Suspended FA DT David Irving Quits NFL

LinderFournette

Hey, good for him. The NFL doesn't need him and he doesn't need the NFL. If someone quits because he's concerned about injury, we almost commend them for their bravery, but this guy quit because he fundamentally disagrees with the rules of his corporation; i almost commend that just as much. He's made enough money to probably not have to work again and leave relatively injury free. Will he regret not making as much money as he could? Possibly, but we don't know his motivations. 

Enjoy man!

Threads like this are funny to me because everyone in here seemingly assumes everyone must love football as much as they do.

Football is a grind, and it beats the hell out of your body.  If it’s not something you truly love, it’s a hard thing to commit to.

Sucks to see such a talented guy move on, but it’s his life and his choice.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Hey, good for him. The NFL doesn't need him and he doesn't need the NFL. If someone quits because he's concerned about injury, we almost commend them for their bravery, but this guy quit because he fundamentally disagrees with the rules of his corporation; i almost commend that just as much. He's made enough money to probably not have to work again and leave relatively injury free. Will he regret not making as much money as he could? Possibly, but we don't know his motivations. 

Enjoy man!

I mean, there are professional ways to quit a job. Imagine if any one of us did this. This will still follow him to his next line of work. Assuming he works, maybe he doesn't need to if he saved and invested correctly but I've got little faith he did.

100% sure he's going to regret this. When you choose a drug over millions of dollars, you're obviously addicted. I know weed isn't an addictive drug, but people can psychologically be addicted to anything. In the video, he literally says he loves football. He's just salty because of the suspension. He's not wrong about the hypocrisy of weed being banned and the NFL shoving painkillers down your throat, but this isn't the way you make a statement. There's going to come a day where he's working a "regular person job" and he's going to have the realization that he made a monumental mistake. It's sad.

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I don’t see how smoking correlates with robbing someone’s house lol

I think Irving will try to come back eventually

When did I say it did? But when we hear about these guys screwing their life up here in football it seems more and more of them we read end up getting tossed in prison for going bat **** crazy and doing something stupid. I cant help but think it's because they come to the realization it will never be as good again as they had it when they were in the NFL and they cant cope with no professional and life skills. And some of these guys dont have near the sense of entitlement that a David Irving does. Irving I'm making an observation because of everything we have been through with him in the past. Most Cowboys fans hate him because of how selfish he is but we are willing to accept some just have problems and need help like Gregory. You rarely hear any type of hate going his way and rightfully so. I should have started that post with "Probably" but it's an educated guess with guys like him. 

As for the Cowboys, we already new this was coming but still havent seen anything about them I interviewing guys like Lawrence or Simmons in the draft which bums me out. But hopefully they do. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Threads like this are funny to me because everyone in here seemingly assumes everyone must love football as much as they do.

Football is a grind, and it beats the hell out of your body.  If it’s not something you truly love, it’s a hard thing to commit to.

Sucks to see such a talented guy move on, but it’s his life and his choice.

Being a fireman is hard too. Or a fisherman. Or a coal miner. There are hundreds of jobs that destroy your body. People do them, because you do what you have to provide for your family.

None of them have what Irving has - a chance to work hard for 6-10 years and retire in his early 30s without ever working again if he doesn’t want to, plus setting his family for (potentially) generations.

Throwing that away is an insult to everyone who would kill for that chance.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

No you're right hes not. But ADHD? Really?

I know nothing about Irving's mental and physical health. as far as we can tell from his comments, though, is that he suffers from SOME ailment(s)

but the idea that this is a guy who is choosing to smoke pot over play in the NFL and essentially be asked to replace pot with pills for medication just seems like a cheap response to me. I'm not saying I would have done what he did, but I think he's making this decision with some foresight into knowing he's going to need treatment and his decision about how he'd like to medicate himself

the whole "millions of people would kill to have what he could have" idea is a bit out of touch, if you ask me

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Enjoy man!

I agree with this. But he also said in the same Instagram video that he hasn't made a million yet (which is kind of hard to believe, but who knows), so he's not financially set.

Perhaps the NFL will allow the use of medicinal marijuana some time in the near future and he'll make his return. He's still young.

2 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Being a fireman is hard too. Or a fisherman. Or a coal miner. There are hundreds of jobs that destroy your body. People do them, because you do what you have to provide for your family.

And those jobs are a choice, just like being a professional athlete.  When someone quits those jobs, are they raked over the coals?

None of them have what Irving has - a chance to work hard for 6-10 years and retire in his early 30s without ever working again if he doesn’t want to, plus setting his family for (potentially) generations.

We know.

Throwing that away is an insult to everyone who would kill for that chance.

It’s not an insult to anyone.

If someone making a decision as to how they want to live their life (that has literally nothing to do with you) is insulting to you, maybe youre just a bit sensitive.

Archived