2019 NFL Draft V3

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Rosen got sacked 45 times and had no talent around him. His feature back was a depleted David Johnson and his top two receivers were a depleted Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk. 

David Johnson is still a stud. Fitzgerald is still a sure handed possession receiver and I think Christian Kirk has the potential to be a very good player in the future. 

Blame the talent and coaching all you want, Rosen was still just terrible. By contrast, Derek Carr had Andre Holmes and James Jones as his two top targets his rookie year and he looked much much better than Rosen. 

The only recent QB I've seen look as bad as Rosen and go on to be successful is Jared Goff.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Deepest QB classes? They were ALL question marks especially Allen and Rosen. This class was nothing compared to ‘04 and other elite classes.

First off there was 4 QBs taking in the top 10, in 04 there was 2. So yeah one of the deepest QB Classes 

There are 10 WRs in the 220-230 range.  Last year there were only 5 Wrs in that weight range.  Ten years ago there were only 2.  Plenty of #1s for Frankie to pick from. 

Aside from the top WRs I want to see what DaMarkus Lodge will do.  If he can work on the drops he looks like he has as much talent as anyone else in this draft.  If we got him in the 4-5th round he could be a steal.  Depending on his combine and pro-day I would be willing to use a mid third on him.  He has great speed and acceleration so I expect him to have a really good combine and there is a lot more to him than what was shown at Ole Miss.

I know it will not happen for injury reasons but I would rather see squat numbers for linemen, linebackers, and RBs over bench for 2 reasons.  I want to see how much power they have in their lower body and the bench is not an athletic movement.  It takes strength but not functional strength.  The squat shows more functional strength, incorporates more of the body, and can expose other problems such as flexibility limitations that can lead to injury.  If anything replace the bench with one of the sports science machines that can measure the power in their punch and drive from their feet.  True athletic power starts in the feet and you can measure how well a player generates speed to power thru the upper body.

24 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I know it will not happen for injury reasons but I would rather see squat numbers for linemen, linebackers, and RBs over bench for 2 reasons.  I want to see how much power they have in their lower body and the bench is not an athletic movement.  It takes strength but not functional strength.  The squat shows more functional strength, incorporates more of the body, and can expose other problems such as flexibility limitations that can lead to injury.  If anything replace the bench with one of the sports science machines that can measure the power in their punch and drive from their feet.  True athletic power starts in the feet and you can measure how well a player generates speed to power thru the upper body.

Honestly I never even thought of this but I love the idea. I even think there would be a huge benefit to just having participants rep out to the same 225 bench weight to limit injury risk. That lower weight would still reveal quite a lot in terms of ankle/hip mobility.

14 minutes ago, StocktonSav said:

Honestly I never even thought of this but I love the idea. I even think there would be a huge benefit to just having participants rep out to the same 225 bench weight to limit injury risk. That lower weight would still reveal quite a lot in terms of ankle/hip mobility.

The only reason why I thought of it was my own situation.  For the past few months I have focused on ankle/hip mobility instead of just pushing weight.  Have not injured myself since and even upper body flexibility and strength has improved.

I would also like to see measurements for standing reach for DBs and receivers.  I would rather know the height of the shoulders + arm length than height and arm length.

I think the Raiders are in a spot where Williams or Allen will fall to them at 4 due to a team trading up for a QB. Whether it be at number 1 or 3 a QB is being taken there. Kyler Murray showing up a 5 foot 10 and over 200 pounds is huge for the Raiders. Every Raider fan should be rooting for Murray to have a great draft season so a team trades up for him. 

I dont think Hockensen will be around at pick 24 so Fant is imo a more realistic option. Fant showed up at 250 pounds at the combine which is really good for him. Makes him more of a TE. 

Metcalf is a tank. Wonder how that affects his quickness and movement. That much muscle on a WR cant be good. He better run at least a 4.5 or it all doesn't matter.

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

David Johnson is still a stud. Fitzgerald is still a sure handed possession receiver and I think Christian Kirk has the potential to be a very good player in the future. 

Blame the talent and coaching all you want, Rosen was still just terrible. By contrast, Derek Carr had Andre Holmes and James Jones as his two top targets his rookie year and he looked much much better than Rosen. 

The only recent QB I've seen look as bad as Rosen and go on to be successful is Jared Goff.

David Johnson is still a stud but averaged 58 ypg on 3.6 ypc last season? Okay. Fitzgerald is old now, he's still decent but nothing special. Kirk is okay. 

Regardless of how you feel about Rosen now, he was a better draft prospect than Haskins or Murray.

27 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I think the Raiders are in a spot where Williams or Allen will fall to them at 4 due to a team trading up for a QB. Whether it be at number 1 or 3 a QB is being taken there. Kyler Murray showing up a 5 foot 10 and over 200 pounds is huge for the Raiders. Every Raider fan should be rooting for Murray to have a great draft season so a team trades up for him. 

I dont think Hockensen will be around at pick 24 so Fant is imo a more realistic option. Fant showed up at 250 pounds at the combine which is really good for him. Makes him more of a TE. 

Metcalf is a tank. Wonder how that affects his quickness and movement. That much muscle on a WR cant be good. He better run at least a 4.5 or it all doesn't matter.

Agreed. Murray doing well is fantastic for us. I think he will go #1 to the Cards now but if not, I think the Jags trade to #3 and get Murray or Haskins. At first I thought getting Williams or Allen would be impossible, but now I think we have a solid 60-70% chance to land one. Obviously, I much prefer Williams. My favorite player in this draft tied with Bosa. We may not desperately need a DT but Williams is basically unblock able and is a generational talent imo.

37 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

David Johnson is still a stud but averaged 58 ypg on 3.6 ypc last season? Okay. Fitzgerald is old now, he's still decent but nothing special. Kirk is okay. 

Regardless of how you feel about Rosen now, he was a better draft prospect than Haskins or Murray.

The same porous, no weapons excuse you use for Rosen should be applied for David Johnson's subpar season as well .

Josh Rosen was a solid first round prospect. Nothing about his game was spectacular. He was built up as this cant miss, sure fire first overall QB since high school and he didnt live up to the hype. Never led that team to ish.

Excluding his obvious physical advantages, I would argue Murray has more arm talent than Rosen. I really dont see what makes Rosen such a better prospect except that he's 6'4 and a better interview.

Hakeem Butler has some mind numbing drops if you go slightly beyond the highlight videos, interesting prospect though with that upside. Seems like a good guy for a locker room in interviews which is a plus, just comes off as raw like a basketball player that converted over with insane athleticism like Erik Swoope kinda deal.

39 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. Murray doing well is fantastic for us. I think he will go #1 to the Cards now but if not, I think the Jags trade to #3 and get Murray or Haskins. At first I thought getting Williams or Allen would be impossible, but now I think we have a solid 60-70% chance to land one. Obviously, I much prefer Williams. My favorite player in this draft tied with Bosa. We may not desperately need a DT but Williams is basically unblock able and is a generational talent imo.

Also agreed. I hope Murray goes before we pick.  Agree on Williams. 

Listening to a live Gruden interview:

Gruden completely dodged a question when asked “Can we put to rest the Murray at 4 rumors”?

His answer was something along the lines of “Man I say one thing at the senior bowl and everyone blows it up”. Never said we can put the rumor to rest, never committed to Carr. Then he was asked “Would you take Murray at 4?” All he said was “Well quite frankly I’d be shocked if he was there” and then kind ofchanged the subject. 

A quote for the pro Carr guys though, (gotta please both groups lol) Gannon said it takes two years to have a full grasp of Grudens complex system. The Raiders went 8-8 the first year under Gannon and 12-4 the next. 

Archived