2020 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

TheRealMcCoy

8 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I wonder which year Scouts/Gms are gonna care more about with Delpit.
He was a top 10 pick two seasons ago, and dropped off to the 2nd for a lot of people this year.

Him or McKinney would be a great add.

Dude still won the Thorpe award this year IIRC..

8 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I don't see any legit scenario for that. Too many other options out there with experience before that would happen imo.

We are limited in cap space and might need two new starting safeties next year. I mean sure there might be some crappy veteran that is here but deep down we all will know the team would prefer the rookie to start. 

If its McKinney or Delpit they should be starting. However with FA before the draft I don't expect Howie to leave a huge hole at both safety spots leading into the draft. 

Epps hasn't played enough to be the starting FS. Maddox I fear isn't ready he's been bounced all around inside/out, CF. He hasn't played a snap this past year at FS. There are no position changes for Douglas or anyone. We would've seen/heard about it. 

My concern with Delpit is he seemed a little shaky on his angles and COD this past post season. So talented teams took advantage of that a little. Perhaps it was just the small sample size but it could lead to a bigger problem. 

I can't see Howie overpaying for a young guy (Simmons) and some guys are already in their prime (Harris, Ward, Boston). I would expect a signing of someone younger who has a smaller sample size or looking for an opportunity 

Sean Davis 26 Pittsburgh shoulder injury 

Jayron Kearse 25 MN backup, ST, athlete 

Marqui Christian 25 Rams 1 career start 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Dude still won the Thorpe award this year IIRC..

He did, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to those awards.

Think most people would tell you Delpit's play declined from last year.

He did deal with an injury I think, but still he wasn't the best DB in the nation.

Edit: Also, I remember when Adoree won and I was happy for him as a USC fan, but I knew he wasn't even the best DB in the Pac-12... let alone the nation.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

If its McKinney or Delpit they should be starting. However with FA before the draft I don't expect Howie to leave a huge hole at both safety spots leading into the draft. 

Epps hasn't played enough to be the starting FS. Maddox I fear isn't ready he's been bounced all around inside/out, CF. He hasn't played a snap this past year at FS. There are no position changes for Douglas or anyone. We would've seen/heard about it. 

My concern with Delpit is he seemed a little shaky on his angles and COD this past post season. So talented teams took advantage of that a little. Perhaps it was just the small sample size but it could lead to a bigger problem. 

I can't see Howie overpaying for a young guy (Simmons) and some guys are already in their prime (Harris, Ward, Boston). I would expect a signing of someone younger who has a smaller sample size or looking for an opportunity 

Sean Davis 26 Pittsburgh shoulder injury 

Jayron Kearse 25 MN backup, ST, athlete 

Marqui Christian 25 Rams 1 career start 

I could see Vonn Bell being an option too 

1 minute ago, nlesthought said:

I think we would have to overpay him to leave Nawlins. That's without looking at their current cap situation. 

If they want to keep Drew Brees for another season, they won’t have much cap. 

id rather pay him a decent amount then going nuts for someone like Anthony Harris. 

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If they want to keep Drew Brees for another season, they won’t have much cap. 

id rather pay him a decent amount then going nuts for someone like Anthony Harris. 

I wonder what Jenkins/McLeod's asking price will be. 

I'm not sure what Bell does on the back end of that defense. I thought he was more SS than FS coming out. 

I don't see Howie going nuts on any FA DB aside from CB. He knows CB play is vital in Schwartz defense. 

1 minute ago, nlesthought said:

I wonder what Jenkins/McLeod's asking price will be. 

I'm not sure what Bell does on the back end of that defense. I thought he was more SS than FS coming out. 

I don't see Howie going nuts on any FA DB aside from CB. He knows CB play is vital in Schwartz defense. 

I don’t think this defense really separates FS and SS so much. Guys are interchangeable. 

if you look throughout Howie’s tenure since coming back at GM. They’ve spent the money at S and the draft picks at CB 

22 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I don’t think this defense really separates FS and SS so much. Guys are interchangeable. 

if you look throughout Howie’s tenure since coming back at GM. They’ve spent the money at S and the draft picks at CB 

I disagree with this...Up until this last year McLeod was usually playing single high (CF) and Jenkins was the box type. With Epps here this past year they had him slide in to the CF safety and moved McLeod into that nickle safety while Jenkins was usually around the LOS. whether as a LB, slot cover guy or EMLOS. But pretty defined roles for the player. 

But I think you're right he typically goes after veteran FA safeties and drafts CBs. I just think he'll retain one of McLeod/Jenkins depending on asking price and roll with Epps as the 3rd safety and bring in a young safety who has a small sample size of success. That won't break the bank. Is that a recipe for success? Not sure depends on who and can they fit into the scheme. Now if both Jenkins and McLeod price themselves out and find a landing spot before/after the draft I can see Howie trying to draft someone he's tried nothings stuck

Jordan Poyer 2013

Earl Wolffe 2013

J. Jarrett 2011

K. Coleman 2010

N. Allen 2010

Edited by nlesthought

4 hours ago, Danger said:

13 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I wonder which year Scouts/Gms are gonna care more about with Delpit.
He was a top 10 pick two seasons ago, and dropped off to the 2nd for a lot of people this year.

Him or McKinney would be a great add.

Dude still won the Thorpe award this year IIRC

He’s had the name recognition for years...I think he can still be a hell of a player. His tape just wasn’t as good this year. And it’s not like they lost a ton of talent around him.

13 hours ago, nlesthought said:

Howie trying to draft someone he's tried nothings stuck

Jordan Poyer 2013

Earl Wolffe 2013

J. Jarrett 2011

K. Coleman 2010

N. Allen 2010

His/FO's history with drafting the Safety and WR posustions has been is atrocious to say the least!

6 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

His/FO's history with drafting the Safety and WR posustions has been is atrocious to say the least!

Very True. I was just noting that we had rookie safeties playing for us. Would Howie/FO consider that a serviceable draft selection. For us it would be no because they put themselves in a box by penning them in as a starter with no competition