Around The League V.2

Totty

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Man, this was the class to grab a CB and a RT wasn’t it? Witherspoon was my favourite, looking like a superstar and Gonzalez and Porter looking nice. Dawand Jones was liked by a number of us too. 

I always thought this Dline class was deep too and a few guys like Keeanu Benton, Kobie Turner, the other Byron Young and Tuipolotu are flashing early. Obviously, hope our guys develop but maybe we missed a trick or two……….hope not!

Spoon was my first love back when he was just a third round projection. His rise was crazy from 3rd round to top 5 in like a month. 

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Spoon was my first love back when he was just a third round projection. His rise was crazy from 3rd round to top 5 in like a month. 

I can’t really recall him being a third round projection, I always thought he was an end round 1 / top round 2 type player. I thought we might be able to trade down and get him as I thought Gonzalez and Porter might go ahead of him. You just had to look at his film though to know he’d be a player

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I can’t really recall him being a third round projection, I always thought he was an end round 1 / top round 2 type player. I thought we might be able to trade down and get him as I thought Gonzalez and Porter might go ahead of him. You just had to look at his film though to know he’d be a player

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/devon-witherspoon-mock-draft-illinois/e3g7yixrygpayahvnuiimmko

“Witherspoon has been skyrocketing up draft boards in recent weeks after a stellar senior season for the Fighting Illini. The cornerback — who was projected as a second- or third-round pick not long ago — is now being lauded as a potential top-10 overall pick. Experts like ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. have mocked him as high as No. 7 overall.”

your memory is slipping homie you was the first to acknowledge me even bringing him up here and then you looked him up. I was never a gonzo guy it was spoon, Porter, gonzo in that order for me

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/devon-witherspoon-mock-draft-illinois/e3g7yixrygpayahvnuiimmko

“Witherspoon has been skyrocketing up draft boards in recent weeks after a stellar senior season for the Fighting Illini. The cornerback — who was projected as a second- or third-round pick not long ago — is now being lauded as a potential top-10 overall pick. Experts like ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. have mocked him as high as No. 7 overall.”

your memory is slipping homie you was the first to acknowledge me even bringing him up here and then you looked him up. I was never a gonzo guy it was spoon, Porter, gonzo in that order for me

Fair enough, I guess I was a little later on the bandwagon when he was fringe 1/2 😄😄

If I recall we were both high on Tuipolotu too

Edited by Darbsk

30 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Fair enough, I guess I was a little later on the bandwagon when he was fringe 1/2 😄😄

If I recall we were both high on Tuipolotu too

Tui yea that was you first then I looked him up I was late on him dexter from Florida was my dude

the spoon thing was crazy never saw a quick rise like that before 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I was all over Spoon, but it pisses me off that the draft was pretty much mapped out. Jalen Carter if he falls, if we didn't want to do that because of off the field issues. Then a top CB, Gonzalez or Spoon even trade down and still land Porter or Banks while adding picks, DL in the 2nd was so deep.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I was all over Spoon, but it pisses me off that the draft was pretty much mapped out. Jalen Carter if he falls, if we didn't want to do that because of off the field issues. Then a top CB, Gonzalez or Spoon even trade down and still land Porter or Banks while adding picks, DL in the 2nd was so deep.

Same. Spoon was no. 1 for me with Gonzalez 2nd. And pretty much every mock sim I ran I went DL I round 2 due to the depth. There were always so many that I felt would be good picks and that was true come the real draft

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, Devilshark69 said:

Right, and now we know that he wasn’t even on our board? Lol! That imo, shows how much control mcdummy had.

What’s the point of getting a big arm QB when you run an offense that doesn’t threaten the defense deep?  Honestly, Levis would have been a failure in JMD’s offense.  

21 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Man, this was the class to grab a CB and a RT wasn’t it? Witherspoon was my favourite, looking like a superstar and Gonzalez and Porter looking nice. Dawand Jones was liked by a number of us too. 

I always thought this Dline class was deep too and a few guys like Keeanu Benton, Kobie Turner, the other Byron Young and Tuipolotu are flashing early. Obviously, hope our guys develop but maybe we missed a trick or two……….hope not!

I’m a firm advocate in drafting Based upon the strength of the draft class, especially in rounds 2-5 and that’s something we have been horrible at doing for many years.  We need to find better value in those rounds.  Those are picks that for the most part aren’t expected to contribute immediately, instead are long term / “developmental” picks.  If you can find a 3rd round value in rounds 4-5 because the draft class is heavy at that position that can be the difference between getting a guy whose a backup to occasional starter and instead getting a guy who starts in year 2.

OL, DT, LB, and S are all positions where you can most easily find value in “heavy” draft classes at that position.

i’m also a big believer at “doubling up” in the mid rounds of a heavy positional draft class, especially on the OL and DL.  Example, getting a G and T when you have a weak OL because that’s a positional unit where the non elite college OTs regularly kick inside to G in the NFL and also a position group where players can move around the easiest. 

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m a firm advocate in drafting Based upon the strength of the draft class, especially in rounds 2-5 and that’s something we have been horrible at doing for many years.  We need to find better value in those rounds.  Those are picks that for the most part aren’t expected to contribute immediately, instead are long term / “developmental” picks.  If you can find a 3rd round value in rounds 4-5 because the draft class is heavy at that position that can be the difference between getting a guy whose a backup to occasional starter and instead getting a guy who starts in year 2.

OL, DT, LB, and S are all positions where you can most easily find value in “heavy” draft classes at that position.

i’m also a big believer at “doubling up” in the mid rounds of a heavy positional draft class, especially on the OL and DL.  Example, getting a G and T when you have a weak OL because that’s a positional unit where the non elite college OTs regularly kick inside to G in the NFL and also a position group where players can move around the easiest. 

exactly