Packers to Hire Titans OC Matt LaFleur as Head Coach

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

How many Titans are starting for the Packers?  Corey Davis and Taylor Lewan are probably the only guarantees, but you could make an argument for Jack Conklin as one of the guards.  Derrick Henry has a great 2 game stretch, but people will ignore he's been rather pedestrian outside of that.  On a per rush basis, Aaron Jones was more productive than Derrick Henry mainly because Mike McCarthy refused to utilize Aaron Jones.  You could make an argument for either one, but I don't think either one is clearly better than the other.  And the difference between Rodgers and Mariota is like the size of the Pacific Ocean.

no argument about talent will change the fact that we we ran the football on first down more than almost any team in football despite having one of the worst first down YPC averages in the nfl. the guy was just not a good playcaller. he showed flashes, but you'd better hope he learns a lot over the offseason.

5 hours ago, malak1 said:

Sheesh. I hope he’s as nervous calling plays in crunch time as he appeared to be in that presser today. 

I heard there might be a rule change that in the last 5 minutes, the offensive playcaller will have to do that while being interviews by 40-50 NFL league reporters.  

Probably a good reflection of the 2 situations.

4 hours ago, -Hope- said:

no argument about talent will change the fact that we we ran the football on first down more than almost any team in football despite having one of the worst first down YPC averages in the nfl. the guy was just not a good playcaller. he showed flashes, but you'd better hope he learns a lot over the offseason.

Just to piggyback on this...

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Guys were talking about calling plays for Marcus Mariota, an injured one at that. Not even a comparable situation to calling plays for Aaron Rodgers.

Why, do you think Rodgers is going to be healthy all next season?  If he gets injured again (as he has done quite a bit lately) and plays like he did this year, it could be a very comparable situation.  

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Why, do you think Rodgers is going to be healthy all next season?  If he gets injured again (as he has done quite a bit lately) and plays like he did this year, it could be a very comparable situation.  

No it's not even close. Rodgers at his worst is still a better passer than Mariota. 

28 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

You think Rodgers was comparable to Mariota last season?  Definitely not Rodgers' best season but he was 25/2...

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No it's not even close. Rodgers at his worst is still a better passer than Mariota. 

great. that does nothing to refute the objective stupidity of running as much as we did on first down (and on 2nd and long, which is statistically the absolute worst time to call a run) as poorly as we did. mariota was healthy for a good chunk of the season and nothing changed.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

great. that does nothing to refute the objective stupidity of running as much as we did on first down (and on 2nd and long, which is statistically the absolute worst time to call a run) as poorly as we did. mariota was healthy for a good chunk of the season and nothing changed.

Yes it does. If I called plays for the Titans I'd run a lot more than I would if I was calling plays for the Packers, Falcons, Saints, etc. He didn't have faith in Mariota as a playcaller is all that tells me, I don't blame him.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes it does. If I called plays for the Titans I'd run a lot more than I would if I was calling plays for the Packers, Falcons, Saints, etc. He didn't have faith in Mariota as a playcaller is all that tells me, I don't blame him.

i’ve been one of mariota’s harshest critics this year, and think he had a poor/inconsistent year overall. that doesn’t change the fact that lafleur was incredibly spotty as a playcaller. he did show a marked improvement from mike mularkey in terms of passing concepts and scheming guys open, and mariota did fail him in that regard with poor pocket awareness and inconsistent decision-making, but lafleur routinely put the offense in bad situations with the way he managed the run game and showed little willingness to adjust when it wasn’t working (which, up until derrick henry turned it on, was basically always). our interior offensive line was one of the worst units on the team, and performed incredibly poorly in the shanahan-style zone blocking scheme. mariota is an average quarterback. i would 100% give it a go with him on early downs rather than repeatedly ramming our running backs into our miserable run-blocking guards constantly.

5 hours ago, -Hope- said:

how was he on 2nd and 3rd downs though?

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

how was he on 2nd and 3rd downs though?

hard to tell when you constantly put yourself in unfavorable down/distance situations. he was a significant upgrade from mularkey/robiskie in terms of passing game/route concepts, though that isn't saying a ton. i think it's entirely possible he improves and ends up being a solid hire, i just think he's very very green and it showed this year. i think he's also not a terribly charismatic dude or the type that looks like he could rally a locker room so i don't really know he'll handle being a head coach, but he knows his Xs and Os.

Archived