Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

People have to stop referencing players "Beating them out", "Winning a competition", "Earning their shot" etc etc....

There is this myth constantly hammered by the fanbase that there are all these "fair" & "equal" competitions going on across multiple positions, and the result of these magical competitions is everyone slotted perfectly/justly on the depth chart according to how they fared. With the coaching staff never failing to field the best/most worthy players. Which couldn't be farther from how the team has actually operated.

I don't know how many examples fans need before this relatively simple concept is drilled into their head. 

90% of the time, the most a player can do is put themselves "In the Conversation". 

One of the best and most recent examples is Orlando Brown Jr.. Harbaugh didn't want him to start, so he didn't. It didn't matter that he was (obvious to everyone)the best player for the job. It didn't matter that Hurst and Lewis were clearly not excelling. John didn't want to start him, and it had nothing to do with Orlando's ability.

I think the McPhee signing is good. We needed the depth. We've added two power rushers(McPhee & Ferguson) to compliment our speed guys in Judon, Bowser, and Williams. And if for some ungodly reason Pernell does actually take significant snaps away from any of our speed guys, the last conclusion I'm going to draw is that he won some sort of competition lol.

I know Wink loves Bowser, and so long as Tim stays right off the field- We should finally see their true debut this season. Ferguson will be the odd man out. He's a Rookie and we now have 5 bodies at the position. We've struggled to properly rotate 3, so don't hold your breath on seeing him this season. 

I'm good with McPhee being brought back. It seems like the team was absolutely going to sign a veteran pass-rusher so whatever. At least he brings (brought?) skills to the table that the other players on the roster don't really have. Ferguson being the closest, but still not that similar in my opinion.

44 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

People have to stop referencing players "Beating them out", "Winning a competition", "Earning their shot" etc etc....

There is this myth constantly hammered by the fanbase that there are all these "fair" & "equal" competitions going on across multiple positions, and the result of these magical competitions is everyone slotted perfectly/justly on the depth chart according to how they fared. With the coaching staff never failing to field the best/most worthy players. Which couldn't be farther from how the team has actually operated.

I don't know how many examples fans need before this relatively simple concept is drilled into their head. 

90% of the time, the most a player can do is put themselves "In the Conversation". 

One of the best and most recent examples is Orlando Brown Jr.. Harbaugh didn't want him to start, so he didn't. It didn't matter that he was (obvious to everyone)the best player for the job. It didn't matter that Hurst and Lewis were clearly not excelling. John didn't want to start him, and it had nothing to do with Orlando's ability.

I think the McPhee signing is good. We needed the depth. We've added two power rushers(McPhee & Ferguson) to compliment our speed guys in Judon, Bowser, and Williams. And if for some ungodly reason Pernell does actually take significant snaps away from any of our speed guys, the last conclusion I'm going to draw is that he won some sort of competition lol.

I know Wink loves Bowser, and so long as Tim stays right off the field- We should finally see their true debut this season. Ferguson will be the odd man out. He's a Rookie and we now have 5 bodies at the position. We've struggled to properly rotate 3, so don't hold your breath on seeing him this season. 

The OB example isn’t a particularly strong one imo. There’s no way to evaluate the counterfactual. How do we know how he was handling the actual playbook and line calls early in the season? How do we know if the way JH approaches these things doesn’t actually help push players to do what they need to in order to get on the field? The fact that he played wel after entering the starting lineup could suggest he should have been starting from day 1, but it could also suggest that JH knows which buttons to push to get the most out of his players. 

21 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I'm good with McPhee being brought back. It seems like the team was absolutely going to sign a veteran pass-rusher so whatever. At least he brings (brought?) skills to the table that the other players on the roster don't really have. Ferguson being the closest, but still not that similar in my opinion.

I like the move pending the money. Given teams familiarity with him and flexibility, I think he improves depth of the whole front 7 and helps expand the looks we can go with. 

3 hours ago, M.10.E said:

This. If Bowser/Williams can't beat out an ancient McPhee...

Let’s not get wound up over a hypothetical that hasn’t happened yet nor has there been any indication this is for anything more than depth/rotation. 

3 hours ago, RavensFC said:

The only positive is his interior pass rushing skill but I honestly don’t like this move because we have 3 young’s guys Bowser Williams and Ferguson let them prove themselves let them play. If McPhee is used for a few snaps a game I like it but if he ends up starting opposite of Judon im going to be very upset

We carried five edge guys last year and think that’s been the norm. This takes us from four to five. I don’t think This automatically edges anyone out. 

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

The OB example isn’t a particularly strong one imo. There’s no way to evaluate the counterfactual. How do we know how he was handling the actual playbook and line calls early in the season? How do we know if the way JH approaches these things doesn’t actually help push players to do what they need to in order to get on the field? The fact that he played wel after entering the starting lineup could suggest he should have been starting from day 1, but it could also suggest that JH knows which buttons to push to get the most out of his players. 

Why didn't you just type "I don't want to believe that". It would've saved you the pain from all that stretching you've just done.

Is Harbaugh really so exalted in some fans' minds that even his most obvious shortcomings/errors can't be acknowledged honestly?

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Why didn't you just type "I don't want to believe that". It would've saved you the pain from all that stretching you've just done.

Is Harbaugh really so exalted in some fans' minds that even his most obvious shortcomings/errors can't be acknowledged honestly?

Yeah it's much easier to believe the head coach of a football team who's livelihood is predicated upon winning games purposefully chooses to play worse players for some unknown reason lol get a grip

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah it's much easier to believe the head coach of a football team who's livelihood is predicated upon winning games purposefully chooses to play worse players for some unknown reason lol get a grip

It's not some unknown reason. Nor is it a controversial one. Harbaugh doesn't like to lean on young players, especially rookies. Few coaches do.

It's a normal/reasonable mindset to have. The only issue is when he follows the philosophy to a fault. Which he's done multiple times. To I believe, the detriment of the team.

John isn't thinking of it in "better" or "worse" terms. He's looking at it as, two players that have the ability to contribute something to the team- and one is more experienced than the other. Which is usually a safe route to take. He doesn't like to gamble on ability/potential, outweighing experience over the long haul. Which on a deep team carrying very few "lacking" players. Can lead to stunted development and a lack of contribution from capable players.

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I was an undersized and slow football player, my coach once said they tried to replace me for years with someone more athletic who could make more plays. In the end, those players they tried to replace me with made more mistakes, because they didn't watch as much film and was as much prepared, because they made the wrong calls or played the wrong assignment, because their effort could suddenly dip in the middle of a game because they were mentally tired, and because they tried to go for the big play all the time leading to missed tackles and long throws/runs/TD's.

Basically with me they got old, slow but reliable and I didn't make mistakes, but also not as many big plays as the other guys did.

This isn't about being exalted with Harbaugh, it is about understanding, that although a player can make splash plays, the mistakes he makes on several other plays will outweigh that 1-2 big plays.

Edited by Danand