Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

56 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sidebar - just gotta acknowledge the greatness of BB - he schooled McVay out there yesterday.    I feel bad for Wade Phillips, because, man, you hold NE to 13 points, you should be winning.  But tip my cap to BB, he had the answer for McVay's O.

I'm sorry but no he did not school McVay. He called a very good game yesterday and quite frankly twice the LA Rams should have had a touchdown. The first one came on a play where for whatever reason it took what felt like an hour for goff to realize he had a wide-open Cooks in the endzone and should have thrown the ball as soon as Cook's made his cut into the endzone instead he waited until Cooks got to the back of the endzone in the defensive back was able to catch up. The second and I'm not making excuses here for the Rams because they had opportunities but the second came on what should have been past interference in the end zone against cooked where his arm was being held golf threw a perfect Pasta cooks and had it not been for the hold it would have been a touchdown. Bill Belichick's defense did a very good job in limiting the Rams but the Rams limited themselves they could have had 14 points and instead they put up 3 this was not and should not be an indictment on Sean McVay but more an indictment on the fact that goff is not a franchise quarterback.

1 hour ago, Malik said:

To be fair to Gurley, it's hard to get a running game going when it takes until your 9th possession to have a drive last longer than 5 plays.

Agree, one of the most dumb things in sports analysis is when people point to lack of touches a player gets without looking at it in the context of the game.

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

Agree, one of the most dumb things in sports analysis is when people point to lack of touches a player gets without looking at it in the context of the game.

I agree with both of you and frankly as I said in my statement above this is more of an indictment on Goff because he proved last night he is a quarterback that is not capable of winning a Superbowl. I truly am not trying to take anything away from the New England Patriots accomplishment last night whether it be players or coaches. But if you put a better quarterback let's say Pat Mahomes even though the Patriots beat the Chiefs or Drew Brees maybe Ben Roethlisberger maybe not someone of that caliber if you put that guy at the Helm of the Rams I do believe that the Rams win last night's game maybe not though because the defense played well. My only Point here is as good as the New England Patriots defense played against the Rams offense Goff played equally is good against the Rams offense.

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Am I the only one who when they showed Brian Flores on the screen was like

”Wait, Brian Flores is black?!”

LOL you might be honestly when they showed him on the screen last night that's the first time I've ever seen it had no idea who it was frankly I had never even heard of the guy before

3 hours ago, showtime said:

The Patriots knew exactly what the Rams were going to do on pretty much every play.  They knew every formation, offensive set, etc.  The secondary knew exactly what routes the receivers were going to run, the running plays, etc.  This game was a combination of a bunch of things.  McVay made no adjustments the entire game, which seems unfathomable.  The Rams offensive line, a unit that has been great all season, looked really bad.  They looked so unprepared for the game last night.  However, there were times when they did block for Goff a reasonable amount of time and he just had nowhere to throw the ball.  Maybe Goff was playing scared (to make a huge mistake) or there was nobody open.

This wasn't a game where the Rams just got blown out early on and dug themselves too deep of a hole or a game where it was back and forth and they came up on the short end of the stick.  This was the worst offensive performance ever. 

I hate this take so much. 

Rams D stepped up a lot in the last strech of the season, you have to give a ton of credit to Wade. They played a fantastic game last night!

On the other side, where was this Pats D in the regular season???? To say they stepped up is an understatement. They played brilliantly through the playoffs.

Rams couldn't get any rhythm on offense. It's tough when the D is always fresh.

They really lacked some aggressiveness, and while you could see they were trying to establish some PA, they never sold out on pass, and kept putting themselves in bad positions, considering down and distance.

I know hindsight is a luxury in such a close score game, because throughout you feel your game plan shouldn't go out of the window, and you're really not going into the desperation mode you should, after such a bad offensive display that keeps pilling on.

Rams D masked just how unbalanced that game really was, and I think that must have really confused McVay and staff. My 2 cents.

9 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with both of you and frankly as I said in my statement above this is more of an indictment on Goff because he proved last night he is a quarterback that is not capable of winning a Superbowl. I truly am not trying to take anything away from the New England Patriots accomplishment last night whether it be players or coaches. But if you put a better quarterback let's say Pat Mahomes even though the Patriots beat the Chiefs or Drew Brees maybe Ben Roethlisberger maybe not someone of that caliber if you put that guy at the Helm of the Rams I do believe that the Rams win last night's game maybe not though because the defense played well. My only Point here is as good as the New England Patriots defense played against the Rams offense Goff played equally is good against the Rams offense.

I just think way too often we are all too quick to point to a team doing badly rather than just recognizing that the other team performed brilliantly. Both defenses played fantastic. The Patriots defense stuffed the Rams run game, got a lot of pressure on Goff, and covered the Rams' receivers like wet blankets. The Rams defense bottled up the Patriots run game early on, played physical with the Patriots receivers like they should have, and were outstanding on key late downs. Both defenses mixed up man and zone coverages beautifully, and used a lot of disguises and post-snap changes to confuse the QBs. Credit simply goes to the defenses, it's as simple as that in my eyes. And playing the hypothetical game is pointless. There is no way to know how other QBs would have performed in that situation, so theorizing it accomplishes nothing. It's an empty argument.

The difference in the game was literally just a couple plays here and there. It was Gronk catching that great seam throw from Brady, and then Cooks dropping that great sideline throw from Goff. That's basically the difference right there.

1 minute ago, childofpudding said:

I just think way too often we are all too quick to point to a team doing badly rather than just recognizing that the other team performed brilliantly. Both defenses played fantastic. The Patriots defense stuffed the Rams run game, got a lot of pressure on Goff, and covered the Rams' receivers like wet blankets. The Rams defense bottled up the Patriots run game early on, played physical with the Patriots receivers like they should have, and were outstanding on key late downs. Both defenses mixed up man and zone coverages beautifully, and used a lot of disguises and post-snap changes to confuse the QBs. Credit simply goes to the defenses, it's as simple as that in my eyes. And playing the hypothetical game is pointless. There is no way to know how other QBs would have performed in that situation, so theorizing it accomplishes nothing. It's an empty argument.

The difference in the game was literally just a couple plays here and there. It was Gronk catching that great seam throw from Brady, and then Cooks dropping that great sideline throw from Goff. That's basically the difference right there.

While I agree with what you are saying because the fact of the matter is the people playing in last night's game where the people playing in last night's game all I am saying is the Rams showed last night and they don't have a quarterback. The New England Patriots and the Rams defense is both played brilliant I agree with that

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

While I agree with what you are saying because the fact of the matter is the people playing in last night's game where the people playing in last night's game all I am saying is the Rams showed last night and they don't have a quarterback. The New England Patriots and the Rams defense is both played brilliant I agree with that

OK, I see your point. I do think Goff came up short at times, but as I said earlier in the thread, the whole offense came up short, and I just think that was more because of the defense than the offense, plus a little bit of the moment just getting to them. Goff's performance in the 2nd half of the NFCCG in the Superdome showed me that he has the chops to carry a team. He just didn't happen to do it last night.

Goff had a bad game, sure, but the day before he won the award for the best performance of the season in the entire NFL. He’s young, the occasion got to him, but he isn’t finished. 

If anything this will help the Rams long term as he’s less likely to demand mega money. When you consider what Stafford and Cousins are on, and neither are on the same level as Goff. 

Big year coming up from him, Gurley too. I think we need a rebuild but McVay is a great head coach and we have a great front office. The rest falls into place. 

21 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Overreact much? Goff is plenty good. You forget already how well he played against the Saints in a much more hostile environment? Twice? He's still young. I just think he had a deer in headlights moment. Super Bowl is a different animal.

Archived