Tyrell Williams signs with the Oakland Raiders

agarcia34

58 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Chargers offense was built to spread the ball around. Kennan Allen was obviously there #1 and got a ton of targets but after that, they had like 5 other guys with 50+ targets. Williams is only 27 and has proven to be one of the better deep threat WR in the NFL and the only season he actually got #1/#2 WR targets he put up 1,000 yards & 7 TD. 

Devin Funchess got $13M from the Colts and a lot of the slot guys got close to $10M per year too. We got fair market value for Williams.

Absolutely. People referencing these small WRs and their deals compared to Williams' seem to have forgotten that we just filled mold that with the best version of it in the league, AB. Having him and Brown or him and Humphries is redundant and makes adding a big target a need we'd have to fill in the draft. We are trying to cross off those needs. Great move by the team.

31 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'd take Brown with that contract over Williams but that's probably it. Williams is going to be good for us.

Brown is 5'10" 175, Gruden loves bigger WR and we needed someone that compliments AB's game.

I wasn't big on Williams signing him to be wr1. But opposite AB, I like this idea more. 

Big picture, I like what they are building. Protect Carr, improve his weapons and see if he can regain for 2016 form. 

But still got a long way to go on the Defense.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Absolutely. People referencing these small WRs and their deals compared to Williams' seem to have forgotten that we just filled mold that with the best version of it in the league, AB. Having him and Brown or him and Humphries is redundant and makes adding a big target a need we'd have to fill in the draft. We are trying to cross off those needs. Great move by the team.

I’m happy to get Williams the more I think about it.  I think it’s the sticker shock of having over $30 mil committed to the position when our defense hasn’t really been addressed yet.  That should happen during the draft so I was overthinking how much we were spending on O.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I wasn't big on Williams signing him to be wr1. But opposite AB, I like this idea more. 

Big picture, I like what they are building. Protect Carr, improve his weapons and see if he can regain for 2016 form. 

Agreed. A ton of people had him in their mock drafts as a free agent target, i didnt love the idea. Guys that are supposed to be #2 guys that are forced into the #1 role can put up inflated numbers but their impact is capped and it can hurt the team in the long run. This was before we landed the best WR in football. Now the move takes a lot more sense. Williams is a phenomenal compliment to Brown, hes big, fast, and can take the top of the defense, AB can do that too, but he thrives in a different area of the football field. They have the ability to be one of the better WR duos in the NFL, and Carr has his best group of wideouts since entering the league. If the OL can step up and we can find some youth for the backfield he could really thrive. 

Jordy as a number 3 could have a nice season too IMO. His best days are clearly behind him, but with 2 guys outside drawing coverage he could see a lot of favorable matchups and be a nice target in the redzone and on third down. 

4 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

If he's a better red zone threat then AB, this is going to be fun.

I think there will be plenty for everyone. AB skill set makes him deadly in any part of the field. WIlliams main attributes are his size, speed, catch radius and hands. Not about who is better. It's about putting the defense in a bad position. Like AB said, "...if the team is successful, he'll be successful."

12 hours ago, big_palooka said:

With Mayock, I hope we do it the right way. Methodically and getting the best guys.

At least, if the O is humming we have a chance. Some of our db's can make plays on the ball and create turnovers. A lot of teams can't say that (not that the defense as a whole is anything to be proud of rn). Joyner at the very least can help the rush with his versatility as a blitzer. We need talent anywhere we can get it. Luckily, there's talent at CB, LB, and DL in this draft. Safety might be ok, but I don't see it as a pressing need. 

On 13/03/2019 at 8:59 PM, agarcia34 said:

Wow, that's a lot of money for a very average WR.

I'm not a fan of this move at all, sure he's tall and can stretch the field and he is good at jump balls but seems very, very similar to Bryant. Not a great route runner, inconsistent hands and struggles against press............ I'd much rather spend the money on Cook and get one of the many great looking options at WR in the draft, even double dip. We may well do that too but we now have (I believe) around $40m tied up in three receivers O.o with only one being a true elite guy.

26 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I'm not a fan of this move at all, sure he's tall and can stretch the field and he is good at jump balls but seems very, very similar to Bryant. Not a great route runner, inconsistent hands and struggles against press............ I'd much rather spend the money on Cook and get one of the many great looking options at WR in the draft, even double dip. We may well do that too but we now have (I believe) around $40m tied up in three receivers O.o with only one being a true elite guy.

Williams is an underrated route runner. He's not Keenan Allen, but he's definitely a more nuanced route runner than Bryant. I can definitely see the Alen influences in his game when I watched him play.

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Good point. Living in Southern Cal, Ive seen Williams play a lot. I didn't think his play warranted this contract. He's a ok WR 2/3 but he's really just an slightly above average WR. Tyrell Williams presence didn't prevent LAC from drafting Mike Williams.

Should be interesting how Williams plays after catching balls from a HOF caliber QB in Rivers then going to Carr. There has been several Big WRs go in and out of the Chargers organization like him. 

Im hoping for the best though

Archived