Raiders acquire WR Antonio Brown for a 3rd and 5th pick

agarcia34

6 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

One thing about Carr/AB: with Brown and Nelson as reliable as WR as there is with catching and route running, we will see a lot less of those instances where Carr is b1tchin that his WR ran the wrong route. To me I always sided with Carr on those, now they should never happen with that precise WR tandem. If it is still happening, we essentially know it's Carr's fault.

That also just reminded me of the pick 6 against KC on the worst "route" I have ever seen by Cook. Thinking about it almost makes me not want to bring him back lol. 

Carr may not be as good as we once hoped, but damn he has really put up with some boneheaded WR play.

I will be pretty interested to see whether Carr will have those same issues with AB that he had with Cooper and Seth over and over again in the middle, when it seemed that the ball was thrown behind the WR and the WR needed to slow down or even stop to make the catch. Also there were some contested cathes because of these throws.

I'm not sure whether the timing was off or just Carr has this tendency...

On 10/03/2019 at 1:51 PM, agarcia34 said:

Would like to think the Raiders will go after a WR with size. Butler,Boykins, Harry, Harmon or AJ Brown. I think there is a 99.9 p chance Briwn moves to the slot and you need guys who can play outside. 

I'm not sure about brown to the slot but it may be a good time to bring in a guy with big potential as we have two of the hardest working WRs in the business in our building. A young WR like Metcalf could learn a heck of a lot from Brown and Nelson.............. although the guy I'd love to see work with these two is Deebo Samuel, also can't help we saw a lot of him in the Senior Bowl and of course we wouldn't need to spend a first to get him.

3 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I will be pretty interested to see whether Carr will have those same issues with AB that he had with Cooper and Seth over and over again in the middle, when it seemed that the ball was thrown behind the WR and the WR needed to slow down or even stop to make the catch. Also there were some contested cathes because of these throws.

I still expect some plays where the timing or throw is off because it's a hard thing to do, AB and Carr are new teammates and people are try to stop them from doing it.

@justwinbaby81 just because AB is good doesn't mean he won't make mistakes. He will also be in his first year of Gruden's offense. So saying any misstep will only be on Carr is misguided.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2019 at 4:29 PM, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm torn about the move.  I like the compensation we gave up, that is great value for one of the best WR's in the NFL.  There is no doubting AB's talent and work ethic but we cant deny that he is 31 and his game is built on speed and elusiveness.  Once he starts to lose those attributes he wont be the AB we all know.  Will it be this year, next year or year 3 is anyones guess.  I also question how he will react if this team has another 4 win season.

On a positive note we landed AB for a 3rd and 5th and I think having AB will help us attract better FA's.  I'm torn about the contract bc it severely cuts into the amount of cap space we have available.  Before we landed AB I was skeptical about the quality of FA we could attract when most agents think of this franchise as a laughing stock and a bottom of the barrel team/roster.    Hopefully landing AB makes playing for the Raiders more attractive to FA's.  Even though we have less cap space than before landing AB, when it's all over it may be a positive when it comes to FA.  

Time will tell if the move was good or not...  I would also be open to signing Bell if the price is right.  That would allow us to go heavy on D with our first 4 picks in the draft.  If we do land Bell I could see 3 of the 4 pics being D and one of the picks being a WR. 

Whilst there's always a risk with older WR's I think Brown is the type of player that could, if he wanted to, play well into his 30s. Whilst he no doubt has speed and elusiveness which will regress some he's also a very proficient and sharp route runner, very savvy in his hand fighting and beating off press coverage and just great at all the little things like pushing off and using all his tools to get separation. I think he'll age well given his work ethic too, the only bit that scares me is the amount of money we're giving him really.

7 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Yeah but Carr is nowhere near as precise as Brady to methodically pick apart a defense all game in the short and intermediate game. He'll make a mistake sooner or later. 

You have to be able to take shots downfield to keep the defense honest like BR said. 

Carr showed on that run of no picks that he can be precise. Comparing anyone to Brady, how has had a decade to perfect this style is shortsited. This was his first year in the offense. I expect him to be even better at it this year. Plus, Carr has shown that he is deadly with those seam and out route throws which are the deeper throws that Gruden's offense calls for most of the time. Very few Go routes called in this offense.

Of course, we all want him to improve in all areas just for the sake of wanting to win more games. I think what he should be really working on is his progression thru receivers when he has more time(which he should this year) and accuracy in intermediate throws like those seams, outs and crossing routes. Those are where our big plays will come from 8 times out of 10.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I'm not sure about brown to the slot but it may be a good time to bring in a guy with big potential as we have two of the hardest working WRs in the business in our building. A young WR like Metcalf could learn a heck of a lot from Brown and Nelson.............. although the guy I'd love to see work with these two is Deebo Samuel, also can't help we saw a lot of him in the Senior Bowl and of course we wouldn't need to spend a first to get him.

I love Deebo. I think that is a smart play but I also think that we need a young guy with some burst and size. Maybe we see more from Ateman or one of our receiving TEs like Butler or Carrier but with some many big, talented WRs in this draft like @agarcia34 mentioned it has to be mid round consideration. On top of Butler, Boykins, Harry, Harmon there is JJ WHiteside, Jalen Hurd, Lil Humphrey, Anthony Wesley, Keelan Doss, David Sills, Felton Davis III, Jazz Ferguson, Jamal Custis, Jamarius Way, Emmanuel Butler, Preston WIlliams, Shaun Poindexter, Ron Tarver and James Gardner. Literally tons of big WRs out there. We just need to choose the right one/s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZoomWaffle said:

Adding AB and Trent Brown makes me a lot more confident in our offense. I still hope we use one of our first four picks on a WR.

Our o-line should be at least average with Brown - Good - Hudson - Jackson - Miller. Good was solid in Indy and looked capable in limited times and I think Miller will do better at RT.

Skill position wise, we need a lot of help still. Brown is elite but Jordy is on his last legs and shouldn't be more than a #3/4. We don't have a TE as it stands, our FB is subpar and the only RB's we have right now are Richard and Washington. Not to mention Carr himself has some question marks. 

The Browns are tremendous additions, but we have a looooot of work to do still.

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

IMO, this occurs because Carr doesn't trust himself to accurately lead the receiver and if Carr can't fix this, it won't matter if he's throwing to AB or any other receiver.

3 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

IMO, this occurs because Carr doesn't trust himself to accurately lead the receiver and if Carr can't fix this, it won't matter if he's throwing to AB or any other receiver.

I think it's more him not wanting to throw a pick or throw a guy into a concussion. I get where you are coming from though.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Carr showed on that run of no picks that he can be precise.

I disagree. It was one of the more lucky no-INT streaks I've seen. He threw plenty of should've been intercepted passes, like right in the defenders hands and they dropped it time after time. 

I think BP posted a stat Carr was near the top of the league in should-be-picks passes. That's not my definition of precision. 

I do agree with you, however, he needs to get better at going through his progressions. Alot of the time it looks like he has his mind made up where he's going with the ball, and when its not there he loses his poise and is quick to checkdown. Hopefully with better protection, he can regain his confidence in the pocket and scan the field more. But we'll see.