NFL News & General Info Thread

Kiltman

Wanted to share a few interesting things I've noticed...

We are the only team in the NFL to be ranked in the top 5 in both Offensive DVOA (3rd) and Defensive DVOA (4th). We fall just outside of the top 10 in Special Teams DVOA at #11. 

There are 4 other teams that are top 10 in both of these stats:

New Orleans (2nd in offense, 8th in defense)

Pittsburgh (6th in offense, 3rd in defense)

LA Rams (8th in offense, 5th in defense)

Minnnesota (4th in offense, 7th in defense)

We are the #1 team in Total DVOA which measures teams' total efficiency in all phases of the game. 

One other thing of note I saw:

-New England is 1st in offense, but 31st in defense. Every Superbowl winner of the last 5 years has ranked in the top 10 in defensive DVOA, minus last year's Patriots team which was 16th. 

*Note: for anyone who is for some reason unfamiliar with DVOA or footballoutsiders, it's IMO the best analytical measurement of team success. It's a comprehensive system that breaks down every single NFL play and compares a team's performance to a league baseline based on situation in order to determine value over average. If you want a full break down: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#dvoa

edit: Though I like DVOA a lot...That's only really because I think it's the best at measuring team success, as opposed to individual players. Their DVOA rankings of players among their positions has always seemed flawed to me. 

6 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

We fell out of the top 10 for special teams? We were like number 1 a few weeks 

Yeah, I don't really agree with us being that low. 

I guess maybe we weren't that great in kickoff coverage against Dallas? 

And maybe because we haven't really had any big returns lately it seems. I dunno

7 hours ago, BAConrad said:

Yeah, I don't really agree with us being that low. 

I guess maybe we weren't that great in kickoff coverage against Dallas? 

And maybe because we haven't really had any big returns lately it seems. I dunno

Jake's been missing short kicks too.

We worked out two TEs and a QB...

GABE HOLMES

The 26-year-old Holmes measures in at 6-5, 255 pounds. He played college football at Purdue and signed with the Oakland Raiders as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2015. Holmes didn’t play in a regular season game but he hung around with the Raiders until he was waived prior to the start of this season. Preseason stats from 2015-2017: seven receptions for 38 yards. Holmes spent 13 days on the Seattle’s practice squad in September. The Eagles play the Seahawks this Sunday.

JEVONI ROBINSON

Robinson isn’t a football player. The 25-year-old played college basketball for North Carolina State before transferring to Barry University (Division II) as a senior in 2014-2015. Robinson measures in at 6-8, 225 pounds. This isn’t the first time the Eagles worked out a basketball player. They reportedly did that earlier this summer as well.

MATT SIMMS

Simms is the son of former NFL quarterback and current NFL sportscaster Phil Simms. The 29-year-old has spent time with the Jets, Bills, and Falcons since entering the league as an undrafted free agent in 2012.

Tim McManus‏Verified account @Tim_McManus

There was some speculation about Eagles at Rams being flexed, but that will not be the case. The NFL announced that the Sunday Night Football game between the Ravens and Steelers on Dec. 10 is staying put. Carson Wentz vs. Jared Goff remains at 4:25... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0727194752901977030-4 …

Now it's official. Sweet! 

Archived