Popular mock picks you don't agree with

bomont

16 minutes ago, skhurst0398 said:

Agree that stature matters. You said he's not even a day 2 pick though and if you're basing that on stature alone, then you're ignoring the part that has allowed other smaller stature quarterbacks to succeed. 

And he did say that he's playing football, not baseball, when he declared for the NFL draft. 

No I said he may not be a 1st round pick even if he commits 100%. Day 2 was solely based on if he didn't come out 100% as playing football. There is a reason I put the parenthetical where I did.

No he didn't. He's keeping his options open. He specifically said he may still play baseball and is in fact discussing a major league deal with A's. At best you're making an inference. I'm not using a day 1 or 2 pick based on something implied. I want him to be explicit.

4 minutes ago, mse326 said:

No I said he may not be a 1st round pick even if he commits 100%. Day 2 was solely based on if he didn't come out 100% as playing football.

No he didn't. He's keeping his options open. He specifically said he may still play baseball and is in fact discussing a major league deal with A's.

Sorry, what I meant on the latter is that he prefers football to baseball. The fact that he was drafted by the A's had no impact on his intention to play football. He stated such. This seems to me that he desires to play football over all else.

2 minutes ago, skhurst0398 said:

Sorry, what I meant on the latter is that he prefers football to baseball. The fact that he was drafted by the A's had no impact on his intention to play football. He stated such. This seems to me that he desires to play football over all else.

There is a reason he was signed. He was saying all last year to everyone leading to the MLB draft that he was going to sign but wanted to play one more year of football for Oklahoma. Whether he prefers football or not is irrelevant. He's going to do what is best for his career. All he has to do to convince me is say he's not playing baseball. There is a reason he hasn't and that is because he isn't 100% on football. It isn't a negotiating tactic since rookie deals are set so that is the only explanation. Would you really spend a 1st round pick on a player who merely prefers football but may decide to play baseball instead?

16 minutes ago, mse326 said:

There is a reason he was signed. He was saying all last year to everyone leading to the MLB draft that he was going to sign but wanted to play one more year of football for Oklahoma. Whether he prefers football or not is irrelevant. He's going to do what is best for his career. All he has to do to convince me is say he's not playing baseball. There is a reason he hasn't and that is because he isn't 100% on football. It isn't a negotiating tactic since rookie deals are set so that is the only explanation. Would you really spend a 1st round pick on a player who merely prefers football but may decide to play baseball instead?

Your going to die at this but I wouldn't take him in the first because of his size and right now only because of his size. The small quarterbacks that you've mentioned having success also have some weight on them so right now, I'm reserving first round considerations to see what he weighs in at and to see how he operates from under center. My concern would be durability and his availability for my team. That would be the only thing precluding me from it. If I'm a team in need of a quarterback that didn't take one with my first round pick though, I would consider trading back in to the first round like the Ravens did with Lamar Jackson but the football/baseball thing has no bearing on how I personally view him. 

Just so you don't think I was arguing for the sake of it, I just though your stance that he wasn't even a day 2 pick prior to explanation and the idea that he wasn't 100% committed to playing football were curious. And I do think that he has a first round, QUARTERBACK skillset, especially with how the league is trending towards favoring offenses. 

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

I've seen quiet a few mock drafts that have NE selecting a QB in the 1st round. I don't see that happening at all.

I mean, nothing would surprise me with the Pats...but i agree.  I see the Pats realizing that they've got this miraculous Brady-Bill window that's probably only going to be open for another year or two at most...and trying to make the most of that.  It's smart.  Which is what the Pats always seem to do, above all.  The Smart Thing.

Worry about "the future at QB" some other day when it comes up.  I think at the very least, the Pats grab a guy in this draft at QB just to play backup and see what happens.  JimmyG style at the back-end of the 2nd Round for instance.  This draft is loaded with guys that would make sense for that, and i'm kinda afraid of what they'll do with that if they get the right guy.  But this "1st round pick" Patriots QB thing seems counter to where they're at as a team right now.  And more specifically...where Brady is at as the QB of that team.

On 21/01/2019 at 10:06 PM, mse326 said:

Unless and until Murray commits to playing in the NFL 100% he isn't a first round pick (an maybe not then either). He's not even a day 2 pick.

I'm in this boat with Murray.  Until he makes it abundantly clear that he's a football player 100%, through thick and the thin...i'm not even ranking him as an NFL prospect.  He's had abundant opportunity to clarify that he's an NFL prospect and nothing else...but he hasn't.  He's playing the options, and that's not what i want in a top pick QB.  I want an all-in QB with no doubts, not a guy weighing his options to see what makes him more obscenely wealthy.

13 hours ago, SBLIII said:

I've seen quiet a few mock drafts that have NE selecting a QB in the 1st round. I don't see that happening at all.

Yeah that's one of the dumbest ones out there.  They'll keep riding Brady till the apocalypse.  If not farther.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:33 AM, Tugboat said:

I'm in this boat with Murray.  Until he makes it abundantly clear that he's a football player 100%, through thick and the thin...i'm not even ranking him as an NFL prospect.  He's had abundant opportunity to clarify that he's an NFL prospect and nothing else...but he hasn't.  He's playing the options, and that's not what i want in a top pick QB.  I want an all-in QB with no doubts, not a guy weighing his options to see what makes him more obscenely wealthy.

If he doesn't go in the first, what dumbass team would take him before the 7th round? The further he drops the less chance he plays football. You are wasting the pick on this guy if you take him after the 1st. He'll just go play baseball for way more $....unless he's stupid. (Probably wasting the pick if you take him in the 1st). he's no Baker Mayfield.

Archived