NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread #WinItAll4theHAUL

Phire

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

How do you know this? I counted like 38 guaranteed spots or so. That leaves quite a bit up for grabs. And, even if some of the later round picks don't make the 53 man roster that doesn't mean we won't put them on IR or the practice squad to stash them. We need as much young talent as we can get with our cap situation and the Wentz contract looming. Howie realizes this.

I have TE, P, safety and slot CB as the only positions that should be addressed. If we resign Sproles that could push Smallwood/poppa pump off the roster. (I personally hope we draft Scarborough or some other big back). 

Yeah the 5th WR could be upgraded or some other backup spot if we deem the potential high enough over a veteran. Drafting a guy to stash on the PS doesn’t mean they’ll actually stay on the roster. See Studfeld 

Sooooo I completely disagree with most of what you've said the last couple pages @ninjapirate. At 32 (or wherever our first pick lands) I'm looking for the most talented player, regardless of the minimal contributions they might make in 2018. If I factor position into it I'm looking at positions that are either older or more expensive like DE or S. I'm not looking to fill spots like back-up TE or third S just because that may be the most glaring need for 2018.

8 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I have TE, P, safety and slot CB as the only positions that should be addressed.

Then, you aren't looking closely enough.

We also need to look strongly at adding OL, LB, RB, and WR, and even DE as well.

Need to consider where we need depth and turnover that is gonna happen just like this year.

Your mentality for the draft needs a bit of an adjustment as you're focusing way too much on the short term outlook.

I mean if our front office thought like that we wouldn't have drafted Derek Barnett (lots of depth already at DE) or Sidney Jones (injured and wouldn't contribute).

2 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Then, you aren't looking closely enough.

We also need to look strongly at adding OL, LB, RB, and WR, and even DE as well.

Need to consider where we need depth and turnover that is gonna happen just like this year.

Your mentality for the draft needs a bit of an adjustment as you're focusing way too much on the short term outlook.

I mean if our front office thought like that we wouldn't have drafted Derek Barnett (lots of depth already at DE) or Sidney Jones (injured and wouldn't contribute).

And I would say not a lot of players get 2nd LT contracts. We just signed a LB...You want to use a mid round pick on a 5th WR? 

If we weren’t SB champs I can see where you are coming from. Maybe that is the issue. Trying to flip over the roster will definitely be a step back. You are thinking depth and I’m suggesting we experienced an irregular amount of injuries this past year. We should be fine as long as we don’t lose Wentz for a good portion of the season

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I disagree with drafting for need at all in the draft. Take the best players. Fill the rest of the "holes" with after draft FA. There is no hole that absolutely needs a draft pick.

I used to think that when the draft was before FA. A SB team with minimal holes TE, P, depth should look at BPA at them gaps. If LVE is there at 32 how can you justify drafting him? The discrepancy between grades aren’t that much different

2 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I used to think that when the draft was before FA. A SB team with minimal holes TE, P, depth should look at BPA at them gaps. If LVE is there at 32 how can you justify drafting him? The discrepancy between grades aren’t that much different

You can easily justify drafting LVE. Hicks is always hurt and a FA in 2019. 

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

What do you guys think about Rasheem Green as a DE?

Hmm It’s tough 

because I think he plays with too high of a pad level and gets held on the line too much as a DT. Doesn’t have that pure strength (from what I watched) that you want there.

and he doesn’t have to quickness and bend really that you want at DE. 

He’s good with his hands, but needs to work on foot speed.

i think he’s a good player but you kinda have to have a vision for him and have him channel himself into being more one thing than the other. He’s got to get quicker feet regardless. I like versatile Dlineman though. Helps you get creative. 

I’d probably rather him get stronger and work on his pad level and be a DT for us from the stuff I watched. Didn’t look like he had the lateral speed to keep contain as well as you’d want. But you could throw him at DE in some heavy packages. I think some teams like the Patriots would look at him as a DE in theirs system or the Seahawks.

(note: I didnt do a huge deep dive on him, just first impression after 12 mins)

3 hours ago, nlesthought said:

And I would say not a lot of players get 2nd LT contracts. We just signed a LB...You want to use a mid round pick on a 5th WR? 

If we weren’t SB champs I can see where you are coming from. Maybe that is the issue. Trying to flip over the roster will definitely be a step back. You are thinking depth and I’m suggesting we experienced an irregular amount of injuries this past year. We should be fine as long as we don’t lose Wentz for a good portion of the season

Usually you make sense, but this is not one of those times.

1 hour ago, Phire said:

The whole notion that you draft BPA at all times and under all circumstances has been fan-fiction for years. Every team drafts for need every year.

Not under all circumstances for sure but this year Eagles have the luxury to with not many immediate needs 

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Not really a 2018 need but every position can be an eventual need if you want to expand the definition that far

Hicks is a depth liability. Finding his replacement is an immediate need IMO.

Archived