Raiders acquire WR Antonio Brown for a 3rd and 5th pick

agarcia34

10 hours ago, NickButera said:

Drew R and AB both seemed to include Carr in the discussion when talking about the trade (Which makes me assume there was talks behind the scenes if they feel the need to bring it up)

Let me play Devil's Advocate. Is it possible AB signed here because drafting Murray was in the discussion?

12 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

So you're boasting and gloating because Charlie Casserly - the guy who ruined any and all credibility he had last week with his bogus and biased reporting, a talking TV head in Michael Irvin who works with Carrs brother on NFL Network, and slimy Drew Rosenhaus and Antonio Brown said what they said about Carr? Lol ok.

I dont care what they say, AB didn't come to Oakland solely to play with a QB who threw only 19 Touchdown passes last year. He came here because we were probably the only team that was willing to rework his deal. You can believe all that other fluff if you want to but that's the main reason he's here. He clearly likes Carr, which is very understandable as Carr is a very likeable guy but we'll see how that translates onto the field. 

Bottom line Carr has no excuses not to play better. I want to hear you admit that.

So if the oline is a disaster again and Carr has 2 seconds or less to throw the ball this season then he has no excuse because we have a great WR? Just GTFOH!

Edited by NightTrainLane

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think it is VERY likely Carr is the QB for 2019. However Frankie, never say never in the NFL. Carr is not safe until pick #4’s name is called at the podium. If it’s not a QB, he’s good. 

However, there’s always a chance Cards skip Murray and Gruden is on the clock at 4. If he calls Miami and during that 10 minutes and they give #13 for Carr, I think it’s a no brainer for Gruden. 

I think it’s a 95% chance Carr is the starter for 2019, but you are acting like it’s impossible he won’t be Frankie. Nothing is official yet. 

You're right, nothing is impossible.  All indicators point to Carr being the QB in 2019 and the front office clearly has been stating that Carr is a franchise QB.  

Drafting a QB at 4 would be foolish considering the top tier talent that should be available.  This team has holes to fill at most every position and drafting a Qb at 4 when we have a 27 year old franchise QB on the roster would be pointless.  If Carr was 35 it would be a different story but he is not.  

We are actually in a great position at 4.  If the "big 3" are gone we can always trade back to a QB hungry team and acquire more draft capital.  If a QB goes in the top 3 we get one of the "big 3" at 4.  

12 hours ago, daineraider said:

No, criticizing Carr doesn’t mean we want him to retire, it means we want him to play better.  Does he need a better Oline? Yes.  But the guy checked down way too often the last two seasons.  That is a criticism I have about Carr, that doesn’t mean I hate him and want him to retire.  It also doesn’t mean I want him traded or cut.  It means I want him to make better decisions.  

I don’t watch Michael Irvin or Casserly though, so what do I know.  You watch NFL network so us clueless guys should just ask you for football opinions for now on.

I want more down the field play as well. But I'm also aware that was a symptom of the situation. An Oline that is allowing pressure consistently, new offense, best weapons that do there best/most regular work within 12 yards of the line of scrimmage (Cook, Richard and Nelson). If we are saying that Carr made quick decisions last year we also have to admit that the above reason played a key role in that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

So if the oline is a disaster again and Carr has 2 seconds or less to throw the ball the this season then he has no excuse because we have a great WR? Just GTFOH!

If we completely reload our offense with two OL (draft and FA; OG and RT), another WR (draft), and a TE (either), Derek Carr should essentially get back to 2016 form.  If we don't address the OL, resign Doug Martin, and pickup a mediocre TE, then I wouldn't expect D. Carr's numbers to shoot through the roof.  Hopefully we cut D. Penn and use that extra 5 million towards revamping our offense.  No reason to pay an aging, injury prone backup more than 7 million to sit on the bench behind a mediocre RT.

• Like 1

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Someone said in the AB News thread that New England offered a 2nd and 4th round pick for Brown but the Steelers did not want to trade him to NE under any circumstances.

Good.  I'm tired of teams handing the Patriots championship rings.  That sneaky little devil in the hoodie can kick rocks.

58 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

We all just thought...well he's an introvert haha.

But he really is. Even looking at his press stuff with Dallas. He is rarely smiling or giving off positive "vibes"/body language.

Exactly. Cooper is a quiet kid, always has been, he takes a business first approach to the game and his demeanor. Brown has a bleached blonde mustache. 

• Like 1

Love the animated and positive brown but he also animated when it’s a negative situation. That picture above is the same for Cooper good or bad. All fun and games now for Brown. Just hope he can stay under control. Cooper was never a problem off the field/in the huddle. He’s getting a bad rap around here. 

27 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Love the animated and positive brown but he also animated when it’s a negative situation. That picture above is the same for Cooper good or bad. All fun and games now for Brown. Just hope he can stay under control. Cooper was never a problem off the field/in the huddle. He’s getting a bad rap around here. 

All true, but in the end it comes down to production.  Can AB produce where Coop couldn't?