Gute's Amazing Roster Purge

TheOnlyThing

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Complain?

Who is complaining about Gute turning over the roster?

Yes, complain.  You've literally started the exact same thread multiple times.  If that's not complaining, I don't know what is.  Just to prove a point, let's go look at the 2015 and 2016 Packer rosters.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/9/5/9266603/packers-2015-53-man-roster-finalized-nine-ol-11-dbs
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2016/9/3/12787156/green-bay-packers-final-ish-53-man-roster-for-2016

Let's go down the list of guys who are on the 2015 roster, but not on the 2016 roster.

QB Scott Tolzien
RB Alonzo Harris
FB John Kuhn
WR Myles White
TE Andrew Quarless
TE Kennard Backman
OG Josh Sitton
OL Don Barclay
OG Josh Walker
DT BJ Raji
DT Josh Boyd
DT Mike Pennel
DT Bruce Gaston
LB Mike Neal
LB Andy Mulumba
CB Casey Hayward
CB Demetri Goodson
S Sean Richardson

So over the course of a calendar year, Ted Thompson replaced 19 players from his 2015 roster.  And that doesn't even include them replacing Tim Masthay with Jacob Schum.  So over the course of 2 offseasons, that projects to replacing 38 players.  That's damn near identical to what you're praising Gute for right now.  Care to guess how many players the Patriots jettisoned from 2017 to 2018?  19.  Again, identical to what Gute replaced going from 2015 to 2016.  So what exactly is your point here?  That Gute is jettisoning out his 46-53 part of his roster?  I hate to burst your bubble, but that's the case with every NFL franchise not just Gute and a handful of franchises.  OR that he lets his players that are going onto their 3rd contracts walk?  Again, hate to burst your bubble but that's where majority of the franchises decided to end their relationship with the player.

The only ones I can see complaining about Gute's ongoing roster purge are the ever dwindling number of folks who still believe the prior GM's "drafting record ... stands up as well as any" other NFL GM between 2011 and 2017.

If you're going to troll, you need to learn how to do it better.  And before you come in here saying you're not trolling, you are.  Intentionally misrepresenting facts or someone's argument is trolling.  If you want to continue this path, we can just issue warnings.

I think most Packer fans understand that Gute inherited a roster that badly needed an infusion of talent and thus accept his decisions to move on from, among others, the starting TE, RB, FB, LG, 2 of the 3 top WRs, 2 starting OLBs, 1 starting ILB, 4 of the top 5 CBs, and 4 of the top 5 Safeties he inherited.

So...they need to replace the entire roster?  Good to know we're the Cleveland Browns.  Oh wait, we're not.  That's what happens when you have multiple departures, and don't adequately replace that talent.  Ted's drafts in recent years didn't adequately replace that talent, which is why we moved on.  But when exactly were the Packers supposed to pull the plug on Ted?  I'm legitimately curious.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

"Amazing" is not the word I would use to describe it considering our record last year. 

What is amazing is how many over the hill, total projects and below average athletes are on that list. Every team has a couple but dang that was 2/3 our roster. 

Edited by MantyWrestler
  • Like 1

Playing devils advocate, most rosters have about 40-50% turnover in a 2 year period, especially when looking at non starters. TT typically had 10-13 rookies on the final 53 every year. Gute has made moves, but I want to wait and see how the draft classes look after 2 years under him, if his HC choice was good,  and if the FA class makes an impact.

I think any fan on this site with a new GM can make a thread like this. Look at Chicago. Pace Purged that roster that Kyle Long is the only player left from the previous GM. Roster purges happen with long tenured GM'S. Look at the Patriots and the amount of turnover year to year. If your name isn't Brady or Gronk you're expendable.

I've told ToT countless times that there's virtually zero difference in the roster turnover between Gute and other GMs league wide and he never accepts it, sweeps it under the rug and acts like it's somehow different than literally every GM ever (even GMs who get rid of their own players).  You can look at every single team in the league and they will average about 20 different players a year. 

• Like 2

I think the point that is getting lost here is the fact that Gute is quicker to jettison underperforming players than TT was. 

Think of it this way: how many years were we subjected to Jarrett Bush and then Nick Perry? Coaching staff wise: at what point would Dom have finally been let go had it not been for TT stepping down? One can easily make the case that Dom's influence in the War Room significantly tarnished the legacies of both TT and MM. That point is getting lost in translation, at least at this point in time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think the point that is getting lost here is the fact that Gute is quicker to jettison underperforming players than TT was. 

Think of it this way: how many years were we subjected to Jarrett Bush and then Nick Perry? Coaching staff wise: at what point would Dom have finally been let go had it not been for TT stepping down? One can easily make the case that Dom's influence in the War Room significantly tarnished the legacies of both TT and MM. That point is getting lost in translation, at least at this point in time.

You aren't wrong. Now will he be the same with "his guys" going forward is my next question. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

What is amazing is how many over the hill, total projects and below average athletes are on that list. Every team has a couple but dang that was 2/3 our roster. 

2/3rds?  You're kidding, right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

Pretty much every team after the core 22, K, P, LS has maybe 1 good backup per position groups, and a bunch of projects that play special teams. There is a reason the average career is like 2-3 years. Half a normal  roster is given a year or 2 to develop and are just guys who are replaceable.

15 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

"Amazing" is not the word I would use to describe it considering our record last year. 

I think you have to give Gute a free pass for a year.

But its his roster now and we have to win games next year. If we don't make the play-offs and Rodgers plays the majority of the season then he has been a failure. For all TT's failings (and his record near the end was dodgy), when he had Rodgers we made the playoffs and had a super-bowl shot. 

The roster turnover is to be expected for a new GM but really, it was a weaker roster than we had the majority of seasons under TT.  That's OK for a year whilst he gets in who he wants. Its not OK for two years on the bounce.