Conference Championship Games

Leader

10 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Rodgers will never play like Brady.  People need to get that through their head here I think.

He's not a precision accurate passer over the middle of the field, and he knows it.  He's not a conductor at the line of scrimmage who believes in the running game and knows how to call an offense based completely on defensive alignment.  Brady learned to do this slowly over a really long career because he had to.  Brady and Mahomes throwing that up the sideline leading pass to a RB is something that Rodgers will probably never be good at. Ball placement and touch over the middle is never going to be Rodgers' forte.

You know what Tom Brady is really bad at that Rodgers is good at?  Throwing a sideline deep ball.  Throwing a deep comeback. Handling pressure up the middle even when guys are covered initially. Running with the football.

All I am talking about as far as emulating Brady is to get that ball out of there quickly to keep defenses on their heels and off of him.  

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

This.  Very much this.  Rodgers is arguably the most talented passer of our generation, yet he insists on these home run plays.  That's his biggest fault.  He's an "all or nothing" passer.

Has he always been this way tho?   I don't recall him doing this earlier in his career.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/watch_madden_even_called_pi_on_controversial_rams_saints_play/s1_12680_28268459

LOL, this has got to be the most fraudulent SB ever, BOTH teams made it in with help from the zebras. I expected this from the Pats refs (they usually get all the calls, see: last year's AFCCG), but not from an officiating crew during the most obvious DPI ever, Stevie Wonder could've saw that clear-as-day interference. Might as well call this the Refs Bowl.

Yes, let's focus on the non call.  That way Payton doesn't have to answer questions like; Why did you throw on 1st down when you wanted to run some clock?  How bout the pass itself, should have been intercepted if the CB just turns his head.  To top it off- New Orleans had the ball first in OT and FAILED.  Threw an interception and the rest is history.  The Saints fans sound just like the Cowboy fans after the Bryant no-catch.  It wasn't the last play, you still had an opportunity to win the game.  But F*** that, let's whine and cry.  

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Yes, let's focus on the non call.  That way Payton doesn't have to answer questions like; Why did you throw on 1st down when you wanted to run some clock?  How bout the pass itself, should have been intercepted if the CB just turns his head.  To top it off- New Orleans had the ball first in OT and FAILED.  Threw an interception and the rest is history.  The Saints fans sound just like the Cowboy fans after the Bryant no-catch.  It wasn't the last play, you still had an opportunity to win the game.  But F*** that, let's whine and cry.  

The difference is, there shouldn't have been any more game to play. Had that play been flagged as it clearly should have, the Saints wind out the clock and kick a chip shot FG to win the game.

Whereas had the Bryant no-catch stood as a catch, Rodgers still would've had approx. a minute and a half left to move the ball down the field and score on a defense that hasn't stopped him all game, so it wouldn't have necessarily been over. 

These two calls aren't comparable. 

1 hour ago, KManX89 said:

The difference is, there shouldn't have been any more game to play. Had that play been flagged as it clearly should have, the Saints wind out the clock and kick a chip shot FG to win the game. Whereas had the Bryant no-catch stood as a catch, Rodgers still would've had approx. a minute and a half left to move the ball down the field and score on a defense that hasn't stopped him all game, so it wouldn't have necessarily been over. These two calls aren't comparable. 

Each of the teams playing last weekend - every one of them - were the recipients of hundreds of judgement calls throughout the season. Calls which had bearing on the results of their regular season games - and afforded them opportunity to be in the playoffs - or not.

The public needs to chill (or lower) the "alarm and outrage" levels.

Unless they're willing to reduce a fast played / violent game to a replay infested, slow motion caricature of itself - the phrase "it happens" needs to enter into the dialog. Human error exists ALL OVER a football field. From those on the sidelines - to the players on the field - and yes - to the referees.

It happens.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Each of the teams playing last weekend - every one of them - were the recipients of hundreds of judgement calls throughout the season. Calls which had bearing on the results of their regular season games - and afforded them opportunity to play last in the Playoffs.

Unless they're willing to reduce a fast played / violent game to a replay infested, slow motion caricature of itself - the phrase "it happens" needs to enter into the dialog. Human error exists ALL OVER a football field. From those on the sidelines - to the players on the field - and yes - to the referees.

It happens.

Exactly. No calls are much better than bad calls in my book.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Each of the teams playing last weekend - every one of them - were the recipients of hundreds of judgement calls throughout the season. Calls which had bearing on the results of their regular season games - and afforded them opportunity to play last in the Playoffs.

It happens.

I get it, but still, that was such an easy call to make.  If it had happened to GB, in that situation, this forum would be blowing up.

I'm not excusing Payton's play calling at all....I felt like he really messed up the end of that game, but still the fact remains that the ref had a great view of the play and flat out failed at his job.  It is not acceptable.

Can you imagine being a Saints fan right now?  Last year they lost on the Minnesota Miracle and now they lose on that horrible officiating decision?  

Just now, vegas492 said:

I get it, but still, that was such an easy call to make.  If it had happened to GB, in that situation, this forum would be blowing up.

I'm not excusing Payton's play calling at all....I felt like he really messed up the end of that game, but still the fact remains that the ref had a great view of the play and flat out failed at his job.  It is not acceptable.

Can you imagine being a Saints fan right now?  Last year they lost on the Minnesota Miracle and now they lose on that horrible officiating decision?  

Again - I'm not getting in to the "Yeah buts....." about this one game or single call.

It HAPPENED to Green Bay. Clays "roughing" on Cousins which negated Alexanders INT. Bogus call. Judgement call. It had bearing.
It happened in KC/NE - the totally bogus "roughing" against Brady. The roughing didnt exist. Gave NE a first down at a critical moment in the game.
It happened in NOLA/LAR - when facemasking wasnt called against NOLA.

It happens. All the time. It happens.

The most the NFL can strive for is best competency and effort. Thats the best humans can provide.

I personally dont want the game reduced to a slo-mo TV game show - simply so coach potatoes can insure "they get it right".

Human error. It exists. It happens. Move on.

I like the aspect of being able to challenge penalties.  Just make it different rules from the rest of the review process. 

Change it from two challenges per game, three if you get the previous two right to one challenge per game, two if you get your first one right. 

No challenges in final two minutes of the half, EXCEPT for penalty plays. 

Penalties do not get reviewed automatically ever, and they HAVE to be challenged. 

Only have one penalty challenge per game regardless of outcome, separate from standard challenges. 

Would create a new coaching mechanic where they could essentially pick a play or two per game to get their way. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I like the aspect of being able to challenge penalties.  Just make it different rules from the rest of the review process. 

Change it from two challenges per game, three if you get the previous two right to one challenge per game, two if you get your first one right. 

No challenges in final two minutes of the half, EXCEPT for penalty plays. 

Penalties do not get reviewed automatically ever, and they HAVE to be challenged. 

Only have one penalty challenge per game regardless of outcome, separate from standard challenges. 

Would create a new coaching mechanic where they could essentially pick a play or two per game to get their way. 

This is the route I would go as well. Make penalties subject to being challenged, seems like common sense to me. However, I would make all penalties that result in a 15-yard or more penalty within final 2:00 minutes of the half automatically reviewed (which would basically include the two big ones: roughing the passer and pass interference). I don't think this would slow down the game really at all, plus, you're getting it right on the field. 

I think the single biggest positive impact the game could see for officiating is having a "live" official in the booth that can both overrule and issue penalties via the multitude of camera angles we now have.

It's archaic to expect old guys to run around and see everything the world's best athletes are doing at speeds above the capability refs possess.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I think the single biggest positive impact the game could see for officiating is having a "live" official in the booth that can both overrule and issue penalties via the multitude of camera angles we now have.

It's archaic to expect old guys to run around and see everything the world's best athletes are doing at speeds above the capability refs possess.

Honestly I'm not big on making penalties like pass interference, roughing the passer, holding, etc. reviewable, but I do think having a live booth official that can just radio in while the other officials are conferencing and say "I saw the arm hit the shoulder pad, not the helmet" or whatever without pushing it into a full-on review would be at least worth experimenting with.

1 minute ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Honestly I'm not big on making penalties like pass interference, roughing the passer, holding, etc. reviewable, but I do think having a live booth official that can just radio in while the other officials are conferencing and say "I saw the arm hit the shoulder pad, not the helmet" or whatever without pushing it into a full-on review would be at least worth experimenting with.

yep, I feel like there's this "sanctity" around making calls live on the field, and once an initial decision has been made it's nearly sacrosanct to change it. There's so many schit calls and no-calls that could be corrected in under 4-5 seconds by a stoic, un-emotional referee tucked away in a quiet box overlooking the field.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

yep, I feel like there's this "sanctity" around making calls live on the field, and once an initial decision has been made it's nearly sacrosanct to change it. There's so many schit calls and no-calls that could be corrected in under 4-5 seconds by a stoic, un-emotional referee tucked away in a quiet box overlooking the field.

I can see this as being a good thing as well.  With the speed of the players, the 1 time view that the ref has, there are plays that are going to be called or missed.  Thinking about the Edelman punt in the AFCCG, I am not sure where the refs were that need to be able to make that call, but it nearly impossible to get that close of a call correct in real time.  

Archived