Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

No idea, McFarland retweeted him. There really aren't any constantly good Ravens sources besides Zrebiec. We need something though. 

56 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Please do not sign Bell. He's not a scheme fit (not a downhill runner), he'll cost too much, probably be a huge distraction and I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

I think the idea that Bell isn't a scheme fit is way overblown. He's doesn't just dance and dance and dance around in the backfield forever. Dude gets yards going forward. That's all it takes. And then there's the pass-catching ability. On pure talent consideration Baltimore would be very lucky to get someone like Le'Veon in the backfield to pair with Jackson. Unfortunately there's the money aspect to this and that's where it doesn't make sense. That goes for just about any running back. Keep your offensive line functional by truly investing there. Draft backs and/or sign cheap. Profit. 

On the other note... where do we want the cap space spent? Paradis would be nice. Not seeing much for other offensive linemen.

Safety is a need with a lot of options. I'm on the Gipson train. If it came down to it Amos would be cool too but I'm way more wary of him being one of the inevitable free agent busts. No thanks to Mathieu. He's a fine player, just not someone I'd want paired next to Jefferson or Clark. I'd rather the Ravens not make Landon Collins or Earl Thomas the highest paid safety in the league. Clinton-Dix hasn't really put it all (most anything) together yet.

Wide receiver is the other position that could use some help but it's pretty bleh there. Funchess is interesting, especially given his experience with Newton. Different runner and thrower for sure but having played with a guy that gets on the move certainly doesn't hurt. It's not like he's breaking the bank in free agency though. It would be nice to see the Ravens spend some more money on their own guys but they might not be able to structure extensions/new deals that take advantage of the immediate cap space. You don't really want them putting themselves in a huge bind three years down the line.

So... I guess it's going to be Mosley. There's allocation for the cap space. xD

• Like 1

So far I can't find those glaring holes that forces us to go get a free agent just to fill the hole. 

Ofc we could add a safety, oline, wide receiver or running back, but I feel they are additional pieces which shouldn't compromise next seasons compensatory picks. 

Tashaun Gipson on a 3 year deal would make sense and would take safety as a need out of the equation in the draft. We have 4 wide receivers (Snead, Lasley, Moore, Scott) as well as 2 pass catching tight ends, which are still a lot of weapons in a run oriented offense. Getting additional pass catchers would make the most sense in the draft, where they come cheap

People aren't paying enough attention to this:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/2020/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2020/

The cap is going to be like $200M in 2020 and we aren't even close to half of that. And three of those top 4 contracts are very very possibly let go next offseason, if Jefferson even makes it that long. Even assuming the unlikely event that Williams, Carr and Jefferson stick through 2020, we currently have the 3rd least money allocated for 2020. It will soon be 2nd, once the Raiders get Antonio Brown added. The other team tried to get Antonio Brown and overpay him to live in Buffalo.

Because of the signing bonus being spread out over the length of contracts, the first year cap hit for any 3+ year deal is minimal (likely to be: (singing bonus / # of years) + 1M). So, it's not really the 2019 cap space/charge that matters.

There is just so much more money that we literally have to spend. If we can fill or avoid creating a starting hole with cap space, we really need to ask ourselves why we wouldn't. Be careful of listening too much to even the good NFL analysts out there judging moves. I'm very confident that if popular opinion was running, NFL teams, then they'd all be missing the salary floor and paying out money for nothing.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Danand said:

So far I can't find those glaring holes that forces us to go get a free agent just to fill the hole. 

Ofc we could add a safety, oline, wide receiver or running back, but I feel they are additional pieces which shouldn't compromise next seasons compensatory picks. 

Tashaun Gipson on a 3 year deal would make sense and would take safety as a need out of the equation in the draft. We have 4 wide receivers (Snead, Lasley, Moore, Scott) as well as 2 pass catching tight ends, which are still a lot of weapons in a run oriented offense. Getting additional pass catchers would make the most sense in the draft, where they come cheap

Right now FS is a glaring hole on the roster, and tbh I would also say WR is a glaring hole, followed by DE and RB, but adding a RB who doesn't really run downhill when our running scheme is predicated on downhill running isn't the answer IMHO.

Adding a free agent FS makes the most sense as the Safety market is absolutely stacked right now so the value is plummeting. The rest we can find in the draft or after cuts are made.

I'd only be looking at spending big on Paradis or a safety in free agency.  I'd be happy to keep Mosley for $10m/yr or less (not that is going to happen).

I'm still somewhat undecided on signing Bell, but think I could be happy if its its a short-ish deal (say 3 years max) with a reasonable out after 2 years

39 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'd only be looking at spending big on Paradis or a safety in free agency.  I'd be happy to keep Mosley for $10m/yr or less (not that is going to happen).

I'm still somewhat undecided on signing Bell, but think I could be happy if its its a short-ish deal (say 3 years max) with a reasonable out after 2 years

I think Bell is a really good player. The bagage with first the injuries, the drug related suspensions, the rap and now the personal controversy with his teammates and Steelers FO, I just think it is too much to pay at a position, where we can get a lot of production for a lot less. 

I agree that Paradis would be a good signing, although I can't say I have watched him play much, but something worked for that Denver Oline, and it certainly wasn't their tackles who played that well. 

Tashaun Gipson is an interesting option I think we should explore - the true free safety type, and I really really believe we have to find a specific centerfielder type to help Jefferson play to his strength and keep him far away from covering deep. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/10/antonio-brown-trade-raiders-steelers-nfl-free-agency-fmia-peter-king/?cid=pftstory

• Le’Veon to the Jets? New York, with $116 million in cap room and the motivation to spend with a GM who has to win this year, is the favorite to sign Bell. I can’t see Bell to the Colts except at a discount, and Bell will be motivated to make up what he lost last year (which he’ll never do). Smart football people think the Jets are the leaders in the Bell derby, with Washington and Miami possible too.

The Ravens really want C.J. Mosley back to quarterback their defense, but not at franchise linebacker prices. They might get outbid by someone out there—he’s a very well-liked player.

The Packers once tried to trade for Za’Darius Smith, the Baltimore edge rusher. Now, with a crying need on the edge, Green Bay could be a match with Smith in free agency.

23 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I have a feeling we aren't going to spend a lot of money this off-season and then finish next season under .500. Then go all out the next couple years.

I feel that don't have to spend a ton of money to be competitive this year. Fix the O-line and the Ravens should be fine.

35 minutes ago, RavensFC said:

Sign Tyrann Matheiu

Sign Cordell Patterson

Resign Brent Urban to “reasonable” deal

Resign RG3

Target Oline early in the draft with WR and RB in the mid rounds

lets get this super bowl 

I think this is where I'd be happy.

• Like 1