Matthew Stafford and Lions agree to new deal

BroncoSojia

On 8/28/2017 at 10:35 PM, TitanSlim said:

I saw that Stafford has a career record of 5-46 record against teams with winning records.

That's crazy to me.

Crazy stat.. But not when you think about how bad some of those Lions teams have been over the years lol.

I'm happy for Matt. Always been a fan of his. Not the best QB in the league but he's pretty damn good. Get him more players haha

Stafford's rankings among the NFL QBs since 2009 (min. 1,000 pass attempts): 

Completion Percentage: 22nd
TD Percentage: 20th
INT Percentage: 21st
Quarterback Rating: 21st
Yards/Attempt: 26th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 21st
QB Wins: 16th
QB Losses: 4th most

Some other QBs. Starting with those generally considered the NFL's best. Brady: 

Completion Percentage: 10th
TD Percentage: 4th
INT Percentage: 2nd
Quarterback Rating: 3rd
Yards/Attempt: 8th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 2nd
QB Wins: 1st
QB Losses: 27th most

Rodgers: 

Completion Percentage: 5th
TD Percentage: 1st
INT Percentage: 1st
Quarterback Rating: 1st
Yards/Attempt: 1st
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 1st
QB Wins: 2nd
QB Losses: 18th most

Brees: 

Completion Percentage: 1st
TD Percentage: 3rd
INT Percentage: 15th
Quarterback Rating:  2nd
Yards/Attempt: 5th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 4th
QB Wins: 3rd
QB Losses: 8th most

Peyton: 

Completion Percentage: 2nd
TD Percentage: 2nd
INT Percentage: 19th
Quarterback Rating: 5th
Yards/Attempt: 9th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt:  3rd
QB Wins: 7th
QB Losses: 38th most

Roethlisberger: 

Completion Percentage: 8th
TD Percentage: 8th
INT Percentage: 12th
Quarterback Rating: 7th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 3rd
QB Wins: 5th
QB Losses: 11th most

Rivers: 

Completion Percentage: 7th
TD Percentage: 7th
INT Percentage: 27th
Quarterback Rating: 8th
Yards/Attempt: 4th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 9th
QB Wins: 10th
QB Losses: Most

A couple mid-tier QBs. Matt Ryan: 

Completion Percentage:  6th
TD Percentage: 11th
INT Percentage: 11th
Quarterback Rating: 9th
Yards/Attempt: 14th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 10th
QB Wins: 4th
QB Losses: 5th most

Andy Dalton:  

Completion Percentage: 14th
TD Percentage: 15th
INT Percentage: 23rd
Quarterback Rating: 13th
Yards/Attempt: 19th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 16th
QB Wins: 13th
QB Losses: 19th most

And now for some of the lower tiers. Flacco: 

Completion Percentage: 19th
TD Percentage: 30th
INT Percentage: 17th
Quarterback Rating: 28th
Yards/Attempt: 31st
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 28th
QB Wins: 6th
QB Losses: 9th most

Cutler: 

Completion Percentage: 18th
TD Percentage: 12th
INT Percentage: 39th
Quarterback Rating: 27th
Yards/Attempt: 24th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 30th
QB Wins: 17th
QB Losses: 7th most

QBs definitely have some outliers for stats, and any one statistic, but when you look at a bunch of them, you can see much clearer pictures of where a QB ranks overall. Even looking at some advanced metrics, Stafford has never finished higher than 10th in DVOA for a single season, and in last year's impressive season, he was merely 14th. It seems like quite the overpay. 

The flip side of this is that in 2018, Cousins, Bradford, Winston, and Mariotta will all have the ability to top it (and I imagine at least two of them will), and by the end of the 2020 season, all but 4 of the current starting QBs will need new contracts that will push Stafford's deal back toward the middle of the pack. But it will be one of the top QB contracts over the next 3 seasons.

And the other side - the Lions still have near $50 million in cap room for 2018, so it's not like they won't be able to do much of what they'd need. Especially since that now factors in the oversized QB contract most teams have on their cap. 

On 8/28/2017 at 9:09 PM, TitanLegend said:

So you're telling me the Lions roster has been just good enough for them to dominate non-winning record teams(.710 winning percentage in those games, 8th best in the league), but the gap between their roster and winning teams rosters is so big they can only manage 5 wins? Something ain't adding up there bro.

DIXRTclXkAE0uHL.jpg:large

It certainly isn't and I'm not implying it's all Stafford's fault, but there's an issue somewhere in there. I'm not sure any other QB in modern NFL history who has started the same number of games as STafford could claim a record that bad vs winning teams. I mean all he/the Lions have to do is win games against 9-7 teams. It's not asking him to beat the Pats 20 times.

And yes using wins solely to evaluate QB play is bad, but you're kidding yourself if you don't believe that the biggest difference in wins or losses in todays game is QB play. If you don't have a good QB or an absolutely top tier defense, you aren't winning football games. QBs are supposed to elevate their teams. Especially QBs who get paid like this.

I'm curious now. What are the stats for other top 10 QBs with regards to record against teams with winning records ?

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

How is supporting cast seemingly ignored in this conversation?  In the ultimate team sport, the team has been terrible, and his numbers reflect that.

Stafford is a fringe top 10 QB at worst, entering his prime, on a team with a strong, improved supporting cast.  He's undoubtedly a franchise QB, and the contract is in line with the league norm and his status.

$135 million is an obscene amount of money, but Stafford is really all they have since Calvin Johnson retired. They couldn't take even the slightest chance of losing him, so they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Unfortunately for Detroit...

On 8/28/2017 at 11:16 PM, OleXmad said:

Stafford's a good QB and he got paid, but until the lions surround him with enough talent to actually win a playoff game he "won't live up to the deal"

Does anyone really believe they'll get their act together in time to build a Super Bowl-worthy team around Stafford before his career ends? I know hope springs eternal, but I just don't see it happening.

I can't believe some of the arguments I'm seeing here. Straight up refusal to answer questions, manipulating questions and data to fit your narratives.

Shane, TL asked you if Rodgers played at this same level for another 6 years, but GB didn't win a championship during that time, would you be happy? That question magically morphed into something completely different by the time you attempted to address it. Stop condescending. 

I'm actually watching a GB fan compare Stafford directly to Brett Favre to Stafford's detriment. One of the greatest QBs of all time. I can't even believe the lack of perspective here.

People showing Stafford's efficiency stats is fine. However, for proper perspective, one should also show his volume stats. He's is among the ALL TIME LEADERS in pass attempts p/g, completions p/g, yards p/g, 4th quarter comebacks, etc. He's forced to throw constantly. 

Whatever. This does me no good.

45 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

How is supporting cast seemingly ignored in this conversation?  In the ultimate team sport, the team has been terrible, and his numbers reflect that.

Stafford is a fringe top 10 QB at worst, entering his prime, on a team with a strong, improved supporting cast.  He's undoubtedly a franchise QB, and the contract is in line with the league norm and his status.

According to some, he hasn't had decent teams in the past, but he's had high quality players at nearly every position since entering the league. O.o

On August 28, 2017 at 9:45 PM, IDOG_det said:

Happens when you take over for the worst team in history that was incapable of building a defense, offensive line, or stable of running backs.

And you know that Stafford had virtually no playing time his first two years, making almost that entire stat based on the Lions from 2011 onwards where talent hasn't been an issue.

7 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Oh man.  We're doomed.  For as long as Stafford has that title, I guess we'll never improve...

Thank goodness the next QB in line will take that title in a handful of months.

I admire the straw man arguments here. Gotta love when fans feel obligated to defend their team's bad moves

4 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

I admire the straw man arguments here. Gotta love when fans feel obligated to defend their team's bad moves

It's only a straw man if he's not refuting what was stated. Reading helps. Also, when my team makes a bad move, as they do often, I will say so. Completing a deal everyone knew was going to happen and makes sense for both sides, do not factor into a "bad move". 

11 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

It's only a straw man if he's not refuting what was stated. Reading helps. Also, when my team makes a bad move, as they do often, I will say so. Completing a deal everyone knew was going to happen and makes sense for both sides, do not factor into a "bad move". 

Loool if you say so

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'm sorry. Which receiver other than Calvin Johnson did you want the Lions to have from 2009-2015? I can think of 31 teams who would have been happy to trade. Some might say the Lions had the best receiver in that time, I mean especially since he had the most receiving yards and touchdowns and was second only to Brandon Marshall in receptions in that time. 

From 2009-2013, Brandon Pettigrew was the 10th most prolific receiving tight end. From 2014-2016, Eric Ebron is the 15th (11th over the last two years). Golden Tate is the 10th most prolific receiver over the last 3 years. Nate Burleson and Calvin Johnson combined for more receiving yards as the top two receivers than all but 2 other top two receiver tandems (Jennings/Nelson in Green Bay, Maclin/Jackson in Philadelphia). Seems like Stafford had a better supporting cast situation than a bunch of quarterbacks. Certainly Rivers, Flacco, Alex Smith, etc. would prefer/would have preferred these options. 

5 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Completion Percentage: 22nd
TD Percentage: 20th
INT Percentage: 21st
Quarterback Rating: 21st
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 21st
QB Wins: 16th
QB Losses: 4th most

Some other QBs. Starting with those generally considered the NFL's best. Brady: 

Completion Percentage: 10th
TD Percentage: 4th
INT Percentage: 2nd
Quarterback Rating: 3rd
Yards/Attempt: 8th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 2nd
QB Wins: 1st
QB Losses: 27th most

Rodgers: 

Completion Percentage: 5th
TD Percentage: 1st
INT Percentage: 1st
Quarterback Rating: 1st
Yards/Attempt: 1st
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 1st
QB Wins: 2nd
QB Losses: 18th most

Brees: 

Completion Percentage: 1st
TD Percentage: 3rd
INT Percentage: 15th
Quarterback Rating:  2nd
Yards/Attempt: 5th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 4th
QB Wins: 3rd
QB Losses: 8th most

Peyton: 

Completion Percentage: 2nd
TD Percentage: 2nd
INT Percentage: 19th
Quarterback Rating: 5th
Yards/Attempt: 9th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt:  3rd
QB Wins: 7th
QB Losses: 38th most

Roethlisberger: 

Completion Percentage: 8th
TD Percentage: 8th
INT Percentage: 12th
Quarterback Rating: 7th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 3rd
QB Wins: 5th
QB Losses: 11th most

Rivers: 

Completion Percentage: 7th
TD Percentage: 7th
INT Percentage: 27th
Quarterback Rating: 8th
Yards/Attempt: 4th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 9th
QB Wins: 10th
QB Losses: Most

A couple mid-tier QBs. Matt Ryan: 

Completion Percentage:  6th
TD Percentage: 11th
INT Percentage: 11th
Quarterback Rating: 9th
Yards/Attempt: 14th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 10th
QB Wins: 4th
QB Losses: 5th most

Andy Dalton:  

Completion Percentage: 14th
TD Percentage: 15th
INT Percentage: 23rd
Quarterback Rating: 13th
Yards/Attempt: 19th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 16th
QB Wins: 13th
QB Losses: 19th most

And now for some of the lower tiers. Flacco: 

Completion Percentage: 19th
TD Percentage: 30th
INT Percentage: 17th
Quarterback Rating: 28th
Yards/Attempt: 31st
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 28th
QB Wins: 6th
QB Losses: 9th most

Cutler: 

Completion Percentage: 18th
TD Percentage: 12th
INT Percentage: 39th
Quarterback Rating: 27th
Yards/Attempt: 24th
Adjusted Net Yards/Pass Attempt: 30th
QB Wins: 17th
QB Losses: 7th most

QBs definitely have some outliers for stats, and any one statistic, but when you look at a bunch of them, you can see much clearer pictures of where a QB ranks overall. Even looking at some advanced metrics, Stafford has never finished higher than 10th in DVOA for a single season, and in last year's impressive season, he was merely 14th. It seems like quite the overpay. 

The flip side of this is that in 2018, Cousins, Bradford, Winston, and Mariotta will all have the ability to top it (and I imagine at least two of them will), and by the end of the 2020 season, all but 4 of the current starting QBs will need new contracts that will push Stafford's deal back toward the middle of the pack. But it will be one of the top QB contracts over the next 3 seasons.

And the other side - the Lions still have near $50 million in cap room for 2018, so it's not like they won't be able to do much of what they'd need. Especially since that now factors in the oversized QB contract most teams have on their cap. 

do you honestly not see how flawed this is? Remind me, what year was Staffords rookie season?

Archived