EDGE Free Agents

rcon14

1 hour ago, rcon14 said:

I don't think that's fair. Perry was very good and now his body doesn't work anymore. So two first round picks: Two hits. You can't expect anything from mid-late round EDGEs generally.

Hard to say both Clay and Perry being hits.  Perry has been more underwhelming in his time with GB, more for injury reasons, so one could debate that for sure.

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Hard to say both Clay and Perry being hits.  Perry has been more underwhelming in his time with GB, more for injury reasons, so one could debate that for sure.

It's hard to say that Perry isn't a "hit" IMO. Depending on how you define hit, though.

If a "hit" is someone who outplays their draft position,  Perry almost certainly will. The expected career AV for pick 28 is 31. Perry is sitting at an AV of 25 currently and 2 more years in the league as a role player will push him above his expected value.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

It's hard to say that Perry isn't a "hit" IMO. Depending on how you define hit, though.

If a "hit" is someone who outplays their draft position,  Perry almost certainly will. The expected career AV for pick 28 is 31. Perry is sitting at an AV of 25 currently and 2 more years in the league as a role player will push him above his expected value.

already outperformed his rookie contract value

Good and Interesting post.

It makes me want Barr more (he’s been very underutilized in MN).

I do think you should throw out Bradford from the analysis. I want to say he was moved to ILB right away and just never learned the position. 

It is kind of sad we’ve ignored the position so much.

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

Its hard to say.   Poor Perry can't stay healthy.

Perry wise...he never played that fast.  I think he's a perfect example of a kid who trained for the combine and nailed it.  That 40 yard time never showed up on Packer film.  Power?  For days.  But not the speed.

Barr...given he's played inside, he may be someone that we get for an EDGE that will cost MLB money.  I'm coming around on him.  

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Perry wise...he never played that fast.  I think he's a perfect example of a kid who trained for the combine and nailed it.  That 40 yard time never showed up on Packer film.  Power?  For days.  But not the speed.

Barr...given he's played inside, he may be someone that we get for an EDGE that will cost MLB money.  I'm coming around on him.  

I think there's a misunderstanding of what I mean by speed. Speed for this sake isn't the ability to just run around the OT. The 3C and shuttle drills are better barometers of that because once you get to the edge, you have to be able to bend around them or you'll just get washed away. Speed to power guys are your bull rushers. So guys who have good speed and good power scores fall into that category, like Perry.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

34 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

I think there's a misunderstanding of what I mean by speed. Speed for this sake isn't the ability to just run around the OT. The 3C and shuttle drills are better barometers of that because once you get to the edge, you have to be able to bend around them or you'll just get washed away. Speed to power guys are your bull rushers. So guys who have good speed and good power scores fall into that category, like Perry.

I should have elaborated...about Perry's speed.  No misunderstanding at all, I very much get where you are coming from.

On the surface, he was 260 or 270 pounds.  Ran a 4.64 or something like that at the combine.  Hit 4.59 or something like in his private workout.  That pure speed never showed up in Green Bay.  Not in chasing anything from behind.  Nor in any pass rush moves.  He was a power player with enough speed to get the job done.

Since I was looking that Perry stuff up...6'3'' 271 pounds.  4.64 40.  35 reps.  38.5 vertical.  124 broad.  7.25 3 cone.  4.66 20 yard shuttle.  Official combine results.

Did you take his combine scores for everything except 40 yard dash, then put in a private workout number?   I'm curious, not attacking in any way.  Because I remember him running just under 4.6, but can't find that now.  His combine 40 is listed at 4.64, though.

Clay, too.  His combine 40 was 4.67.  Not 4.58 as listed on your main post.  Where did the alternate and better 40's come from?

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I should have elaborated...about Perry's speed.  No misunderstanding at all, I very much get where you are coming from.

On the surface, he was 260 or 270 pounds.  Ran a 4.64 or something like that at the combine.  Hit 4.59 or something like in his private workout.  That pure speed never showed up in Green Bay.  Not in chasing anything from behind.  Nor in any pass rush moves.  He was a power player with enough speed to get the job done.

Since I was looking that Perry stuff up...6'3'' 271 pounds.  4.64 40.  35 reps.  38.5 vertical.  124 broad.  7.25 3 cone.  4.66 20 yard shuttle.  Official combine results.

Did you take his combine scores for everything except 40 yard dash, then put in a private workout number?   I'm curious, not attacking in any way.  Because I remember him running just under 4.6, but can't find that now.  His combine 40 is listed at 4.64, though.

Clay, too.  His combine 40 was 4.67.  Not 4.58 as listed on your main post.  Where did the alternate and better 40's come from?

All numbers, aside from the 10-yard split (which I had to find separately) are from pro-football reference combine results tool.

Archived