Baltimore Ravens 2019 Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

Sounds like it's $5MM guaranteed with incentives making it potentially $13MM total.  Depending on the likelihood of the incentives being hit, I am somewhat glad we didn't pay that price.

EDC is forming his front office.

Several moves announced today, of most interest to me:

Taken from BR.com:

Matteo oversees day-to-day salary cap matters and general roster transactions. He joined the Ravens in January after working 10 years for the National Football League, where he was a member of the NFL’s Management Council. In that role, Matteo served as the senior director of labor operations and as a main point of contact for NFL club executives on various subjects, including player contracts, salary cap matters and collective bargaining agreement issues.

sounds good to me! 

Any interest in the following edge guys:

Nick Perry
Shane Ray
Adrian Clayborn
Aaron Lynch
Pernell McPhee

Also:

Jamie Collins

I wouldn't hate bringing McPhee back to help ease Ferguson's transition.  Perry and Ray may have some untapped potential as well.  I don't love any of these guys and there's a reason they remain unsigned.  That said, I don't know that I see us going into the season with only 4 edge guys (we've typically had 5 IIRC).  

Collins is an intriguing option as he sort of straddles ILB/OLB.  Some of the things I've heard about his discipline and ability to play within the scheme concerns me, though.

Sleeper - Markus Jones, UDFA from Angelo State is interesting.  6'3" 260lb EDGE with meh athleticism but awesome low-level (Div II) production.  17.5 sacks and 36.5 TFL in his senior season.

Edited by sp6488

I’m actually in favour of bringing in Jamie Collins. The versatility and athleticism could fit quite well into this defense and I believe we somewhat need a physical tone-setter, which Collins CAN be.  The questions is effort and whether or not he can be trusted within the defense and I don’t believe we as a team has had any with players like that since Lewis/Reed left.

it's an interesting thought if the locker room is still strong enough to include players with questionable personalities and get them focused. not much left of the old guard and nobody who i'd immediately consider a leader... ET maybe but he just joined so... not sure if Yanda would even bother to put up with a guy like Collins tbh

11 hours ago, berlin calling said:

and nobody who i'd immediately consider a leader

Why? Because we don't have stand out personalities like Sizzle or Ray anymore? We have plenty of leaders across multiple positions, as well as super high character players. The coaches have the respect of their players, Wink especially. That's what having a strong locker room means.

36 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Why? Because we don't have stand out personalities like Sizzle or Ray anymore? We have plenty of leaders across multiple positions, as well as super high character players. The coaches have the respect of their players, Wink especially. That's what having a strong locker room means.

It seems most of the secondary consist of leaders, Thomas, Jefferson, Levine, Smith and Carr. The linebacker group is young, but Kenny Young is a very eloquent person and could develop into a vocal leader. Brandon Williams is mentioned as the veteran and leader of the dline although he still has a goofy personality.

On offense it is a little different, where I have only seen Yanda mentioned as a leader while the addition on Ingram should help the skill players.

Ronnie Stanley and James Hurst have also been touted by players as big influences. Stanley is the team's players rep as well. Ozzie hit it out of the park with the selection of Orlando Brown Jr. who loomed large as a leader with his fellow OU lineman, and now he will do the same for us.

Chris Moore has clearly earned the respect of past and current players, with so many calling for him to start and also championing his work ethic. Zach Sieler said in an interview that Michael Pierce was a direct mentor to him last season. 

I mean the team specifically drafts high football character players that usually were respected leaders on their college teams. Almost to a fault. The only position that jumps out at me as possibly lacking is EDGE, and even that is nitpicking. 

Team cohesion and locker room stability are last on my list of concerns. 

30 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Ronnie Stanley and James Hurst have also been touted by players as big influences. Stanley is the team's players rep as well. Ozzie hit it out of the park with the selection of Orlando Brown Jr. who loomed large as a leader with his fellow OU lineman, and now he will do the same for us.

Chris Moore has clearly earned the respect of past and current players, with so many calling for him to start and also championing his work ethic. Zach Sieler said in an interview that Michael Pierce was a direct mentor to him last season. 

I mean the team specifically drafts high football character players that usually were respected leaders on their college teams. Almost to a fault. The only position that jumps out at me as possibly lacking is EDGE, and even that is nitpicking. 

Team cohesion and locker room stability are last on my list of concerns. 

What I can understand is that people look for that face of the franchise as Ray Lewis, jonathan ogden, Ed reed, Terrell Suggs and veteran with a big presence as a Steve Smith, but some of those was also generational types of leaders as well as a Brian Dawkins for instance.

7 minutes ago, Danand said:

What I can understand is that people look for that face of the franchise as Ray Lewis, jonathan ogden, Ed reed, Terrell Suggs and veteran with a big presence as a Steve Smith, but some of those was also generational types of leaders as well as a Brian Dawkins for instance.

Exactly, if "Leadership" is boiled down to players like them. And simple football loving high character but low profile players are excluded, then the entire league is in a crisis of leadership lol.

The steelers had plenty of "franchise faces" these past couple seasons, along with a "name" coach. Yet dysfunction was pervasive in their ranks.

I don't think you can ask for much more than what we have.

As a Browns fan I’m also a fan of you guys bringing in Jamie Collins.

To say he had a discipline problem is an understatement. He simply cannot do the right things. Constantly out of position, constantly missing tackles, can’t take on blocks...he makes 1-2 splash plays every game so people think he’s good. He is a horrible linebacker from a fundamental standpoint.