Vance McDonald traded to Steelers

49erurtaza

49 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

That's discouraging but I think he could be a nice addition to the Steelers. I see that he is a good blocker which is nice. He won't be to asked to do a lot with the talent the Steelers have at WR so there won't be too much pressure on him.

3 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

That's discouraging but I think he could be a nice addition to the Steelers. I see that he is a good blocker which is nice. He won't be to asked to do a lot with the talent the Steelers have at WR so there won't be too much pressure on him.

Yeah, he will be fine with you guys. The problem for us the last few years is that we had no real receivers so we used the tight ends quite a bit (also, we had Kaep and Gabbert, so lots of short throws) so it was frustrating watching him drop a ton of passes, not make the hard catches, etc. He's massively overpaid, but you can easily get out of the contract after this year, I think. So for just dropping down a few spots in the draft (probably what, 10-15 spots?), it's a fine deal for you guys if you can afford the salary. And yes, you won't have complaints about his blocking - very solid/good in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Because Baalke.

I can't believe that we gave Baalke the authority to make that deal even though he could have been on the way out. That was just dumb. Then for Baalke to give him that type of contract...well, Baalke going to do Baalke things. 

Keeping Baalke over Harbaugh was a huge doo doo stain on the franchise. Jed is such a moron.

I thought McDonald's extension was ridiculous considering he's done very little to warrant it.  Yes he's a good blocker, but so is Brent Celek and he came at $4 million a year instead of $7 million.  Steelers do need a tight end for what it's worth, but I doubt he produces anywhere near what he's being paid

10 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

George little is the starter now glad to see it over 

Not at all surprised. He's going to be a huge asset to the outside-zone scheme. And he's a threat as a pass-catcher if he's not respected.

15 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Is Jesse James still going to be the #1 TE in Pittsburgh?

Yes.   

Some Steeler fans seem to think this is a reflection on Jesse James, but I really dont think it does (even though James is still only average at best).

My guess is we traded for Vance primarily for his blocking ability, and because he provides some decent depth...not because of Jesse James.    Only way Vance steals the starting job is if James sucks early and often and they might give Vance a chance.   James is unspectacular, but he has proven to be more dependable than McDonald ever has.

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yes.   

Some Steeler fans seem to think this is a reflection on Jesse James, but I really dont think it does (even though James is still only average at best).

My guess is we traded for Vance primarily for his blocking ability, and because he provides some decent depth...not because of Jesse James.    Only way Vance steals the starting job is if James sucks early and often and they might give Vance a chance.   James is unspectacular, but he has proven to be more dependable than McDonald ever has.

Don't most teams run 12 personnel often enough anyway.. you really need 2 capable TEs.

Archived