Browns trade for OBJ

49erurtaza

12 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

What's Jabrill Peppers worth in this? More or less than the 3rd round pick?

I would say a 2nd to the right team. He was pretty good last year once they actually let him be a SS and not a deep FS. Made multiple big plays in big games. Baically took over the Browns/Broncos game. Would not be surprised to see Peppers head to a couple Pro Bowls in the next 5/6 years. Hes a good young player that only ascending.

Hes by no means a 'throw in' in that trade.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Oh wow he broke a rookie record (ie: not a real one) let’s all touch ourselves 

When you consider the people at the top of the list he passed to get the record: Russell Wilson, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.

I would feel pretty confident that means something about what direction his future play is heading in.

• Like 1

Honestly, it's pretty good compensation for the Giants.  It just looks bad because of all the contradicting things Gettleman has said to the media.

They get a 1st, a former 1st rounder who's playing pretty well, and a late 3rd.  That's a good haul for a WR.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Who wants to live in Cleveland over New York especially given OBJ’s demeanor thus far in his career. Nothing against the Browns. They’ve got a better chance then they have in a long time. 

Lord people really need to quit thinking of "old Cleveland" Cleveland has went through a extreme facelift over the past 6-7 years and is a really fun city. Its just not the massive size and media market NY is

Also, this isnt the NBA. One of the greatest QBs of all time has played the last decade+ in Green Bay Wisconsin. Would anybody mention the city if OBJ was traded there?

Edited by AkronsWitness

4 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Honestly, it's pretty good compensation for the Giants.  It just looks bad because of all the contradicting things Gettleman has said to the media.

They get a 1st, a former 1st rounder who's playing pretty well, and a late 3rd.  That's a good haul for a WR.

I think when you look at the two trades combined it looks a bit more even. Cleveland certainly got the better of it though

8 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

$16m dead cap for next year, though? In fact, he's going to cost more in cap for Giants than Browns next season. It didn't sound like he was desperate to leave either, so I don't get it. Bad move commercially, plus if they pick up busts with their 2x 1st round pick then even worse. 

They need to draft well for this to make any sense in terms of their PO prospects. 

• Like 1

Good move for the Giants.  I'll never understand why they extended him before trading him.  I know it's not a popular opinion in NFL fandom, but I'm a firm believer in certain receivers not being worth having on a team no matter how good they are because of their personality, and OBJ is in that category. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The Browns have a chance to be great or implode with all that personality. 

Would love to see them win and make the playoffs. Their fans deserve it

Like others have said, I think Mayfields personality is perfect guy to wrangle in everybody and keep people focused on the right path. You need a strong personality to manage other strong personalities. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gmen19851 said:

Cutting Eli does nothing in general.  It doesn't stop you from taking a QB.  It's just more dead money for cap space that they'll probably not use until next year.  You might not like it, but the giants are looking at a rebuild.  If they draft a QB this year or next, Eli will be your week 1 starter in September.  

If you’re looking at a rebuild then why is Eli still there? Is he there for the simple fact that he is supposed to mentor this next QB?