Who are the greatest never was' of the NFL?

Kiwibrown

3 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Darrell Russell - had all the tools to be a stud, had a two year span where he had 19.5 sacks at 6'5 325

Tremendous player for a short spell and could have been one of the all time greats, such a tragic downfall and story. What a waste of a talent and life.

Joe Delaney

Chiefs RB, Won rookie of the year in 1981. Got us to a winning record, first time since 1973. 

In 1983 some children were drowning in a local park near his hometown. Delaney happened to be passing by and even though he didnt know how to swim went in to save them anywayz. One child survived, he got another to shore(whom died later), and he was found dead with the third child in the water hole.

Well I mean, it's quite obviously Bo Jackson and Sterling Sharpe.

But Priest Holmes finishes off his 4th all-pro season and has another after those 5 ridiculous seasons would've gotten him HoF and legend status.

In 1975, Denver drafted DE Charles Smith out of NC Central in the second round. Allegedly, he was beastly in camp, but he tore one of his knees, and missed the season. The next year, he tore his other knee, which was game over.

In Feb. 1977, Cal QB Joe Roth died of cancer. If he would have been healthy, he would have been a top-2 pick that year, and may have gone on to be one of the best QB's ever.

Not sure what this even means. Guys who were colossal busts who had some measurables, or guys who actually showed flashes or had a good year or two, seemed like they would be a star for a long time, and then disappeared?

For the latter, has anyone mentioned Marcellus Wiley yet? Strangest falloff I've ever seen. 

A few others:

Napoleon Kaufman - one of my favorite players, hung up the cleats to be a pastor

Raghib Ismail - whar if he went straight to the NFL instead of Canada

LeCharles Bentley - Personal fav of mine, staph infection killed his career IIRC

Cecil "The Diesel" Collins -

Robert Edwards - Beach volleyball killed his career

Alonzo Spellman - Mental illness killed what could have been a productive career

Demetrius Underwood - See Spellman

5 hours ago, x0x said:

Well I mean, it's quite obviously Bo Jackson and Sterling Sharpe.

But Priest Holmes finishes off his 4th all-pro season and has another after those 5 ridiculous seasons would've gotten him HoF and legend status.

Preist and Sharpe should both be in the hof imo, they both dominated, for preist it was 3.5 years, but he was unreal.

Archived