2019 NFL Free Agency - let the money flow like water!

SmittyBacall

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

The market will dictate his worth and I bet you gets paid $14+ mil a year from someone. Not likely us, but a Jets/Browns/49ers is my guess. You know my stance, I want to keep him. Badly.

And I'd bet you that at the soonest easy-out the team that signs him to that deal has, they'll be utilizing it.  More productive (and frankly better) edge rushers like Olivier Vernon are being shopped and potentially are cap-cuts because they're not performing up to expectation of the money they were given on the open market.  There's a better chance of bacon being proven to cure cancer than Dante Fowler living up to a $14+ million/yr contract.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And I'd bet you that at the soonest easy-out the team that signs him to that deal has, they'll be utilizing it.  More productive (and frankly better) edge rushers like Olivier Vernon are being shopped and potentially are cap-cuts because they're not performing up to expectation of the money they were given on the open market.  There's a better chance of bacon being proven to cure cancer than Dante Fowler living up to a $14+ million/yr contract.

You're betting on what you've seen plus what he could be. He's 24 and entering the prime of his career. You need to take risks like this because he is a highly sought after position in today's pass heavy NFL with loads of upside and untapped potential. Rams got some of that potential out of him and his best games were when it counted (playoffs). There are worse risks in FA than taking a chance on Dante Fowler Jr.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

You're betting on what you've seen plus what he could be. He's 24 and entering the prime of his career. You need to take risks like this because he is a highly sought after position in today's pass heavy NFL with loads of upside and untapped potential. Rams got some of that potential out of him and his best games were when it counted (playoffs). There are worse risks in FA than taking a chance on Dante Fowler Jr.

You're betting on what you still think he's capable of doing, when he's shown he's simply not going to reach his potential.  It happens.  I'm not paying "proven" price for "potential" at such a premium position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

You're betting on what you still think he's capable of doing, when he's shown he's simply not going to reach his potential.  It happens.  I'm not paying "proven" price for "potential" at such a premium position.

I mean that's essentially what FA is lol Anyone who is "proven" usually does not hit the market to begin with. Teams are forced to sift through bargain buys, vets, and the few players with talent/upside that hit the market are grossly overpaid. YOU may not pay proven pricing on potential, but most NFL GM's do and will.

Edited by BStanRamFan

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I mean that's essentially what FA is lol Anyone who is "proven" usually does not hit the market to begin with. Teams are forced to sift through bargain buys, vets, and the few players with talent/upside that hit the market are grossly overpaid. YOU may not pay proven pricing on potential, but most NFL GM's do and will.

You actually don't have your facts straight.  Inflated contract value of paying players who have 1 season of high-end product or who have above-average production and who GM's think can get higher than that is different than paying top or even just-below-the-top money for a guy who has never actually even sniffed that level of production actually doesn't happen in free agency but maybe once per offseason at most.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

The market will dictate his worth and I bet you gets paid $14+ mil a year from someone. Not likely us, but a Jets/Browns/49ers is my guess. You know my stance, I want to keep him. Badly.

Pretty sure Cleveland tried to trade for Fowler at some point last year. It’s no secret this point that they need a DE.

Edited by candyman93

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

And like Sammy Watkins, that team will have buyer's remorse.(if it happens)

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

And that's why a number of GMs are fired each year.

59 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Do it, Cardinals, please?!? This would be the best gift you could possibly give the 49ers, and the NFC West, really.

You kidding? The Cardinals are much scarier with Kyler Murray than with Rosen.