100% of the defensive snaps and they will have a new coach now who may like what he sees where Wilks didn't(at least early).

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Id like to give WR Kevin White a shot, he had a lot of physical talent, he could be Perriman 2.0 in cleveland. 

This is exactly who I thought we might take a look at. High upside guy that has struggled mightily with injuries and consistency. Worth the risk if we're going to keep most of our WR's. I'd love to go into next season with a WR group of:

Jarvis Landry
Rashad Higgins
Antonio Callaway
Breshad Perriman
Kevin White
Ricardo Louis/Damion Ratley

*stash an UDFA on the PS, as there are going to be some very good UDFA WR's.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

we get his 20% drop rate for another two years cos he went on IR. 

Hey he was DeShone's big play guy! I think he's got some promise...

...Well, I mean, he caught that one 40 yard pass to start off the Lions game. That was cool...did he do anything else?

In other news, Howard Wilson went to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame today. If you have seen my avatar, you know that man has earned tremendous respect from me today.

10 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Clowney shouldn't even be an option IMO, let someone else overpay for him. I'm all for Frank Clark, also I have concerns about Dee Ford in a base 4-3 and what we would be paying for his services. 

Yes, yes, and yes

We can write all of that into the language of his contrac, pretty easily

I'd take Frank Clark over Clowney in a heartbeat. Clark is a sack technician, with the full array of moves and counters. Clowney has no bend for the speed rush for one, plus he gets by primarily on his physical gifts. Frank Clark is worth the major payday I'm hoping WE give him. Him plus Grady Jarrett would be a dream off-season.

Archived