Raiders Defense

Rolni

On 10/2/2017 at 12:32 PM, Chali21 said:

I'd take a tackle before a corner. The defense has played pretty well so far but Penn and Newhouse won't be enough next year.

They are grooming a couple tackles. Sharpe has a chance I would say. But certainly need to get a future LT. Penn is on his last legs. 

This is the holes we need to address on the defense

Questions that have been answered:

Mario Edwards looks like he has returned to being a force... Still have fingers crossed he can stay healthy

Eddie Vanderdoes is playing like he is going to be a starter for a long time

Corey James is a natural weakside linebacker. Thriving in new Role

Karl Joseph is staying healthy and proving he can play

Blind faith that OBI can ball for us

Amerson might be going the Nick Roach route with his concussion... Time will tell how it pans out.

Conely is promising  

2018 Defense

Base: Edwards

UT: Vanderdoes

NT:

Leo: Mack

WLB: James

MLB:

SLB: Irvin

CB: Conely

CB: Amerson ?

FS: Joseph

SS: OBI

Not in horrible shape at all. Could upgrade a few positions, one more solid offseason and this defense will be something to wreck with

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Morrow and Lee are nice depth players...  Also I would like to add another pass rusher early in the draft... Can never have too many

Maybe Morrow can be a good depth guy, but I have very little faith in Lee. Depth is an issue for a defense that has played well (all things considered), but has also stayed relatively healthy. Still, lack of talent at linebacker can easily be hidden as the long-term problem remains  in the secondary.

I’d like to see long term answers at corner outside of Conley. The team hasn’t had a reliable slot corner in a while.

What does everyone think regarding us keeping Sean Smith around for the full 4 years?  Is he worth it?  I think he's playing better, but I'm sure there are people here who could say whether or not he really is playing better compared to last year.

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

What does everyone think regarding us keeping Sean Smith around for the full 4 years?  Is he worth it?  I think he's playing better, but I'm sure there are people here who could say whether or not he really is playing better compared to last year.

I think it's a risk reward type deal that will have to wait til the end of the year to be answered. Smith had a good game last week but that doesnt mean he'll make it a trend. He has a top 5 cap hit on our team that we can dump if we find another option. So if we sign or draft a top talent at corner then you look at the cap and ask if he is expendable. Without any additions of note at corner I think it's clear we should keep him at this point. But we still have 3/4 of the year and crazier things have happened than McDonald or Hamilton becoming trustworthy on the field.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

Lol he's definitely not seeing the end of that contract. I think he's gone next off-season.

He is not a consistent player. One week gets torn up by Vernon Davis and gets benched, the next he plays solidly vs Demaryious Thomas. 

Inconsistent + Old = Gone

Just Totally not worth it.

Edited by SilverNBlackFan
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Something I was wondering today is how would the defense look and feel if the team took Myles Jack in 2016 and Reuben Foster in 2017. I know Reggie devalues the position but it would have made for a heck of a front 7.

Keeping in mind that it's a only week 4, it's arguable that James vs Jack and Lee(or Morrow if you wanna sub him in) vs Foster haven't had better games than those 2.

Cory james is my biggest whiff so far as far as draft picks. The guy has been an absolute BALLER this year. I was rewatching his plays and he's always in the right place, plays the run very well, and forcing turnovers is just one more plus. Dude will make a name for himself at this rate.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2017 at 12:21 PM, Humble_Beast said:

This is the holes we need to address on the defense

Questions that have been answered:

Mario Edwards looks like he has returned to being a force... Still have fingers crossed he can stay healthy

Eddie Vanderdoes is playing like he is going to be a starter for a long time

Corey James is a natural weakside linebacker. Thriving in new Role

Karl Joseph is staying healthy and proving he can play

Blind faith that OBI can ball for us

Amerson might be going the Nick Roach route with his concussion... Time will tell how it pans out.

Conely is promising  

2018 Defense

Base: Edwards

UT: Vanderdoes

NT:

Leo: Mack

WLB: James

MLB:

SLB: Irvin

CB: Conely

CB: Amerson ?

FS: Joseph

SS: OBI

Not in horrible shape at all. Could upgrade a few positions, one more solid offseason and this defense will be something to wreck with

Agreed. If Obi pans out, this might be Reggie's next best draft after the GOAT 2014 one.

If I was picking "needs" for the Raiders next year, it would be :

1.CB

2.LB

3.Edge

4. OT

12 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Cory james is my biggest whiff so far as far as draft picks. The guy has been an absolute BALLER this year. I was rewatching his plays and he's always in the right place, plays the run very well, and forcing turnovers is just one more plus. Dude will make a name for himself at this rate.

Agreed, I love the guy.  He's got a nasty demeanor and I've been impressed at his ability to get off blocks.  He doesn't get locked up too much.  Must be his time playing edge.

Just now, Silver&Black88 said:

Agreed, I love the guy.  He's got a nasty demeanor and I've been impressed at his ability to get off blocks.  He doesn't get locked up too much.  Must be his time playing edge.

For sure he's my biggest miss I advocated for us to cut him his rookie year to keep someone else xD.

That being said, I was the biggest Mario Edwards Jr. supporter predraft and mocked him to us so I'll just pretend they cancel out.

3 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

For sure he's my biggest miss I advocated for us to cut him his rookie year to keep someone else xD.

That being said, I was the biggest Mario Edwards Jr. supporter predraft and mocked him to us so I'll just pretend they cancel out.

I was not happy with MEJ. I really wanted Landon Collins super badly once he fell.  Preston Smith and Eric Kendricks were some of my boys too that year.

34 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agreed. If Obi pans out, this might be Reggie's next best draft after the GOAT 2014 one.

If I was picking "needs" for the Raiders next year, it would be :

1.CB

2.LB

3.Edge

4. OT

Edit -

1b. NT

The defense starts in the middle. Jelly is a FA and we have no one else unless we plan on Vander or Lathum gaining 20 pounds.