Is God Mode Brady the most terrifying figure in sports?

Kay z

I wouldn't really say "terrifying". Someone already mentioned this, but Mike Tyson in his prime was terrifying. Brady is like Floyd Mayweather in that both defy everything we know about aging and its affect on athletes, and both are supremely unlikable but just keep winning.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

As a terrifying figure? Disagree. Pretty Boy could bring some heat but I don’t think he was ever a guy that instilled much fear. He’s as dominant as the rest of those athletes (if not more so) but less scary IMO. 

I’d actually switch my Sugar Ray pick to Tyson, again, in terms of “terrifying”. 

Ok, very fair - more of a fear factor thing over a win kinda thing.

Would Anderson Silva fall into this? During that early to mid 00s when he kneed Rich Franklin into another dimension, then went all The Matrix on Forrest Griffin? 

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

He is up there.

But if you want to be a bit more specific, it's Rafael Nadal on clay. Absolutely ridiculous how good he is there.

This is a great answer.  Unbelievable how dominant he is on that surface.  I doubt more than 2% of people on this forum care about tennis though.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

To be fair, I've always hated this logic. 

What's more impressive, someone who's 3-4 in the Finals, or someone who's 3-0 in the Finals? 

it's the one who's 3-4. Why? Because the guy who's 3-0 just lost even earlier than the finals 4 other times. If Brady wins a 6th ring, he trumps Jordan IMO.

But is this the case with Jordan? He's 6-0 with a two year (well, 1.5 year) hiatus in between those 3-0 runs. 

I don't necessarily disagree with your take (and I personally think that he'd go 1-1 in those two years, Hakeem was at the height of his power in those two years) but something to ponder.

How can a football player be the most terrifying thing in sports when they don't even play half of the game?  The answer, for a team sport, would be a basketball player since the game is played 5v5 and they have HEAVY impact on both offense and defense.  Obviously Jordan was the best basketball player ever, but guys like Kobe, LeBron and Shaq at their height are easily more terrifying than Brady.

How about Babe Ruth?

Averaged one home run per 11.76 at-bats over a 22 year career. Only Mark McGuire had a better career percentage. 

Not to mention Ruth’s career .6897 CAREER slugging percentage. Tops all-time, and is .0559 better than #2 Ted Williams. 

I’d say Ruth was pretty terrifying to pitchers. 

He was also a pretty fair pitcher, for those of you who do not know. He terrified his share of hitters, too. Imagine Tom Brady winning three Super Bowls as a QB and then becoming an all-pro/HOF linebacker and winning four more Super Bowls. That’s kind of what Ruth did. 

Leo Messi at his best is easily one of the most terrifying figures in sports. Scoring 91 goals in 69 matches in a calendar year, 4 straight Ballon d'Or awards (World Player of the Year award), and averaging .92 goals per game in a sport that has a way larger talent pool than any in the world is insane. 

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/5-lionel-messi-records-that-are-impossible-to-break-ss

51 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Ok, very fair - more of a fear factor thing over a win kinda thing.

Would Anderson Silva fall into this? During that early to mid 00s when he kneed Rich Franklin into another dimension, then went all The Matrix on Forrest Griffin? 

Silva probably more so than any UFC fighter, IMO. 

giphy.gif

tumblr_m5a73pZZJZ1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Granted, it’s this cockiness that lost Silva his title. But when it was working? Damn...that’s a HOFer he embarrassed.

I think an on fire LeBron would be more terrifying. And Game 7 LeBron.

Obviously Jordan too.

Steph Curry when he's on fire.

Basketball lends itself to more terrifying figures because the three above could score with four of us on their team when they're in the zone. Brady could not.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Silva probably more so than any UFC fighter, IMO. 

Begrudgingly, I'd also put Ronda Rousey in there. She had a 3-4 year period where she was the deadliest woman in the world...

Then the hype (and Holly Holm's shin) got to her head.

Archived