Kitchens' Cabinet Tracker (Browns coaching staff is Complete. The Cabinet is full stocked!!!)

buno67

13 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I just want us to take every touch back and fair catch every punt. I’m so sick of ST penalties. Just let baker get the ball and get us yards. We need to be as conservative as possible. 

I love holding / block in the back penalties every punt. We even manage to do it on fair catches.

Priefer’s special teams units in MIN were some of the least penalized in the league iirc, so hopefully that travels with him.

Kick reruns need to focus on “making contact” as opposed to “swinging for the fences”.  I don’t think we need to try for long returns at the expense of either sloppiness or errors that lead to penalties that back us up.  Down the ball if you’re in the end zone, or prioritize a solid return over a potentially spectacular one.  We can’t start drives inside the 15.

All that said, we need much more from the PR game imo.  More big plays, more positive returns, all of it.  Peppers was quick to call a fair catch at times and hasn’t been able to bust anything of significance yet.  Maybe he’s not the guy to be returning punts, especially as he’s starting to look like a legit starting SS, but they need to figure it out.  We’ve left a lot of yards on the table here imo.

14 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Only punt returns no kick returns.

We have had 3 players score a kr td since 99.

Richard Alston, andre davis and cribbs.

So no kr td since 2012 or earlier.

That really blows. 

FWIW, there were only 5 KR TD's in the entire LEAGUE last year.  

8 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

FWIW, there were only 5 KR TD's in the entire LEAGUE last year.  

Won't be long before the kickoff is a thing of the past, and honestly I have embraced it at least at my level.

I truly believe small school high school football is less than 10 years from being extinct because of the attack on football at the bigger levels. The NFL, NCAA and even big high schools will always be able to weather the storm, but for Division 6/7 schools in Ohio where parents are under educated only see what the media pushed. The youth leagues are a complete disaster with terrible technique being taught combined with kids not being ready leading to injuries and then half those kids never play again in High School due to their own fears or parents won't let them. We now have so many young doctors coming into the field who have been force fed this garbage in this education that are anti football. Won't sign off on kids to return from concussion even several months removed from symptoms and advising parents to keep kids out of contact sports. The concussion attack alone is bad enough and there are several other reason kids no longer want to play high school football that many teams are struggling to even field 25 kids some less than 20. I know of at least 8 schools in Ohio who had to forfeit their remaining schedule because they lost a few kids and had no depth to keep going. The rate of decline in participation for these smaller schools is growing at an alarming rate which is just creating a greater divide between the giants of the small school level and the rest of the small schools which is a huge reason why schools like Marion Local and Kirkland have been able to completely dominate for an unprecedented period of time(No disrespect to those programs either they are phenomenally well coached). This growing divide just further discourages small school participation as no group of kids enjoy getting slaughtered by 50-60 points.

Because of the attack on football and the decline in participation I feel like small schools must adapt or die completely. If eliminating kickoffs to reduce high speed collisions is one the things needed to keep the sport alive then I say tradition be damned. It is still possible to have an opportunity to gain and extra possession as with an onside kick and even have an element of surprise with it you just have to be creative about it. I personally have several ideas fully thought out and worked through and several backers. It is just going to take time to implement such ideas. Along with eliminating the kickoff, onside kick and even punt returns small schools have numerous other changes that should be made in the name of safety the biggest of which is getting rid of the garbage idea of youth league tackle, but I will not bore you with my ideas about those since this was about the kickoff and I am quickly veering off on a tangent. 

@TheeRealDeal, I'll piggy back off of what you said as a fellow HS Coach. I don't disagree with anything you said (I coach at one of the biggest HS in the state of Ohio), but I'd also add a few observations of my own:

1. They eliminated kickoffs for freshmen games and made it optional at the JV level already starting this past season. JV Coaches must BOTH agree to it before the game, or it's eliminated as well. They've done so without any real study, which honestly doesn't bother me, because I'd rather our 9th graders focused more on the fundamentals and spent our practice time accordingly. Spending 1 hour a week on KO and KOR was the bane of my existence, especially when I'm trying to fill these depth spots out with back-ups to get them some playing time and keep them in the program. (I'm an asst varsity coach working with LB's, blitzing, 3rd down, etc. but also the head freshmen coach...we do everything 9-12.)

2. I've also coached baseball for the last 10 seasons, and our numbers have slowly dwindled. I personally 100% believe that a lot of this has to do with an era of specialization on a particular sport and not encouraging multi-sport athletes enough. Between AAU soccer/basketball, select baseball going through late July now (instead of the old July 4 sendoff tournaments), etc., numbers across the board, even in my BIG SCHOOL, have dwindled.

JMHO

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@TheeRealDeal, I'll piggy back off of what you said as a fellow HS Coach. I don't disagree with anything you said (I coach at one of the biggest HS in the state of Ohio), but I'd also add a few observations of my own:

1. They eliminated kickoffs for freshmen games and made it optional at the JV level already starting this past season. JV Coaches must BOTH agree to it before the game, or it's eliminated as well. They've done so without any real study, which honestly doesn't bother me, because I'd rather our 9th graders focused more on the fundamentals and spent our practice time accordingly. Spending 1 hour a week on KO and KOR was the bane of my existence, especially when I'm trying to fill these depth spots out with back-ups to get them some playing time and keep them in the program. (I'm an asst varsity coach working with LB's, blitzing, 3rd down, etc. but also the head freshmen coach...we do everything 9-12.)

2. I've also coached baseball for the last 10 seasons, and our numbers have slowly dwindled. I personally 100% believe that a lot of this has to do with an era of specialization on a particular sport and not encouraging multi-sport athletes enough. Between AAU soccer/basketball, select baseball going through late July now (instead of the old July 4 sendoff tournaments), etc., numbers across the board, even in my BIG SCHOOL, have dwindled.

JMHO

You sir are correct, but let me tell you good flipping luck convincing the other coaches to not do the kickoff especially if you are the smallest school in a conference and the other coaches know you simply don't have enough kids to get special teams reps. I don't know for sure but I feel they view it as an advantage so they have never agreed to eliminate it yet.

My home town where I played youth league football over 20 years ago just had a huge debate and split over kickoff. YOUTH LEAGUE!!! Still kicking off in 2019! It is a joke. There are too many meat heads want to force it on kids because they think it makes them tougher or better in someway for high school.

Specialization which there seems to be something for every sport except football is one of the many reasons for the downfall of participation I agree 100%. It is also a huge disservice to kids and anyone telling them otherwise is a clueless bafoon. I don't know exactly how it went down in last years draft but the year before 30 or 32 picks were 3 start high school athletes. When you hear from recruiters you hear the exact same first two questions from every single one of them 1). WHAT OTHER SPORTS DOES HE PLAY? and 2). What are his grades like? Every single recruiter want to know how a keep competes period. If any player is being recruited at all it means they clearly have talent of some sort now it is about how does that kid compete? And they want to know how he competes in other sports because they want to know is he truly a competitor or is he just really good at this particular sport?

Specialization is one of the many things I hold a giant middle finger up toward in regards to how it is crippling football.

2 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

You sir are correct, but let me tell you good flipping luck convincing the other coaches to not do the kickoff especially if you are the smallest school in a conference and the other coaches know you simply don't have enough kids to get special teams reps. I don't know for sure but I feel they view it as an advantage so they have never agreed to eliminate it yet.

That's ridiculous. Honestly, I've played some smaller schools with our B team or smaller JV teams with ours, and I'll accommodate WHATEVER those coaches want or need, whether it be a running clock (injury issues, etc.), moving the time of a game due to SAT/ACT, whatever. It's all about reps for these kids. We want our opponents (as long as they're non league) to have quality reps for their kids so that they get better and love football.

My home town where I played youth league football over 20 years ago just had a huge debate and split over kickoff. YOUTH LEAGUE!!! Still kicking off in 2019! It is a joke. There are too many meat heads want to force it on kids because they think it makes them tougher or better in someway for high school.

Absolutely asinine. Our youth league doesn't do kickoffs and neither does our 7th/8th grade OHSAA affiliate. 

Specialization which there seems to be something for every sport except football is one of the many reasons for the downfall of participation I agree 100%. It is also a huge disservice to kids and anyone telling them otherwise is a clueless bafoon. I don't know exactly how it went down in last years draft but the year before 30 or 32 picks were 3 start high school athletes. When you hear from recruiters you hear the exact same first two questions from every single one of them 1). WHAT OTHER SPORTS DOES HE PLAY? and 2). What are his grades like? Every single recruiter want to know how a keep competes period. If any player is being recruited at all it means they clearly have talent of some sort now it is about how does that kid compete? And they want to know how he competes in other sports because they want to know is he truly a competitor or is he just really good at this particular sport?

Specialization is one of the many things I hold a giant middle finger up toward in regards to how it is crippling football.

I blame a lot of other coaches who hold making the team/playing time over their kid. Throw in how 99% of people don't understand how recruitment works (look at their parents, their frame and whether or not they've maxed it out, including genetics, whether or not they're shaving regularly, how fast they are, etc.) and you've got the perfect storm. A few years ago I saw a flier for an EIGHT YEAR OLD TEAM that read "Does your son want to play at the next level?"...you've got to be joking me...what's the next level? The "tie your own shoes" league?

Archived