Super Bowl LIII: Rams vs. Patriots - Poll Added!

DigInBoys

Super Bowl LIII  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Super Bowl?

• Rams
    • Patriots

3 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

It wasn't a blowout because the Rams defense made timely plays and Pats missed opportunities themselves but in regards to the offensive numbers, I would consider it pretty bad and I think it'd be discrediting Belichick to claim it was just Goff being a bad quarterback 

Yep. Anytime a team that scored 33ppg in the season then scores a lone 53-yard FG, that's a schooling. McVay himself admitted he was outcoached.

On the other side of the ball, I think it's fair to say that McVay/Wade got the better of Belichick/McDaniels/Brady overall. The latter got theirs on the last two drives and that's about it. A lot of it was the phenomenal ST play from the Rams that often pinned NE deep, and a lot of it was the bend but don't break defense that also stopped the Patriots on key late downs. Credit to the defense for that. Brady definitely got schooled on that INT. Wade fooled him good.

But it's not like the Patriots couldn't move the ball. They had more than 400 yards of offense, but just couldn't finish drives. They had a missed FG, then a missed 4th down play where I thought they should have kicked another FG. Plus the INT. Plus the Patriots were just playing the field position game because the defense was playing so well and they were forcing the Rams and Goff into long drives on purpose. They punted a few times in Rams' territory, if I remember correctly, precisely because of that.

15 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Seems to be a correlation between throwing Goff under the bus, and limiting McVay's failure... 

That game came to be decided much more on scheming, than execution. You can't give McVay a pass after such a big meltdown. 

I thought McVay was terrible, but Goff was also horrendous.  There was a point in the game where Cooks was WIDE OPEN on a blown coverage in the end zone.  Goff waited such an insanely long time to throw the football that the defender was able to close the game and prevent Cooks from catching the touchdown.

The truth of the matter is, the Patriots defense wasn't that great all season.  It's not bad, but it's not great.  To struggle vs a defense like this the entire game tells me a lot about Jared Goff.

As I was thinking about this, suddenly a goat came toward the two-horned ram I had seen standing beside the canal and charged at it in great rage. I saw it attack the ram furiously, striking the ram and shattering its two horns. The ram was powerless to stand against it; the goat knocked it to the ground and trampled on it, and none could rescue the ram from its power. The goat became very great...

DANIEL 8:5-8

Guys...it was foretold.O.o

31 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

giphy.gif

You don't understand? When Goff sucked under Fisher, people made their mind up about him. It's why every time he has a bad game, they come back to making silly excuses for why he has been successful. It's why even when he's playing well, somebody else is always responsible for his success. People don't like being wrong, so they look for any reason to cling onto to justify why they weren't actually wrong.

Here are Peyton Manning's first two playoff starts against Belichick and NE:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200401180nwe.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501160nwe.htm

Here's Philip Rivers' first playoff start against Belichick and NE:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200801200nwe.htm

Here's Ben's first Super Bowl:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200602050pit.htm

Goff is a bum because he struggled against a Bill Belichick-coached defense in the Super Bowl? C'mon. Goff is one of the youngest QBs to ever start a Super Bowl. Ben was a few months younger in his first Super Bowl, and he played arguably worse than Goff did. Yet, people are going to treat Goff like he's a bum? Get out of here. Just shows how foolish people are.

16 minutes ago, showtime said:

How do we feel about a documented cheater like Julian Edelman winning the MVP?  Does it make the sport look bad at all?

EDIT:  He wasn't eligible for any regular season awards or the pro bowl.

He should have been banned from the league.

29 minutes ago, showtime said:

I thought McVay was terrible, but Goff was also horrendous.  There was a point in the game where Cooks was WIDE OPEN on a blown coverage in the end zone.  Goff waited such an insanely long time to throw the football that the defender was able to close the game and prevent Cooks from catching the touchdown.

The truth of the matter is, the Patriots defense wasn't that great all season.  It's not bad, but it's not great.  To struggle vs a defense like this the entire game tells me a lot about Jared Goff.

He missed on that throw to Cooks and also a deep in when there was a guy open over the middle and he threw it to the sideline deep.

No one is saying he had a good game, just that the criticism has been disproportional to his performance this season. (If you go back on this thread, there were some calling for him to be traded, and that the Rams shouldn't trust him going forward).

The only reason I bought up Edelman is because he was barred from winning regular season awards and making the pro bowl.  I heard someone bring up today on the radio, why should he be allowed to win a super bowl MVP in the same year he was suspended for cheating and was barred from winning every other award.

I don't have anything against Edelman, I was just making conversation and wanting to get more input on it since I've never heard that argument outside of today.

36 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You don't understand? When Goff sucked under Fisher, people made their mind up about him. It's why every time he has a bad game, they come back to making silly excuses for why he has been successful. It's why even when he's playing well, somebody else is always responsible for his success. People don't like being wrong, so they look for any reason to cling onto to justify why they weren't actually wrong.

Here are Peyton Manning's first two playoff starts against Belichick and NE:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200401180nwe.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501160nwe.htm

Here's Philip Rivers' first playoff start against Belichick and NE:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200801200nwe.htm

Here's Ben's first Super Bowl:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200602050pit.htm

Goff is a bum because he struggled against a Bill Belichick-coached defense in the Super Bowl? C'mon. Goff is one of the youngest QBs to ever start a Super Bowl. Ben was a few months younger in his first Super Bowl, and he played arguably worse than Goff did. Yet, people are going to treat Goff like he's a bum? Get out of here. Just shows how foolish people are.

I was more poking fun at you for making fun of people having their opinions, and sticking to it, when you over and over again comped Goff to Peyton Manning before the draft.

Do I really need to say that I'm not being serious in any of this thread? (Except for when I said I was drinking rammy's sweet delicious tears, that was real.)

56 minutes ago, showtime said:

Goff threw it as soon as he saw it. The ball hit Cooks right in his hands. McCourty hit his arm, and Cooks didn't come up with it. You assume that a QB should know that the coverage is going to be blown. I don't have coach's film yet, but rewatching the play, the Patriots looked to be in a C-3 zone-under coverage. The deep-middle safety (Harmon?) bit on Reynolds (I believe) running the deep over route. As soon as he bit and Cooks threw his hand up, Goff came off his checkdown and threw the ball. You're assuming that Goff should have entered the play knowing that was going to happen, but that's just not how a blown coverage works. 

50 minutes ago, showtime said:

How do we feel about a documented cheater like Julian Edelman winning the MVP?  Does it make the sport look bad at all?

EDIT:  He wasn't eligible for any regular season awards or the pro bowl.

I think it's great. Absolutely cooked defenders in man-coverage. Deserves it, AND, he's the LEAST most likely to be on gear out of anyone on that field now. 

Archived