πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

21 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

You're the Dwight of FF. I applaud your commitment though.

You dont find it interesting that there is literally 0 statistical connection between any rushing stat and winning?Β 

Its literally like 40% of what happens in a sport we love..... and there is no measurable way to show it helps you win.Β 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

You dont find it interesting that there is literally 0 statistical connection between any rushing stat and winning?Β 

Its literally like 40% of what happens in a sport we love..... and there is no measurable way to show it helps you win.Β 

I gotta imagine if your team out rushes theΒ opponent, you’d win most of the time, no?Β 

I don’t think there’s much correlation to winning in bulk stats. I’ve said this for a while though. I think you’ll see a lot of Super Bowl teams supported with a top 10ish run game but to say the top rushing teams from year to year are always in the championshipΒ is probably unfounded. But on a micro level, I’d venture a guess that the team that wins the rushing battle game to game is most likely to win. Or at least like 70% of the time.Β 

Interesting though.Β 

So I took the winning percentage of all teams in the league last year, their Rushing Yards per game, and their cumulative passer rating.

8nipY6H.png

KiqjlHE.png

As you can see, both show a notable correlation. But the correlation factor, the first value in the binomial equation, (the one with the x) is in fact stronger in terms of rushing yards per game, than is it on the passer rating one.Β 

Now, now, now. Taking into account that Passer Rating typically has less variation in sheer number alone.Β 

The variance in Rushing YPG vs Winning percentage is 0.55 (=49.6/89.4), where the Passer Rating is 0.63 (=44.8/70.4). Meaning that an improvement in passer rating is in fact more likely to lead to more wins than an improvement in rushing yardage.Β 

However the discrepancy Matts wants to make of rushing not correlating with winning, is silly.Β 

Edited by Danger
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Danger said:

However the discrepancy Matts wants to make of rushing not correlating with winning, is silly.

I knew there was a reason I always respected you. Damn man. Brilliant.

One thing though, its ANY/A. Well, actually, ANY/A over opponent. Its literally the onlyΒ  highly correlated/predictive stat in football.Β 

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I knew there was a reason I always respected you. Damn man. Brilliant.

One thing though, its ANY/A. Well, actually, ANY/A over opponent. Its literally the onlyΒ  highly correlated/predictive stat in football.Β 

I will look more into that later tonight.Β 

• Like 1