2019 Draft: Targets

G08

On 2/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, AZBearsFan said:

NYDN is projecting Isaiah Crowell as a possible cut with the Jets in the Le’Veon sweepstakes. He’s a guy who really intrigues me. Battled a foot injury basically all of last year but prior to that was pretty productive in 4 years for a woeful Cleveland squad, and he’s a capable receiver as well (40 catches in 2016 before Duke emerged as their primary 3rd down back). Paired with a rookie I could get behind that. 

I've always liked him... dude runs HARD.

11 hours ago, G08 said:

I've always liked him... dude runs HARD.

This dude got in trouble in hs, kicked out of college, failed a drug test, has multiple unsportsmanlike penalties, posted a picture of a cop getting his throat slit open on instagram and been on multiple teams with NOBODY  wanting to keep him around long.

Hard hard pass.  

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This dude got in trouble in hs, kicked out of college, failed a drug test, has multiple unsportsmanlike penalties, posted a picture of a cop getting his throat slit open on instagram and been on multiple teams with NOBODY  wanting to keep him around long.

Hard hard pass.  

Holy crap. I liked him due to what I saw on the field, but had absolutely zero clue about any of that. 

I'm such as disappointment as an armchair GM. Lol

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Hard hard pass.  

But Kareem Hunt can beat the **** out of a woman and it’s all copacetic. Glad we know where the line is.

Crowell has the EXACT skill set we are looking for - he’s a powerful back between the tackles who’s good at the goal line, has breakaway speed, reasonably low mileage, good receiving skills and who seldom fumbles. And, unlike Hunt, he’s NOT facing an imminent suspension. 

46 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

But Kareem Hunt can beat the **** out of a woman and it’s all copacetic. Glad we know where the line is.

Crowell has the EXACT skill set we are looking for - he’s a powerful back between the tackles who’s good at the goal line, has breakaway speed, reasonably low mileage, good receiving skills and who seldom fumbles. And, unlike Hunt, he’s NOT facing an imminent suspension. 

He is also as expensive if not more than Howard. I am not sure he is what we are looking for.

56 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is also as expensive if not more than Howard. I am not sure he is what we are looking for.

He’s gonna cost more than Howard but also likely not as much as Ingram or Coleman. His current deal signed last offseason is for 3/12. Talent-wise he’s a realistic multi-year option at the position. If they like him as a fit is that worth a conditional late rounder in 2020 for a guy NYJ will be cutting if they sign Bell anyway? I sure think so. His remaining cap hits to us (after NYJ absorbs the remaining prorated signing bonus) would only be $4M a year for 2 years, with zero remaining guarantees. That lets us move on next offseason with no cap implications if we need the cap space, if he has any off the field issues or if he stinks.

Also, if I’m not mistaken adding him via trade instead of adding a guy on the same deal in FA does not negatively impact us as far as the comp pick formula goes.  

51 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It doesn’t effect comp picks.

I feel like drafting a guy and paying him close to the minimum for 4 years is the way to go.

However it is, is already going to lose touches to Cohen. Keeping that positon cheap I think is best over the next few years.

I’m not worried about Cohen’s share of carries as it pertains to our primary runner. He had 99 carries last year and Howard was still 6th in the league in rush attempts. 

Ideally, yes, you want your RB on a minimum deal. I just don’t think you can count on a mid-round rookie coming in and being ready to fill that role right away with your only fallback option being the 2018 RB you already believe isn’t up to par for what you need at the position in this offense.

Trading for Crowell doesn’t prevent you from just cutting him at the end of the preseason if you draft a guy in round 3 or 4 and he asserts himself as ready to be your main guy right away because you can cut or trade Crowell after trading for him for no cap implication at all. But it does give you an immediate better fit than Howard should that rookie not be ready for prime time in 2019, in a year you believe you have a legitimate chance to win the Super Bowl, and his cost while not a minimum contract is entirely manageable and without any commitment of duration. 

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It doesn’t effect comp picks.

I feel like drafting a guy and paying him close to the minimum for 4 years is the way to go.

However it is, is already going to lose touches to Cohen. Keeping that positon cheap I think is best over the next few years.

Agreed.

Unless Howard is traded for some draft booty (still doubtful IMHO) I see no reason to sign a vet RB over drafting a rookie.  The draft as some good looking back who'll fall into the middle rounds and we get a shot at a redo of what we have in Howard.

I don't really subscribe to the idea that Howard can't fit into this offense.  A good part of our problem with the running game in 2018 wasn't all on Howard.  Losing Kyle Long hurt.  Abandoning our zone scheme for a power gap scheme hurt.  And Nagy's failure to incorporate it into his game plans and his play calling hurt.

Once some of that was fixed Howard's production was square on with his 2017 numbers and the guy did score nine TDs for us.

IMHO the only reason for signing a vet RB is that we plan to trade Howard and so far there's been no sign of that.  If we do then maybe it's time to look at vet RBs and there will be a few to choose from later on so there's no rush.  I think this is one we take one step at a time because even ending up with Howard in his contract year isn't necessarily a bad thing.

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Because I was willing to take a chance, emphasis on word chance, on Hunt going forward doesn't mean I want any fool on my team regardless of red flags.

It's a case by case basis with lots of factors and variables.  

8 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Because I was willing to take a chance, emphasis on word chance, on Hunt going forward doesn't mean I want any fool on my team regardless of red flags.

It's a case by case basis with lots of factors and variables.  

I don’t disagree with that at all. I just find hitting a woman to be more egregious than anything Crowell has done. I was willing to give Hunt a shot too. 

Also, outside of the Instagram thing (way over the line even in reaction to the Castille death but nowhere near to the level of beating a woman IMO) he hasn’t been in any trouble in the NFL in 5 years. No suspensions. Minimal fines for on-field conduct. I think he got penalized for his celebration pretending to wipe his *** with the ball which is dumb but hardly a character concern. Crowell’s “problem years” were in college. He’s going on year 6 in the league now. Hunt’s transgressions are much more recent. To me Hunt is the bigger character liability between the two, and it’s not close. I can’t justify using character to exclude Crowell as a potential add if I wasn’t also willing to do so with Hunt. 

On 2/21/2019 at 9:03 PM, AZBearsFan said:

He kicked a woman after she called him the N word. Glad that's "beating the ****" out of someone in your eyes

51 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He kicked a woman after she called him the N word. Glad that's "beating the ****" out of someone in your eyes

Yeah, I feel like Tyreek Hill and Hunt are getting confused here. Hill had the DV charge in college, but I don't remember Hunt having it then.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, Sugashane said:

Holy crap. I liked him due to what I saw on the field, but had absolutely zero clue about any of that. 

I'm such as disappointment as an armchair GM. Lol

Ditto. I had no freaking idea about all that.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Hitting a woman is hitting a woman. She was WAY in the wrong but that doesn’t make his actions in any way acceptable. 

Archived