Conference Championship Games

Leader

Sorry, but Rodgers is not capable of all passes the way people suggest.  He's capable of BEING capable with the right practice/work, but he has the worst touch I have ever seen on screens and common RB routes/short passes. 

His touch on screens and hitting backs in stride is really terrible. 

Watch the touch Favre had on screen passes.  I know it sounds weird, but Brett Favre had the best touch literally of all time on screen passes and passes to running backs.  It was beautiful to watch, and Rodgers just does not have that touch. 

1:33-ish and 1:40-ish.  2:07-ish.  Just incredible how he was able to place the ball perfectly. 

There were screens this year where Rodgers was so god-awful at the touch of the throws that it completely killed any chance the screens had. 

Not hating, it's just the fact. 

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

2018 Rodgers was also:

not talented enough to recognize where to go with the ball pre-snap at the level of brady to play the short game.

not accurate enough on short passes to be as efficient as you need to be when you need 15 play drives to score.

not good enough at subtle movements in the pocket to maintain his composure and find receivers or live to play another down without taking a sack.

not trusting enough in his teammates to consider every eligible receiver a viable option

and, as you said, not patient enough to throw a short pass early in the down when there are routes with more upside

Like I just said, pretend 2018 never happened. Between the injuries and the coaching dysfunction it's going to be an outlier on his career.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Oh I agree, and you'd be wasting so much of Rodgers ability making him do so. I think you just have to pretend 2018 ever happened and then look at Rodgers' career. He's really freaking good, and the only guy I want him to play like is Aaron Rodgers.

You can’t just erase 2018, nor can you ignore that defenses know how to slow Rodgers down. I really think Rodgers and LaFleur will need to develop some new skills for Rodgers moving forward.  Obviously not completely abandon Rodgers natural M.O., but expand his skills and options.

22 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I sure hope AR emulates what Brady did last night.  It is damn near impossible to get to the QB when he throws it that quick.

Same here. Some call their offense boring yet why do so many teams suck at stopping them? The Chiefs couldn't stop the run. The Chiefs couldn't stop the screen passes. The Chiefs couldn't stop Brady marching down the field in back-to-back possessions when the Pats stopped dinking and dunking their way over the field. 

Opposing defenses have issues stopping New England but look what the Pats have done in the postseason so far: Keenan Allen, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce had a combined six catches. Six. They'll force you to beat them with your other players.

Now with Sony Michel, they have lots of balance. They'll run the ball down your throat if they want to. Stop the run and they'll start dinking and dunking. Stop that and he'll throw it to Gronk/Hogan/Dorsett. Offense wasn't the reason they lost the SB last season. Brady torched the Eagles despite not having Cooks for most of the game.

This boring offense has now scored 78 points in the postseason while allowing zero sacks so far. That McD guy might know what he's doing with the guys that they have.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

2018 Rodgers was also:

not talented enough to recognize where to go with the ball pre-snap at the level of brady to play the short game.

not accurate enough on short passes to be as efficient as you need to be when you need 15 play drives to score.

not good enough at subtle movements in the pocket to maintain his composure and find receivers or live to play another down without taking a sack.

not trusting enough in his teammates to consider every eligible receiver a viable option

and, as you said, not patient enough to throw a short pass early in the down when there are routes with more upside

Rodgers issues in 2018 had more to do with two significant issues.  First off, he didn't trust his receivers.  The only receiver he trusted on a regular basis was Davante Adams, and to a much lesser extent Randall Cobb.  That should hopefully rectify itself with a full offseason with MVS, ESB, and Jimmy Graham.  Secondly, he was on pace for the most throwaways in a season.  And not just barely eclipsing it, but by shattering it.  He wasn't willing to give his receivers the opportunity to make a play.  He's becoming the anti-Favre in this regard.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

it's going to be an outlier on his career.

Think so too.

McCarthy's TE ineptitude should be quickly fixed.  I'm expecting Matt Ryan 2016 production next year, and unprecedented production from the qb position the following year.

Just now, Leader said:

Sorry to hear that but its better to say whatevers bothering you than holding it in.

I tend to agree, but I’m having a hard time reconciling my anger right now.  My hatred for the Patriots is clouding my judgement, and my growing disgust with the officials and the league in general is also making me think irrationally.  I have so much I’d like to say - I just don’t know exactly how to articulate my anger without sounding like a petulant baby.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

You can’t just erase 2018, nor can you ignore that defenses know how to slow Rodgers down. I really think Rodgers and LaFleur will need to develop some new skills for Rodgers moving forward.  Obviously not completely abandon Rodgers natural M.O., but expand his skills and options.

Who slowed Rodgers down other than himself and Mac? Completely disagree it was because defenses figured Aaron out. There's no such thing as figuring out an elite QB, as Manning, Brees and Brady have shown.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Who slowed Rodgers down other than himself and Mac? Completely disagree it was because defenses figured Aaron out. There's no such thing as figuring out an elite QB, as Manning, Brees and Brady have shown.

I think defenses started to figure out the Packers offense several years ago - two high safeties and pressure Rodgers.  It’s not all on Rodgers obviously - the scheme got stale.  But if Rodgers had a role in the scheme - as we’ve discussed ad nauseum - then he was part of the offense being lethargic.

Notice I didn’t say “stop” Rodgers.  But anyone can clearly see he’s capable of being slowed down - same for Brees and Brady.

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I tend to agree, but I’m having a hard time reconciling my anger right now.  My hatred for the Patriots is clouding my judgement, and my growing disgust with the officials and the league in general is also making me think irrationally.  I have so much I’d like to say - I just don’t know exactly how to articulate my anger without sounding like a petulant baby.

Thats cool and prudent. Listen - I'm not a KC fan and I truly dont root against folks - or better put - rarely do. But I was yesterday. I definitely wanted NE out. If I have to listen to two weeks of how great Brady is....well, I might get to punking stage like you LOL. Truthfully, dont sweat it to the point its affecting you mentally/physically for an extended period. Truth? Its really not worth it.

I developed this....perspective after Young hit TO on 4th and forever and killed our shot at a SB. Back then - I was one of those "stand in front of the TV ready to tackle people" guys :) Get him!!! Get him!!! I was totally stressed and I stressed out all the animals in the house!

That dagger play was the last time I let myself go to that degree. Nope. No more.

The angriest I got this year? The loss to the Rams. I really wanted that game. A win (I thought) might really make a difference in our season. Wasnt to be.

Oh well.

Feel better soon.

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Rodgers issues in 2018 had more to do with two significant issues.  First off, he didn't trust his receivers.  The only receiver he trusted on a regular basis was Davante Adams, and to a much lesser extent Randall Cobb.  That should hopefully rectify itself with a full offseason with MVS, ESB, and Jimmy Graham.  Secondly, he was on pace for the most throwaways in a season.  And not just barely eclipsing it, but by shattering it.  He wasn't willing to give his receivers the opportunity to make a play.  He's becoming the anti-Favre in this regard.

I agree with this statement in totality especially not allowing his guys to make plays. I'll throw a few other things out there, he was more injured than any of us know. He didn't get enough playing time in preseason. His offensive line was allowing too much pressure up the middle which is a QB's worst nightmare. Guys weren't exactly getting open like we see so many other teams do on a consistent basis. I would say other than Davante Adams whose like 7-ELEVEN, always OPEN. 

Rodgers missed way too many passes he routinely makes. I said this after Davante Adams second year when people wanted to give up on him. Playing injured affects your performance a lot more than fans want to believe.

Aaron Rodgers is coming back with a vengeance next year, count on it!  

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Sorry, but Rodgers is not capable of all passes the way people suggest.  He's capable of BEING capable with the right practice/work, but he has the worst touch I have ever seen on screens and common RB routes/short passes. 

His touch on screens and hitting backs in stride is really terrible. 

Watch the touch Favre had on screen passes.  I know it sounds weird, but Brett Favre had the best touch literally of all time on screen passes and passes to running backs.  It was beautiful to watch, and Rodgers just does not have that touch. 

1:33-ish and 1:40-ish.  2:07-ish.  Just incredible how he was able to place the ball perfectly. 

There were screens this year where Rodgers was so god-awful at the touch of the throws that it completely killed any chance the screens had. 

Not hating, it's just the fact. 

I was going to say that we haven't had an offensive player with that kind of speed in forever, but that isn't really fair.  Apparently he ran a 4.17 40 yard dash (hand timed) and whether or not that is accurate, his speed is apparent on that video.  

https://fansided.com/2015/02/18/15-fastest-40-times-nfl-history/

Archived