2019 NFL Free Agency - let the money flow like water!

SmittyBacall

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That Sammy Watkins contract looks dumber and dumber as they get the cap crunch.

Not at all. That Watkins contract was more for Mahomes having every possible weapon to succeed than anything. 2 year deal with an out. They will have a ton of cap space next year and decent cap space this year. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The LBC said:

You actually don't have your facts straight.  Inflated contract value of paying players who have 1 season of high-end product or who have above-average production and who GM's think can get higher than that is different than paying top or even just-below-the-top money for a guy who has never actually even sniffed that level of production actually doesn't happen in free agency but maybe once per offseason at most.

I had a long response with contract numbers and detail and my friggin IE crashed....but I'm going to summarize

Allen Robinson- overpaid on 1 year production

Trumaine Johnson-overpaid on mediocre production. No All-Pro designations I believe

Sammy Watkins- obvious one. overpaid on minimal production 

Russel Okung-overpaid on potential and scarcity of position

Nick Fairley-paid on all potential

Dre Kirkpatrick-paid on minimal production.

Now, these players have not lived up to their contracts, but were in fact paid on minimal production or none with tons of upside. I have 3 examples for each of the past 2 years and none are pass rushers. Historically, I agree, I should not want to pay Dante Fowler in the same way because....well, look. But historically, someone will.

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

And that's why a number of GMs are fired each year.

GM's are actually fired at a much lower rate than coaches. This offseason alone we had 3 GM changes and one was due to Ozzie Newsome retiring. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/02/head-coach-firings-general-managers-john-elway-vance-joseph-jason-licht-dirk-koetter

21 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

GM's are actually fired at a much lower rate than coaches. This offseason alone we had 3 GM changes and one was due to Ozzie Newsome retiring. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/02/head-coach-firings-general-managers-john-elway-vance-joseph-jason-licht-dirk-koetter

Okay. That isn't responsive. They're still fired plenty often because they hand out stupid contracts to average players

54 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Okay. That isn't responsive. They're still fired plenty often because they hand out stupid contracts to average players

This offseason it's a 6.25%  turnover rate if you do not count Ozzie's retirement. That is not plenty often. GM's are given more of a leash to take these types of chances. 

14 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

This offseason it's a 6.25%  turnover rate if you do not count Ozzie's retirement. That is not plenty often. GM's are given more of a leash to take these types of chances. 

And then they get fired.

8 hours ago, jaa1025 said:

Not at all. That Watkins contract was more for Mahomes having every possible weapon to succeed than anything. 2 year deal with an out. They will have a ton of cap space next year and decent cap space this year. 

They currently have 10 million in cap space [60 in 2020], with major contracts coming up in Chris Jones, Dee Ford, Tyreek Hill. They are almost 100% going to watch Nelson and Morse walk this season.

The contract structure is not my issue, it is the player that it was given to. They could have rolled without Watkins this season and rolled over that 16 million and used it for a Hill extension this year. They could have rolled it right into a Chris Jones deal.