2019 Packers Defense Would You Look At It? Just Look At It!

MacReady

6 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I understand tempering excitement. But I'm also not seeing the 'excitement' or 'hype' that people are trying to temper. Dude played six snaps and hit the QB on one of them. No one's anointing him, just pointing it out.

In the same vein, all Alex and Ragnar did was point out that the Bears OL whiffed that play. They didn't even say it was a bad rep from Gary or anything, just that both Lowry and Gary did their jobs and it lead to a hurry. How is that hating?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

In the same vein, all Alex and Ragnar did was point out that the Bears OL whiffed that play. They didn't even say it was a bad rep from Gary or anything, just that both Lowry and Gary did their jobs and it lead to a hurry. How is that hating?

Agreed.  And the more impressive part of that play was P Smith slipping past the OT/OG and beating Gary to Trubisky.

Gary did what most NFL Edge rushers should be able to do in that play setup....get to the QB after being virtually untouched

12 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

Don't get me wrong, I think it was a good rep by Gary.  It is also a positive that the coaches had enough confidence in him to put him in the game at a critical situation-- opposing team 1st and 10 at your 16, a little over 2 minutes left, driving for the tie or potential win with a two point conversion.

I think putting him in at that point speaks more for him than the actual rep, and his next rep wasn't all bad rushing from the other side of the formation.

That being said, I agree that one needs tempered expectations, and that clip wasn't Gary creating on his own, but more taking advantage of scheme and errors by the opposition. Sure, he is a great athlete, no one argues that, but he needs to develop technique as a pass rusher.  

Like others have said, I am not sure why this is a big deal.   AlexGreene was just bringing up actual football issues as opposed to being blindly positive.  Not hate, just observation.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I understand tempering excitement. But I'm also not seeing the 'excitement' or 'hype' that people are trying to temper. Dude played six snaps and hit the QB on one of them. No one's anointing him, just pointing it out.

Well it started with the Uglem post advocating for additional reps, the retort was hoping that he wasn't trying to post it as a highlight because it's not really a highlight. It's like matching the energy if anything; Gary supporters are just SO defensive right now. The reps will come, I'm sure the staff love him so it'll come. In a tight game against division rivals I think the route they went was better. The reps won't come because of the play Uglem posted, it's nothing special..

I love the pick, other people didn't as much. Doesn't make their opinions some "agenda" though.

49 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

I mean deriding the thought that Gary hitting the QB is a highlight isn't exactly just saying he did his job.

20 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Well it started with the Uglem post advocating for additional reps, the retort was hoping that he wasn't trying to post it as a highlight because it's not really a highlight. It's like matching the energy if anything; Gary supporters are just SO defensive right now. The reps will come, I'm sure the staff love him so it'll come. In a tight game against division rivals I think the route they went was better. The reps won't come because of the play Uglem posted, it's nothing special..

I love the pick, other people didn't as much. Doesn't make their opinions some "agenda" though.

I mean it is a highlight, the dude hit the QB and caused an incompletion by doing his job. Again, he's not Reggie White here, but calling that not a highlight is like saying Clay's forced fumble isn't a highlight in the Super Bowl because the pulling OL completely whiffed him.

8 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I mean it is a highlight, the dude hit the QB and caused an incompletion by doing his job. Again, he's not Reggie White here, but calling that not a highlight is like saying Clay's forced fumble isn't a highlight in the Super Bowl because the pulling OL completely whiffed him.

Clays play wouldn't be a highlight if Mendenhall held onto the football. It'd still be better though because Clay's recognition of the play and calling the play with Pickett. Gary did his job, nothing special happened.

Like if you're putting together a highlight reel of the game with limited time available, you put that in there? I wouldn't.

Edited by HighCalebR
more reasoning.

34 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Well....your post has all sorts of agenda and hidden agenda to it;)

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Clays play wouldn't be a highlight if Mendenhall held onto the football. It'd still be better though because Clay's recognition of the play and calling the play with Pickett. Gary did his job, nothing special happened.

Like if you're putting together a highlight reel of the game with limited time available, you put that in there? I wouldn't.

I love watching our defense hit Trubisky so I would probably include it; but still - the dude had 6 snaps and on this one he hit the QB. It was a highlight of his night. 

4 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I love watching our defense hit Trubisky so I would probably include it; but still - the dude had 6 snaps and on this one he hit the QB. It was a highlight of his night. 

That's fair, who doesn't? But it didn't HAVE to be Gary there, it could've been Ramsey and the outcome would've been similar MOST LIKELY. I hope Gary has much better highlights throughout the course of this season. I can't wait until there's something to absolutely sploosh over.

2 hours ago, Donzo said:

I don't want to call posters out by name, but we're in the middle of talking about Gary and a poster's agenda to hate him. For another example of an agenda, just look at the recent Randal trade discussion- oy vey!

Pointing out mitigating information to slow the hype train is not “hate”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Don't get me wrong, I think it was a good rep by Gary.  It is also a positive that the coaches had enough confidence in him to put him in the game at a critical situation-- opposing team 1st and 10 at your 16, a little over 2 minutes left, driving for the tie or potential win with a two point conversion.

I think putting him in at that point speaks more for him than the actual rep, and his next rep wasn't all bad rushing from the other side of the formation.

That being said, I agree that one needs tempered expectations, and that clip wasn't Gary creating on his own, but more taking advantage of scheme and errors by the opposition. Sure, he is a great athlete, no one argues that, but he needs to develop technique as a pass rusher.  

Like others have said, I am not sure why this is a big deal.   AlexGreene was just bringing up actual football issues as opposed to being blindly positive.  Not hate, just observation.

And that’s all we’re saying! It was a good rep! We’re not nitpicking , or looking for every way to discredit him. We’re just saying it was a good rep! 

And those who laugh at the word agenda probably don’t know what it means 🤷🏻‍♂️. They’re the same people who watch First Take and believe Skip Bayless is a legit sports commentator .

The same people who don’t understand the term ‘agenda’ are the same people who listen to the morons who tell them climate change isn’t real 😂

I was thinking today, after Thursday’s game, I wish Mike Daniels was a part of it this year. He’s had the personality that I believe this defense has for years. This defense is going to play tough, grown man football and that was Mike Daniels. 

• Like 1