2019 Day 1 Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

jleisher

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

LOL go watch some tape, please.  The last 2 seasons, he's had 111 tackles, 7 interceptions, and 10 PD.  The kid is good.

I watched him plenty. A good player but you are joking yourself if you think he’s the best FS in this draft. It was a reached that costed 3 picks in a year we can’t afford to spend 3 picks on one guy. It’s like they believe we’re one player away and not the dumpster fire that’s been a long, long, long ways from being a playoff team over the last 2 years. 

Posting mediocre college stats don’t mean much too me. I’m a big 10 fan and Watched a lot of Maryland. He didn’t think he stood out as a star or a difference maker.  

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

LOL go watch some tape, please.  The last 2 seasons, he's had 111 tackles, 7 interceptions, and 10 PD.  The kid is good.

There ya go.

Look forward to him patrolling centerfield for us. The kid looks like a player.
He'll give JA a run for his money as leader of that secondary group.
If KK ever shows up ^^^^ we'll be sitting pretty.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Big fan of Savage.

Like him, Adderley (who ran poorly at pro day though) and Rapp. Savage is elite athlete of that group. Fills biggest need on the roster as well.

We got our #1 DB in the draft.

Agreed. Adderley. TONS to like. Liked Rapp live. Just assumed he was S #1 until the combine. That I heard about WAY later lol. But this dude man....

Just now, SSG said:

I watched him plenty. A good player but you are joking yourself if you think he’s the best FS in this draft. It was a reached that costed 3 picks in a year we can’t afford to spend 3 picks on one guy. It’s like they believe we’re one player away and not the dumpster fire that’s been a long, long, long ways from being a playoff team over the last 2 years. 

Honestly, there's no "best" safety in the class.  There's no Earl Thomas.  There's no Eric Berry.  There's no LaRon Landry.  You've got essentially 3 top safety prospects: Nasir Adderly, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and Darnell Savage.  It's pick your choice of safeties.  If you want to do a breakdown on Savage, I'd love to hear it.  But my guess is you saw he was a Day 3 prospect early in the draft process, and now he's suddenly the 21st overall pick.

20 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Nick Perry 2.0

I see what you did here... I'm gonna say that given the fact that the guys who pulled the trigger on Gary were the exact same guys responsible for making Nick Perry an example earlier in year, I'm gonna say that the parallels between the two were not lost on them and that with the obvious concerns surrounding the lack of production for Gary at Michigan, Gary convinced a staff that was very aware of the need to address issues surrounding effort, and the overall trust levels surrounding someone that should have been so much better... unless, you know, they didn't bother with talking to the guy they were about to draft with their first pick.

Look, it was an incredibly busy week and with all those other teams from  larger markets calling, its very possible that the Packers studied the Lindy's, and figured that their ranking of 3rd overall DE was right where they thought he should be...

I just don't that my first experience hearing about him was all the hype that has always surrounded him and he has been extremely concerned with developing his BRAND... while doing nothing to backup the hype surrounding him. But then again, I was not staring at an eventual payday that my closest advisors told me I'd see by placing my focus into building the BRAND.

If this is the new approach that the Blue Chip prospects are going to be hearing from their people and this is just the first of many, then he must be damn special if even with a complete lack of production,  there was absolutely no question about that glaring lack of stats and it was business as usual.

Also, the windfall that was rumored appears to be an attempt by another interested team to stir the pot. It would appear there wasn't nearly the amount of questions surrounding him. Could it be that we no longer can rely on stats to give the best overall indication of a players skills? 

Does any of this sound better if I turn off the lights and whistle?

Archived