Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

3 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

OK, I see your point. I do think Goff came up short at times, but as I said earlier in the thread, the whole offense came up short, and I just think that was more because of the defense than the offense, plus a little bit of the moment just getting to them. Goff's performance in the 2nd half of the NFCCG in the Superdome showed me that he has the chops to carry a team. He just didn't happen to do it last night.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what you are saying about the NFC championship game but at the same time I just feel like Goff is more what he showed last night then what he showed in the NFC championship.

Never really understood why Goff gets so much bad rep, every time he doesn't look amazing..... people seem to forget there's a middle ground when evaluating his lowlights.

He's an amazing young QB that will only get better with age. A lot of the top tier QBs today also needed a lot of hand-holding from their coaches at the start of their careers.

1 minute ago, SWATcha said:

Overreact much? Goff is plenty good. You forget already how well he played against the Saints in a much more hostile environment? Twice? He's still young. I just think he had a deer in headlights moment. Super Bowl is a different animal.

No I don't think it's an overreaction first of all I don't view the New Orleans Saints defense anywhere as good as what Bill Belichick's defense did last night. Maybe Saints will. Maybe Saints fans will disagree with me but this is a team that gave up 40 + points multiple times this season. I do not view that defense is anywhere close to being as well coached as what Bill Belichick did last night or even as talented. So I'm sorry but it's not that I have forgotten what they did against the Saints it's that I'm not surprised they were able to do what they did against the Saints. Jared Goff has been a very wishy-washy quarterback throughout his young career. For a few games you will look brilliant and then for a few games he will look like a moron and last night he was missing wide receivers by 15 yards he missed a wide-open Brandin Cooks because instead of throwing the ball when cook made his cut into the endzone he waited and waited and waited until it was too late. He was extremely rattled extremely uncomfortable in the pocket and frankly to me look like a third-string rookie playing his first ever game last night. That's not to say he didn't make any good place because he did but he was not making good decisions last night and that interception he threw at the end of the game to seal their fate was absolutely stupid. I remember not that long ago people used to chastise Ben Roethlisberger for holding on to the ball too long and he is a Hall of Fame quarterback. Last night Jared Goff was holding on to the ball for what seems like forever in situations where he could have been throwing the ball 7 rows out of bounds. He was taking sacks in situations you couldn't afford to take sacks. I am not saying that Jared Goff is a terrible quarterback. However I am saying that I do not believe he is a quarterback it is going to win this team a championship.

9 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

- Donald did not play up to expectation

Not sure why this is surprising IMO. Donald is phenomenal, but our Oline had been dominant most of the season and for all of the offseason containing other big names like Ingram, Bosa, Ford, etc. We made the rest of that line have to beat us and they couldnt. It also seemed obvious the Patriots would utilize the running game given the Rams deficiency in that area during the season and the Patriots success with it throughout the post. With the run game going, it was hard for Donald to pin his ears back to get to Brady. I know players of his caliber should be able to overcome such things, but everything was stacked against Aaron having a day. You had a confident oline, a great o line coach (IMO the goat), a blocking scheme focused on containing him, a solid run game, and a goat QB known for quick passes with Edelman getting open with ease. Thats too many cards in the other hand. 

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

Great way to offset the McVay-Goff communication, and potentially confuse the young QB

Always thought defenses should have done that, with the common knowledge that McVay is in his ear telling him what to see up until the cut-off. Show him something then switch. I'm sure EVERY defense has done that though, I doubt BB was the first to employ this against LA.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with both of you and frankly as I said in my statement above this is more of an indictment on Goff because he proved last night he is a quarterback that is not capable of winning a Superbowl. I truly am not trying to take anything away from the New England Patriots accomplishment last night whether it be players or coaches. But if you put a better quarterback let's say Pat Mahomes even though the Patriots beat the Chiefs or Drew Brees maybe Ben Roethlisberger maybe not someone of that caliber if you put that guy at the Helm of the Rams I do believe that the Rams win last night's game maybe not though because the defense played well. My only Point here is as good as the New England Patriots defense played against the Rams offense Goff played equally is good against the Rams offense.

You don't think it has anything to do with the looks he was seeing?

54 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

A few things:

- Goff crapped the bed, the moment was too big for him

- Donald did not play up to expectation

- Patriots were more physical

- That's it..

Donald was a stud again. Our defense gave up 3 points to Tom Brady until halfway through the 4th quarter. Donald was blowing up their run plays until that final drive and pressured Brady at least a handful of times. He was also eating double teams to allow our other DLs work. I'm not sure how anybody came away thinking Donald didn't have a strong game . . . unless your expectation was for him to sack Brady repeatedly and completely dominate that OL. In that case, I think that was more your expectations being out of whack than anything.

1 hour ago, childofpudding said:

Great way to offset the McVay-Goff communication, and potentially confuse the young QB

I'm not surprised to see that. Goff seemed perpetually fooled. And it didn't help that y'all's coverage was great.

2 hours ago, kramxel said:

Never really understood why Goff gets so much bad rep, every time he doesn't look amazing..... people seem to forget there's a middle ground when evaluating his lowlights.

He's an amazing young QB that will only get better with age. A lot of the top tier QBs today also needed a lot of hand-holding from their coaches at the start of their careers.

Because a lot of people made their mind up about the kid when he was a rookie and desperately want that opinion validated.

Archived