Mahomes is gonna be a $200M QB

bucsfan333

They really need to go to guaranteed deals and a max level contract. Like yea he’s worth it for the Chiefs going forward but this is just weighting the money ever more towards QB’s. I’d like to see more money spread out to the vets. Especially the RB’s with the short careers. 

3 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

They really need to go to guaranteed deals and a max level contract. Like yea he’s worth it for the Chiefs going forward but this is just weighting the money ever more towards QB’s. I’d like to see more money spread out to the vets. Especially the RB’s with the short careers. 

No, it literally is not that.

3 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

But it's not. The cap increases. Salaries increase. Still roughly the same percentage. They aren't getting a bigger share of the pie relative to the pie then they have been. The pie is just getting bigger. 

Everyone always mentions the quarterback salaries going up, but then seem to conveniently forget that we have guards making 13 & 14m per season. 11 years ago, Steve Hutchinson signed for 7 million. So guard contracts have doubled in a decade. So has everyone else's (except maybe running backs). There's just more money to go around, rosters haven't increased in size, so players are making more. All of them. Not just quarterbacks. 

41 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

My plan for Baker would be 5th year option franchise extent unless he settle for top 5 not top 1 qb money. 

That's just a bad plan if he's the quarterback  Browns fans are telling everyone he is. 

12 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

As a Raider fan, this makes me VERY happy. Good luck fielding a competitive team with that massive contract on the books. They'll need to slay the draft year in and out.

I mean...that's the way it's been for quite a while now, for everyone signing their QBs to that "megadeal" coming out of their rookie contract.  It's expensive to have a good QB.  It's the same as signing Derek Carr to that monster deal he signed a few years ago.  Biggest difference being...Mahomes actually looks like he might stand a chance of being "worth it" by putting together MVP caliber seasons, rather than just "good starting QB" play.

Killing the draft year after year is pretty much a prerequisite to sustaining any kind of success with a QB off their rookie deal.  For anyone, not just a guy like Mahomes.

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Goff will sign first for less :D Because we all know he's a bad system QB.

Not if he wins the SB and becomes the next Joe Flacco? He too will cash in "with a Ring". Either way every position in the NFL will increase year in and year out. Why people are freaking out about a potential 200M contract is beyond me.

He won't  be the only one in the coming years.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why people are freaking out about a potential 200M contract is beyond me.

Because the salary cap in the NFL has been increasing at insane levels for the past few years. After the uncapped 2010 year it dropped by $3M and then barely rose for 3 years, from 2009 to 2013 it didn't have a net increase. But 2019 will be the 6th straight year with an over $10M increase.

For casual fans or people who just haven't been paying attention the past 6 years it's not hard to miss all this and be stunned when you hear "$200M contract", but people shouldn't come on here acting like the chiefs will have to sign practice squad linemen to afford their QB.

Interestingly, the salary cap was $34.608M when first introduced in 1994, and the next elite level QB (Mahomes, possibly Goff if he wins the SB, Russell Wilson) will likely sign for more than that on yearly average.

30 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

So with 2 years left on his rookie contract plus the 5th year option plus potential franchise tags we decide to extend him now?! 

I love PMII but that's bad money management 

"Chiefs’ QB Patrick Mahomes expected to sign a record deal when eligible in 2020 that shapes up as the NFL’s first $200 million contract"

15 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

As a Raider fan, this makes me VERY happy. Good luck fielding a competitive team with that massive contract on the books. They'll need to slay the draft year in and out.

Carr's $25M in 2017 was 14.97% of the $167M cap that year.

In 2019 the cap is expected to rise another $10-$12M and there's no reason to assume it won't do so for the 7th year in a row after that for 2020 since the big TV deals don't end til 2022 (I think)

So we are talking about him signing a big deal in 2020 with around about $200 in NFL salary cap space.

The current top yearly salary in the NFL is Rodgers' $33.5M, which isn't necessarily the floor for big deals going forward considering he is GOAT level talent, so most QBs won't be able to ask for more than that in 2019 and therefore won't be able to push it up much higher.

A 5 year $200M contract is $40M average a year, which is more than any QB in the league could demand by 2020 barring 3 straight MVPs and SB wins, which they won't achieve, so I'm gonna assume this is a 6 year deal.

200/6 is 33.333, less than what Rodgers is making now, so not an unreasonable number at all. That would only be 16.66% of the cap, a very reasonable number.

But, If we assume Mahomes continues to produce at an elite level, it wouldn't be out of the reason for him to surpass Rodgers and pull off $35M a year, a 17.5% salary cap hit for the signing year.

Derek Carr vs Patrick Mahomes and 2.5% less salary cap? The Raiders will need to slay the draft year in and out to win the division again.

19 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Pay that man lol. He is the future of the NFL. The Chiefs dont have a window because Mahomes is the window. The Chiefs will go as far as Mahomes will take them. If Watson is the Jordan of the NFL then Mahomes is the LeBron of the NFL. So I have no problem with the Chiefs throwing all that cash at Mahomes. Now Im always going to stand by saying Mahomes only has one year of production but just strictly looking at the talent and projecting it forward, barring terrible injuries, Mahomes is the Chiefs plain and simple so pay the man. 

Watson is the Jordan of the NFL? What?

Archived