2019 NFL Free Agency - let the money flow like water!

SmittyBacall

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

Rams will not use the Franchise Tag and they are going to strongly try to resign Dante Fowler, but he will likely have a big market and Rams will be out bid.

As a free agent this is when you've got to ask yourself: Do I want the paycheck or the ring more?

12 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

As a free agent this is when you've got to ask yourself: Do I want the paycheck or the ring more?

This early in his career, he should take the money. BUT it's also comparing your options. The Rams may say, we will offer your 1yr $14million dollar prove it deal and if it pans out we will sign you long term. vs the Jets who will say we're going to give you 4yr $16mill a year with $40mill guaranteed or something along those lines.

Does the allure of LA market and potentially winning a ring make it worth betting on yourself or just taking the guarantee? 9/10 they still take the money and that's likely what will happen.

If the Browns deal Duke, I fully expect them to draft a mid round type of RB as an insurance policy to Hunt/Chubb. They'll need a guy who could potentially be asked to carry it 15+ times if Chubb goes down and Hunt is suspended. Perhaps the Browns believe that Duke is more of a slot guy than RB/carry it type anyway.

53 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

This early in his career, he should take the money. BUT it's also comparing your options. The Rams may say, we will offer your 1yr $14million dollar prove it deal and if it pans out we will sign you long term. vs the Jets who will say we're going to give you 4yr $16mill a year with $40mill guaranteed or something along those lines.

Does the allure of LA market and potentially winning a ring make it worth betting on yourself or just taking the guarantee? 9/10 they still take the money and that's likely what will happen.

The issue is he doesn't have to prove anything. His market is already set and at least one team will be willing to sign him an absurd contract. He's likely going to receive an offer in the same realm as Melvin Ingram's 4-year, $66 million with $42 million in guarantees, or Chandler Jones' 5-year $82.5 million ($16.5 annually - $53 million guaranteed). I think those will be the parameters Fowler and his agent set. It doesn't make sense on Fowler's end to settle for a 1-year deal with the Rams, no matter how alluring a championship or LA might be. Now if the Rams offer Fowler a team friendly deal somewhere in the ball park of what the other teams are willing to pay, then a tough decision has to be made.

Unfortunately, the Jets - or some team - are probably going to back up the Brinks truck up on Fowler. 

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

The issue is he doesn't have to prove anything. His market is already set and at least one team will be willing to sign him an absurd contract. He's likely going to receive an offer in the same realm as Melvin Ingram's 4-year, $66 million with $42 million in guarantees, or Chandler Jones' 5-year $82.5 million ($16.5 annually - $53 million guaranteed). I think those will be the parameters Fowler and his agent set. It doesn't make sense on Fowler's end to settle for a 1-year deal with the Rams, no matter how alluring a championship or LA might be. Now if the Rams offer Fowler a team friendly deal somewhere in the ball park of what the other teams are willing to pay, then a tough decision has to be made.

Unfortunately, the Jets - or some team - are probably going to back up the Brinks truck up on Fowler. 

Take him, Jets. Take him.

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

A $14 million prove it deal for Fowler? Are you kidding? That's comparable to what we gave Suh, who was a Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber player. Fowler is an average edge. No way, Jose. Fowler is worth half of that.

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Take him, Jets. Take him.

A $14 million prove it deal for Fowler? Are you kidding? That's comparable to what we gave Suh, who was a Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber player. Fowler is an average edge. No way, Jose. Fowler is worth half of that.

The market will dictate his worth and I bet you gets paid $14+ mil a year from someone. Not likely us, but a Jets/Browns/49ers is my guess. You know my stance, I want to keep him. Badly.

Archived