The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I’ll give Carr credit, his safe playing style has ensured us victory the past couple weeks. But it also makes me wonder how a true franchise QB would be doing with a line that shut out both Von Miller and Khalil Mack, almost unheard of. This is a Saints level pass protection and he still does throw well short of 1st down on 3rd downs. 

Too bad he don’t have Saints level WRs huh 

2 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Too bad he don’t have Saints level WRs huh 

You mean all the garbage WR cores Brees had pre-Thomas? What about all the absolutely pathetic receiving cores that Brady/Rodgers had over years where no one was even a WR2? And these guys have no issues. WR is the most overrated position in football. They would of had Mahomes type seasons with that 2016 OL and WR core. Plus Carr doesn’t look past 10 yards anyways. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

You mean all the garbage WR cores Brees had pre-Thomas? What about all the absolutely pathetic receiving cores that Brady/Rodgers had over years where no one was even a WR2? And these guys have no issues. WR is the most overrated position in football. They would of had Mahomes type seasons with that 2016 OL and WR core. Plus Carr doesn’t look past 10 yards anyways. 

Carr’s playing with guys literally straight off of practice squads.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geezy said:

Carr’s playing with guys literally straight off of practice squads.

Tyrell is a legit WR2 and plenty of teams don’t have a true WR1, probably more than half the teams in the league. I agree we need another reliable receiver 100% but acting like Carr needs some 1st Round stud just to be efficient is laughable. 

Carr is not perfect, but come on, give credit where it’s due. No need to constantly be negative just to fit your narrative. End of the day, I’m a Raider fan, and when we’re winning I’m happy and not looking for something to ***** about. 

We’re coming of two solid wins, heading into a bye week with a winning record and a chance to get some guys back from injury. Things are looking up, feel good about it. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

Tyrell is a legit WR2 and plenty of teams don’t have a true WR1, probably more than half the teams in the league. I agree we need another reliable receiver 100% but acting like Carr needs some 1st Round stud just to be efficient is laughable. 

TW was out of the lineup yesterday.

we lined up Davis Packers PS, Ateman PS, Doss PS and Renfrow vs a top 2 defense in the league

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Carr is not perfect, but come on, give credit where it’s due. No need to constantly be negative just to fit your narrative. End of the day, I’m a Raider fan, and when we’re winning I’m happy and not looking for something to ***** about. 

We’re coming of two solid wins, heading into a bye week with a winning record and a chance to get some guys back from injury. Things are looking up, feel good about it. 

I did give him credit, you were the one quoting me nitpicking as if Carr had a perfect game. It still left a lot to be desired. 

5 hours ago, Geezy said:

TW was out of the lineup yesterday.

we lined up Davis Packers PS, Ateman PS, Doss PS and Renfrow vs a top 2 defense in the league

This.

No one backing Carr is comparing him to Hall of Famers either. So I don't know what Brady, Rodgers, or Brees have anything to do with this. They may be what we all hope our QB can become, Carr or otherwise, but let's be a tiny bit realistic please.

• Like 1

I give credit to Carr for playing well and managing the last two games. He has played safe and efficient football, hasn't made any backbreaking mistakes like he has been prone to do, and managed these last two wins very well. Alex Smithian like.

But I still dont see franchise QB. I dont think we can win a game because of him unless we are playing a dead water team like the Donks. I'm excited to see more of him going forward. We'll see how he plays but I give him a solid C+ for this first fourth of the season.

Edited by SilverNBlackFan

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Pathetic cores? Before Thomas Brees had some little known guys named Graham and Colston. You might have missed them no big deal. As for Rodgers and Brady. Rodgers best seasons he’s had Adams, Nelson and Randle Cobb. And before 2006 Brady wasn’t lighting up the score board, but that changed when some dudes named moss and welker joined the team. Yeah and since then he’s had some scrubs named Gronk and Edelman....

look i get you don’t like Carr but be honest here no QB in the modern era has had to play with the WR Corp that Carr is playing with this year and most of last year. 

• Like 2

Carr has basically been Alex Smith the past 2 weeks managing the game. He's just going to be a QB who leaves you wanting more, that's clear. He's not going to be a guy who throws for 300+ and a few TDs week in and week out. When poised and protected, he can manage a game. 

The simple answer here is treat him like Alex Smith. Draft a QB with the upside and ability you want in the offense and develop him under Carr for a year. Carr will have value to a lot of teams in trade if the time comes.

To me, doesn't have to be black and white. Ride with Carr and develop a QB under him. And if he can't handle it, then you know who he is. 

The Packers, Pats, etc. always use high picks on QBs despite having their guy. It's a QB league, load up early on them

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Carr has basically been Alex Smith the past 2 weeks managing the game. He's just going to be a QB who leaves you wanting more, that's clear. He's not going to be a guy who throws for 300+ and a few TDs week in and week out. When poised and protected, he can manage a game. 

The simple answer here is treat him like Alex Smith. Draft a QB with the upside and ability you want in the offense and develop him under Carr for a year. Carr will have value to a lot of teams in trade if the time comes.

To me, doesn't have to be black and white. Ride with Carr and develop a QB under him. And if he can't handle it, then you know who he is. 

The Packers, Pats, etc. always use high picks on QBs despite having their guy. It's a QB league, load up early on them

We can't and shouldn't expect anymore than this until we get something going at WR.  Like someone posted earlier, we are starting 5th round picks and PS players.  Tyrell is a legit #2, but he's only a legit #2 when you have a #1.

6 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Pathetic cores? Before Thomas Brees had some little known guys named Graham and Colston. You might have missed them no big deal. As for Rodgers and Brady. Rodgers best seasons he’s had Adams, Nelson and Randle Cobb. And before 2006 Brady wasn’t lighting up the score board, but that changed when some dudes named moss and welker joined the team. Yeah and since then he’s had some scrubs named Gronk and Edelman....

look i get you don’t like Carr but be honest here no QB in the modern era has had to play with the WR Corp that Carr is playing with this year and most of last year. 

Graham is not close to the same player he was with Brees and Colston was the 4th to last pick in the 2006 draft.  I would bet Brees had more of an impact on him then he had on Brees.  Actualy 2 of Bree's best seasons Colston only started 5 games and had 520 yards receiving with no Graham.  not going to say Brees had no weapons or even that Carr's weapons are better but Brees has been elite no matter who is out there with him.  If you just want to compare QB to QB Bree's worst season since joining NO is just a little bit less than Carr's best season.  Carr has made some improvements this year but still needs to do more.   He looks like he is starting to trust the players around him but I do not think he trusts himself yet.  Still to conservative.  You want to limit mistakes but he needs to take more chances and be more aware of the situation.  Late in the game down by for a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 8 is not an option.  You should not be playing field position under those circumstances.  

37 minutes ago, true2form said:

We can't and shouldn't expect anymore than this until we get something going at WR.  Like someone posted earlier, we are starting 5th round picks and PS players.  Tyrell is a legit #2, but he's only a legit #2 when you have a #1.

A #1 WR is a waste of time until Carr decides to be more aggressive.  He is getting better but if AB was on the team he would have already started on Carr.  Zay Jones might be a really good pick up for Carr since he excels at the things Carr is comfortable doing.  Now I am not saying Carr does not have the capability to do these things but that he does not have the capacity.