Duke Johnson trade imminent. *updates to come*

NudeTayne

Compensation  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What do we get for Duke?

• A slice of humble pie. We ain't gettin' jack squat other than a swap of late picks.
    • Gareon Conley after we toss in a late rounder.
    • 5th rounder.
    • 4th rounder.
    • 3rd rounder.
    • 2nd rounder. Just kidding. Hornby.
    • Another swap for a no-name player who will end up outplaying the guy we gave up.

12 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

I don't get the Duke trade scenario, at least not yet. 2020 maybe, but why now?

Because he is not in our future and does not want to be here which in and of itself says that we do not want him here.

13 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

He is immeasurably more valuable as an offensive player, even in a niche role.

I think he is a hometown favorite. I mean, ya, it's fun to chant "DUKE" when he does something nice, but those times are few and far between.

13 minutes ago, StewieRules said:

Find a role for him and let him contribute. 

Hueball and Haley didn't find a role for him and it got even worse under Kitchens.

5 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

To be fair, Dukes not gonna start regardless of who gets hurt. He can’t handle more than 8 carries a game without getting hurt himself.

True, plus he will be able to be replaced with a veteran camp cut from somebody elses team for 8 games until Hunt comes back. We could add a Alfred Blue or Wendell Smallwood type of guy to be Chubbs backup for half the season and its not like we would see this huge dropoff in production from our backup RB. I love Duke as a player, but he is hardly irreplaceable especially with the Chubb/Hunt combo coming. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

I think he is a hometown favorite. I mean, ya, it's fun to chant "DUKE" when he does something nice, but those times are few and far between.

I mean, the number of times he has a splash play is pretty darn good considering the amount of times we call on him to do so. He only gets 5-6 touches a game it seemed like & in those 5-6 touches, he usually had an explosive play or two. If you gave him 20+ touches (not advocating for doing so), he'd probably have a lot more splash plays. He is a very average or slightly below average true runningback, but is an elite 3rd down receiving back IMO.

I think it's easy to replace Duke, but I don't really want to. He's a good player and is a useful chess piece for this offense. We have a brilliant offensive mind that knows how to get the most out of the skill sets of his players. I'd keep Duke for at least this season and see what we can do with a 3-headed RB monster. If it really does seem like Duke is useless to this team, we can trade him when that arises. But right now I don't see the need to give away a playmaker for peanuts. He's going to make some other team very happy if we part ways with him, regardless of whether or not we NEED him. We certainly aren't better off without him so why trade him away?

Also, I think people forget he was literally the one bright spot on our terrible 2016-2017 squads. Legitimately our only playmaker during the dark years. The dude played very hard in blowout games and signed with us when we were a dumpster fire. I respect the crap out of that dude.

• Like 2

The 2018 offensive staff didnt like Duke. Hayley ran hyde like he was prime AP and freddie did the same to chubb. If we still have Duke I'd want to use him to moderate chubbs touches. There were a few times last year when we should of got Duke the ball more, he is a much better player for screens than chubb is.

I hope they are better able to rotate backs next season, especially if we have a healthy chubb and hunt. 

8 hours ago, StewieRules said:

I don't get the Duke trade scenario, at least not yet. 2020 maybe, but why now? If (against all things Holy) Chubb gets hurt early and Duke's gone - who's left? Hunt's half a season away. And to get what for DJ ...a 5th? 5TH?? He is immeasurably more valuable as an offensive player, even in a niche role.  2020 comes, you at least have some answers regarding Hunt or maybe even now of these UDFA RB's. To me, moving him, even if he wants it, makes no sense at this time. Find a role for him and let him contribute. 

The more years he has on the deal the more valuable he is. That’s why it’s better to trade. Also he could potentially become a cancer 

1 minute ago, braylon said:

Is there actually McCoy rumors or were you guys just floating that out there?

There are articles claiming Dorsey is interested.   Tampa Bay has under 2 million in cap space, which is not enough to sign their draft picks.  So they are highly motivated to move him, otherwise they will likely cut him.

47 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

There are articles claiming Dorsey is interested.   Tampa Bay has under 2 million in cap space, which is not enough to sign their draft picks.  So they are highly motivated to move him, otherwise they will likely cut him.

Yeah they need to create some cap space and they need talent at RB. Also BA likes to use a RB who can catch.  Maybe make duke into a poor mans david Johnson 

The McCoy rumor is interesting. Could it be a straight swap Duke for McCoy (assuming the bucs pay a portion of the salary)?

My only fear is the running back depth to start the season but on the other hand, that D would be crazzzzy

I don't even know that the bucs would need to pay a portion of his salary.

13 million a year isn't an incredible amount.  If we want him more than a year we can re-structure his contract.  If we don't we can cut him at any time and now owe a penny.

I don't know why people are worried about the financial side of this...