49ers are working on a trade for Dee Ford.

BroncoSojia

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Why did they pick Spags again? "Hey I'm going to need you to get rid of your two Pro Bowl caliber pass rushers if we're going to run my scheme."

OK, thanks for interviewing, we'll call you.

They still have Houston Texas right? :)

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

17.5M per season? Pretty dang steep for a guy like Ford. Better value than Barr though, Ford > Barr. 

Its what Flowers got. Very predictable contract, to be honest. Just the market. Franchise tag is over 17 million for him I think. If you think he's a 12 - 13 sack guy every year, that's certainly what you are going to be paying regardless. I have no problem with this particular deal because we didn't set this market, we were just beholden to it. 

The Chiefs thinking is probably that Ford might not have been a perfect fit for the 4-3 and for sure they were not signing him long term because of cap restrictions and some injury concerns.

Now, trading him now allows them to use the 16M Ford was set to count against the cap to sign FAs to replace his loss and still have more cap space to sign Hill and Jones. And then Veach loves flexibility in the draft to allow him to be aggressive as he loves to be. I would be very surprised if Veach doesn't trade one or more 2020 picks in the upcoming draft to trade up.

1 minute ago, Tyty said:

Chiefs defense is kinda stressing me out at this point, NE only really has Cleveland to fret about at this point

Nah, Brett Veach is going to cut Dustin Colquitt and sign Le'Veon Bell. Make a four down offense and you never have to punt or need a defense. Just have to win the coin tosses and make sure to have the ball last.

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

@Jakuvious

What are your thoughts? You guys happy with this? 

Happy would be a stretch. I'm not unhappy though, either. A little surprised. My prediction all offseason was that we would move on from one of Ford or Houston. When rumors popped that we were shopping both, I figured we'd take the best deal for either and keep whoever was left. I'm surprised that we cut Houston AND traded Ford. I'm sure this carries some kind of statement from our FO, but I'm not sure what. Maybe that means we love Speaks and Kpass. Maybe it means we go edge heavy in the draft. Maybe they just think the money is better spent elsewhere. Or they just don't trust Ford long term. Not sure. But it's interesting, I think.

Value-wise, I think it's fair. We definitely did it more for the cap space than for the pick though. Theoretically we could've rented him this year for the franchise tag and gotten a 2020 3rd as a comp pick. So I'm sure we did it more for that $16M (and the ability to spend it) than that round and a half worth of picks. But I don't think either side got robbed or anything there.

I definitely think this mostly comes down to the 49ers being able and willing to take a risk that we weren't. Ford had a great year last year. But it was his first. He was good in 2016, but he wasn't this good. He was streakier. I think almost all his sacks came in like a 5 week stretch mid-season that year. A few people said he didn't do anything prior to 2018, and that's not true. But prior to 2018 he hadn't shown this level of play either. Add in that it's a contract year, and he hasn't always been healthy, and many were not sold on paying him. Those that are fond of Ford tended to be in the camp of, franchise him, make him do it again, and if he does, then pay him. For that reason I think it's a risky move for San Fran. San Fran can just afford that risk so much more easily than we can.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I definitely think this mostly comes down to the 49ers being able and willing to take a risk that we weren't. Ford had a great year last year. But it was his first. He was good in 2016, but he wasn't this good. He was streakier. I think almost all his sacks came in like a 5 week stretch mid-season that year. A few people said he didn't do anything prior to 2018, and that's not true. But prior to 2018 he hadn't shown this level of play either. Add in that it's a contract year, and he hasn't always been healthy, and many were not sold on paying him. Those that are fond of Ford tended to be in the camp of, franchise him, make him do it again, and if he does, then pay him. For that reason I think it's a risky move for San Fran. San Fran can just afford that risk so much more easily than we can.

The niners outside pass rush has been non-existent for the last few years. We completely ignored the position last year. Added literally no one in the draft or FA on the edge. It was baffling 

Our best pass rushers have been on the inside. I have been saying it for the past 15 months: if we had some speed around the corner that could make QBs step up into the pocket that it would make our passrush a lot better. The guy doesn't even need to do anything other than have the speed and bend to get the edge and make the QB move towards buckner Thomas etc .

So from that standpoint, there is some synergy with this move for us. It's going to make other guys better, even if Ford doesn't get a lot of sacks 

Also I will add that our cap guy is a wizard and whatever we do will have outs after 2-3 years (as I posted on page 1) that's a guarantee 

40 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

Lynch is sitting in a great spot now.  He can sit back and choose between Bosa or QW unless Gettleman makes him a offer he can't refuse for the second pick.

Second round is where I am struggling though, we are going to have to make a tough choice between a free safety and a WR 

Archived