Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I’d say with Anderson its a TBD. I'm not sure how we can call him good or bad at the point in his career.

If a guy doesn't get snaps bc he's playing behind Kerrigan, how are we supposed to truly evaluate what kind of player he is going to be in the NFL other than what he was in college?

Trent Murphy is a stud run defender. I was right about him. 

Everything I ever said in my analysis of Trent Murphy was spot on. 

Oh here we go.

12 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That would require you to actually watch him when he's on the field.

He can't get on the field, because he's failed to show he's a difference maker. And don't give me that "He's behind a probowler" nonsense either. If a guy is a gamechanger, a team will find a way to get him on the field, even a coach as dumb as Manubsky.

One thing Casserly just said about Arizona that is interesting. They now have Suggs and Chandler Jones, doesn't seem like a team that is going to take a pass rusher at top of draft. As far as free agents go how about Houston as an edge rusher? Anderson can play on run downs, Houston on pass downs, keeps them healthy and fresh. I want all offense in draft 

9 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

He can't get on the field, because he's failed to show he's a difference maker. And don't give me that "He's behind a probowler" nonsense either. If a guy is a gamechanger, a team will find a way to get him on the field, even a coach as dumb as Manubsky.

Nothing I’ve said about Anderson is false. 

Go look at Kerrigan’s snap counts and tell me where his back up is supposed to get a lot of playing time.

What I’m saying is exactly what’s happening. 

I understand it's fun to hate the Redskins in this forum and be part of that cult, but the truth is that none of Kerrigan’s back ups have ever gotten  much playing time.

Lorenzo Alexander played behind Kerrigan for a few years and most thought he couldn't be a starting OLB in the league bc he hadn't ”shown anything.”  Then, he goes to Buffalo and proves he's a good to great player.

So yeah, sometimes it is just about opportunity.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Preston Smith came in as the third edge rusher in 2015, behind Kerrigan and Murphy.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitPr00/fantasy/2015

Took 12 snaps Week 1, then 17, in Week 2, then 27 in week 3, then 30 in Week 4. Over the back half of his rookie season, he averaged 39 snaps per game. You find a way on the field if you're producing. 

Or you play fullback.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Go look at Kerrigan’s snap counts and tell me where his back up is supposed to get a lot of playing time.

Okay.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018-snap-counts.htm

• 2018 (total snaps = 1033)
    • Ryan Kerrigan = 819 snaps (79.28%)
      • 43 tackles (30 solo), 11 TFL, 19 QB hits, AV 10
    • Ryan Anderson = 163 snaps (15.78%)
      • 18 tackles (7 solo), 1 TFL, 4 QB hits, AV 1
  • 2017 (total snaps = 1096)
    • Ryan Kerrigan = 820 snaps (74.82%)
      • 46 tackles (34 solo), 15 TFL, 17 QB hits, AV 11
    • Ryan Anderson = 193 snaps (17.61%)
      • 14 tackles (11 solo), 1 TFL, 2 QB hits, AV 1

If your assertion is right and he was a backup to Kerrigan, there were plenty of snaps to be had (20-25% of total defensive snaps, depending on the year). Anderson just didn't do much of anything with them.

EDIT: BTW, those tackle numbers include his special teams plays. The snaps are just on defense.

Archived