Unbreakable Record: 8 Consecutive CC Title Games?

x0x

Will any team break the Patriot's 8 Consecutive Conference Title Game Appearances?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be broken?

• Yes, eventually.
    • No, never.

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Records will always be broken but this one will stand for a good 60 years probably. 

Depending on how a league functions.

The NBA hasn't come close to emulating the Boston Celtics 8 straight titles or 10 straight finals. A GOAT candidate player has made 8 straight finals but not the same and still doesn't beat Bill Russell's 10 and unlikely to do so.

Nobody has touched the Yankees success in the 50s/60s in MLB.

Clearly nobody is going to win 5 or likely even 4 straight Stanley Cups and certainly not 6 to break record.

Plus it's very possible the NFL doesn't exist as it does in 60 years.

Nah man, some records will never get broken.

Shout out to Night Train Lane's sole possession of 14 INTs in a season being untouched for now 66 years (in 12 game season).

20 hours ago, CKS97 said:

Playing in the worst division in NFL history and never playing WC Weekend helps a lot.

This.  Not taking away anything from Belichick and Brady but AFC East c'mon maaan.  How can you be that bad for so long, specifically the Bills and Dolphins?

20 hours ago, CKS97 said:

Playing in the worst division in NFL history and never playing WC Weekend helps a lot.

This.

Look, Brady is the GOAT. BB is the GOAT coach. I'm fine with that.

But the Bears and Vikings have on multiple occasions fielded a team good enough to win the NFC North over Rodgers. The Jags and Titans fought against Peyton Manning a few times and the Titans won that division against a healthy Manning at least once.

The Patriots have been gifted their division by the ineptitude of the other three teams, and then the Patriots often secured a first round bye and sometimes home field. Having the GOAT QB and coach, a terrible division and a first round bye - they should have made the AFCCG all these times.

I don't buy the whole "Pats division is the worst" argument.  Like someone else posted, Brady dominates versus other divisions too, and this is playing a first place schedule almost every year.  This is a very impressive streak that they're on, and I don't think any team will be able to surpass the Patriots current streak for at least 8 years. 

What divisions have been consistently "tough" over this stretch anway?  AFC North?  Seems like a good chunk of years the other divisions either had 1 strong team or no strong teams.

22 minutes ago, Jotun_Fan said:

I don't buy the whole "Pats division is the worst" argument.  Like someone else posted, Brady dominates versus other divisions too, and this is playing a first place schedule almost every year.  This is a very impressive streak that they're on, and I don't think any team will be able to surpass the Patriots current streak for at least 8 years. 

What divisions have been consistently "tough" over this stretch anway?  AFC North?  Seems like a good chunk of years the other divisions either had 1 strong team or no strong teams.

It's not a question of whether or not Brady is great vs. his division and not vs. other divisions, it's that the AFCE as a whole has sucked for over a decade now. That's unbelievable.

In defense of the AFC East, since 2000 it has produced an additional playoff team in 8 seasons and 2 in 1. Furthermore there were several years where an 8-8 or 9-7 team in the division didn't make the playoffs.

By comparison if we look at the the NFC West, it had an additional playoff team in 9 seasons and never more than 2 total.

I think you have to look at CC and SB appearance by divisions to get a better understanding of which ones truly suck. And it's the AFC South and West that start to come up as definitively worse than the AFC East.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:22 PM, CKS97 said:

How many times does this myth need to be debunked before people stop using it?

On 15/01/2019 at 2:56 AM, SkippyX said:

Golic and Wingo did a great job doing statistical comparisons on Brady and his 13 AFCCGs in 17 seasons of playing.

• Not counting the rookie season as a backup or the injury in week 1 in 2008.

Brady is more likely to get to an AFCCG (76.5%) than Brees is to complete a pass this year(74.4%)

Brady is more likely to get to the AFCCG than NFL QBs completing a 5 yard pass (something like 73.5%)

Brady is more likely to get to an AFCCG than LeBron hitting a free throw (73.8%)

Useless. Just useless

10 minutes ago, Elky said:

How many times does this myth need to be debunked before people stop using it?

Listen it’s not THE reason why, but you’d have to be naive to act like it has not played its part. They’re a great franchise that’s probably a bigger reason but there’s no way in my eyes that had they been in the AFC North or AFC West that they would’ve gone to 8 straight championship games. No way. They could’ve gone to 5 out of 8 maybe even 6. But not 8 straight. In the AFC East, and think about this, you’re guaranteed to go at least 4-2 each year 

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Listen it’s not THE reason why, but you’d have to be naive to act like it has not played its part. They’re a great franchise that’s probably a bigger reason but there’s no way in my eyes that had they been in the AFC North or AFC West that they would’ve gone to 8 straight championship games. No way. They could’ve gone to 5 out of 8 maybe even 6. But not 8 straight. In the AFC East, and think about this, you’re guaranteed to go at least 4-2 each year 

You still have to win the wilcard and/or division round.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:03 PM, FrantikRam said:

This.

Look, Brady is the GOAT. BB is the GOAT coach. I'm fine with that.

But the Bears and Vikings have on multiple occasions fielded a team good enough to win the NFC North over Rodgers. The Jags and Titans fought against Peyton Manning a few times and the Titans won that division against a healthy Manning at least once.

The Patriots have been gifted their division by the ineptitude of the other three teams, and then the Patriots often secured a first round bye and sometimes home field. Having the GOAT QB and coach, a terrible division and a first round bye - they should have made the AFCCG all these times.

Since 2001, the Patriots win% vs. the Bears, Vikings and Lions is over 90%. It's like 78% vs. the Bills, Jets and Dolphins. I wish the Patriots could have switched with the Packers in 2001 so they could dominate the trash NFC North.

Brady is 6-3 in the playoffs against the AFC West

He is 5-2 in the playoffs against the AFC North

He is 11-1 in the playoffs against the AFC South

He is 1-1 in the playoffs against the AFC East

Maybe the truthers are on to something. The rest of the AFC sucks so bad that the AFC East needs to more do to stop Brady because those other squads can't handle him.

A QB who is 22-6 against the rest of the AFC is not being propped up by their division.

Who cares if Miami or Buffalo made a few extra wild cards and got killed in round 1 or lost in Pittsburgh or New England in the Divisional Round?

Archived