2020 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

TheRealMcCoy

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Think long term. If you get a good deal you move him. It's better to move on 1 year too early than 1 year too late.

When is one year too early and when is one year too late? Ertz is our best offensive weapon, regardless of what people on this board say. No, he isn't perfect, but he is absolutely the kind of player you want on your team if your goal is to win a Super Bowl. Clearly, Doug values having two TE's on the field super high, so to just be willing to dump Ertz and downgrade one of the most important positions on the field for the "future" seems foolish.

If teams were offering solid first round picks for him, you listen. You would be stupid not to, but people definitely under value Ertz on this forum.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I'd trade Ertz for a 1st. 

Would be tough to say bye for them...and would be scary as fans to move your top guy. 

But yeah , if say the Pats are offering #23 it’s tough to turn down for a TE who will be 30 this year. It gives you a chance to add both a top corner and WR prospect. Delpit would also be an option or depart from DBs & WRs and grab a top DL player like Kinlaw or Gross-Matos and get you get talent.

Would be a big infusion of young talent at positions of need. And we’d still have the 2nd, two 3rds (if we don’t use one to hop up in the 1st for a guy) and the rest of the draft.

3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Would be tough to say bye for them...and would be scary as fans to move your top guy. 

But yeah , if say the Pats are offering #23 it’s tough to turn down for a TE who will be 30 this year. It gives you a chance to add both a top corner and WR prospect. Delpit would also be an option or depart from DBs & WRs and grab a top DL player like Kinlaw or Gross-Matos and get you get talent.

Would be a big infusion of young talent at positions of need. And we’d still have the 2nd, two 3rds (if we don’t use one to hop up in the 1st for a guy) and the rest of the draft.

I'd have full confidence in Goedert putting up similar or better numbers

14 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I'd want to draft another TE in that Scenario with one of the non first round picks if there's a nice prospect in the 2nd/3rd

57 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'd have full confidence in Goedert putting up similar or better numbers

Yeah he’d put up great numbers, but would probably get like 25 less targets a year at least.

He’s a different player, Goedert at TE1 would be more down the field when he’s not getting screens I think. But I actually think it’d work well with Sanders/Scott + Slot getting more short work.

Think yards would be the same, probably less TDs. Just cause Ertz is so good there.

47 minutes ago, EAGLES3658 said:

Do we see anything more than Derek Barnett with Gross-Matos?

Yes, quite a bit more.

DB is compact stocky and was a maxed out prospect with marginal athleticism. YGM it long, athletic one who still has plenty of room to grow. Can add more weight/strength and continue to build his pass rush toolbox. But the great thing is he’s already shown it and isn’t a project. 

If you have the patience for year and staff to teach/ build him, YGM could be an elite DE at the next level and a very nice part of the rotation in year 1. Which is certainly worth adding with how plodding our DEs are.

If we had BG, DB, and YGM (with the other depth guys) we’d be able to transition BG into that 3rd DE role nicely over the next few years. Which would be great cause Graham still adds a lot when you can rotate him. And I think he adds a ton of intangible stuff to the defense.

As bad as we need receivers and DBs...I honestly couldn’t fault them if he’s there and they pick him.

3 hours ago, EaglesFlySBChampsHigh said:

I'd want to draft another TE in that Scenario with one of the non first round picks if there's a nice prospect in the 2nd/3rd

You'd want a TE#2 in round 2/3 over a potential CB/LB/S/WR #1? Or maybe a good DT#2? If we traded Ertz for a late 1/early 2, I'd be pissed if we took Goederts' backup before round 5. We had the best #2 TE in the NFL, and our offense sucked. #2 TE is not important, unless TE#1 goes on ir.

If we traded Ertz, I would take Goedert in late round 2 in PPR fantasy leagues. He would go off. Like 90 catches, and many of them would include yac the likes of which we haven't seen since prime Celek. I want us to trade Ertz just so I can see Goedert as the TE1 over a full season. The Dakota Connection in full force for 16+ games. We can trade a 4th for OJ  Howard to be TE2.

Edited by Jeezla

21 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

You'd want a TE#2 in round 2/3 over a potential CB/LB/S/WR #1? Or maybe a good DT#2? If we traded Ertz for a late 1/early 2, I'd be pissed if we took Goederts' backup before round 5. We had the best #2 TE in the NFL, and our offense sucked. #2 TE is not important, unless TE#1 goes on ir.

If we traded Ertz, I would take Goedert in late round 2 in PPR fantasy leagues. He would go off. Like 90 catches, and many of them would include yac the likes of which we haven't seen since prime Celek. I want us to trade Ertz just so I can see Goedert as the TE1 over a full season. The Dakota Connection in full force for 16+ games. We can trade a 4th for OJ  Howard to be TE2.

Insurance.  I enjoy having a good backup especially after the last couple of seasons with all these injuries. We've seen at a couple positions when we lost the starter it became a huge hole. Not worried about his production , guess I'm nervous about a potential injury given our history. 

I'd be super on board for a trade for a guy like Howard. Especially Howard

I wouldn't trade Ertz, but if we did it'd have to be for a 1 or two 2s in return. And if we did trade him, I wouldn't draft another TE before the 5th. We need to move on from the TE being our go-to guy. Other good explosive teams rely on explosive players to be their go-to guys. We rely on Ertz, who is good, but is very athletically limited. Time to rely primarily on big play players in my opinion. Ertz targets need to come down and they need to go to guys who can do more with the ball in their hands. Problem is, we haven't really had those guys. And when we did, he went for 160 and 2 TDs but played 1 game.

That will (probably) be the case next year. We won't invest in a Robby Anderson/AJ Green in FA with D Jax and Alshon already costing about 24m combined. And we know Howie is gonna f up his WR pick and take Donovan People-Jones over WR's we actually want and that will end up good. 2021 we can finally cut Alsh and D Jax and hopefully sign a quality FA WR, since so many teams that aren't us will have hit on their 2020 WR pick. Until then, TE will be our best weapon.

Edited by Jeezla