2020 NCAA/Draft Prospect Thread

TheRealMcCoy

48 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

Why can't they be?

I'm okay with being TE-centric in the red zone, but I'd rather have the ball in guy's hands who can create a 75 yard TD from a 10 yard catch. The more often our tight ends have the ball in their hands, the less often anything explosive will happen.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:19 PM, Jeezla said:

Reagor vs Aiyuk
How big is the gap? Or are they in the same tier?

Reagor is a better WR.
Aiyuk, however, is no joke.
He kills it on returns and can stretch the field.
He is not a plug-and-play WR, though.  He'll need time to develop.
I mean, he won't get a single vote for OROY.  Reagor, either.

I project Reagor as a pure slot guy with the need to be sent in motion to get off the line.
Aiyuk is more versatile, but not a master of any skill except returns, both punt and KO.
Reagor has a nice return resume, too.

Reagor is probably sub 4.3.  (4.28)
Aiyuk, over 4.4, slightly.  (4.42)
If you love speed, Reagor has elite speed and will probably be taken higher because of it.
He also gets more uncontested deep balls because he's faster.

Aiyuk is about 15 pounds bigger.
He doesn't get dragged down or tripped by an arm so often.
He's adept at bubble screens and crossing routes, but doesn't always get as much separation as Reagor on deep balls.

I can see GB taking Reagor in the first after he tests at the combine.
I predict Aiyuk will go in the very late 2nd and maybe the early 3rd.

3 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

I'm okay with being TE-centric in the red zone, but I'd rather have the ball in guy's hands who can create a 75 yard TD from a 10 yard catch. The more often our tight ends have the ball in their hands, the less often anything explosive will happen.

75 yard TD's don't win championships.
Controlling the ball and moving the chains does.
Defense helps, too.

This is what I mean about being in love with "shiny things."
Make no mistake, Zach Ertz is on a trajectory to be a Hall of Fame TE.
So, he should be traded for a WR with potential?

He is currently 22nd in yards and 29 years old.
The active TE's ahead of him in yards are 32, 33, 34 and 39 years old, respectively.
(I didn't count 37 year old, Jason Witten.)
He's 13th in catches, ahead of Gronkowski and Kelce.
He's 23rd in TD's.

1,000 more yards would put him in 11th.
100 more catches would put him in 4th.
10 more TD's would put him in 11th.
These are all doable in a single season.
If not, they are likely in two seasons.
Beyond that, most of the TE's on the list played to at least 35.

2019 was his 2nd best season in terms of catches and yards.
It was his 3rd best in terms of TD's.
The average top TE plays until 34 years old.

I get it that it is better to move a guy before he is done, but the Eagles have nothing behind him.
On a 10 point must, Ertz is a 10 and Goedert is a seven.
No receiver scores over a four, except Alshon Jefferey and he's on the outs.

Trading Ertz is just stupid.
His football WAR is insanely high.
People just love playing with the roster and making gay* trades.
These are the same people who have a new mock every six weeks with different "must drafts."

*By "gay" I meant "happy."

• Like 1

last time I’m going to mention this...I realized his contract doesn’t make a trade a great option.

Ertz historical numbers are impressive no doubt but when he’s your first target after other WRs were moved from the roster than yes he’s going to blow up. Think Kevin Love with the Timberwolves who else is going to score/rebound when everyone else on the roster  sucks? 

Having the big play ability helps any offense ask T. Kelce 2018. I guarantee Ertz’s production can be reproduced by Goedert, if given a fair share of targets. The key difference is Ertz being 30 is closer to the hill than Goedert. It’s a lot easier to consistently move the chains when the defense has to defend more than 10 yards of grass. 

• Like 1

I'm making a trade Ertz argument. Goedert has a higher ceiling than Ertz as a receiver, and he's a much better blocker. Ertz's #'s are a product of the offense force feeding him the ball, just as D Jax and Maclins #'s were inflated when they were the primary target in Chips O. Goedert would put up similar #'s, potentially better, if he was getting the amount of targets Ertz does. Maybe you think Ertz is Joe Montana of TE's, but we have a younger and more dynamic Steve Young waiting in the wings. We would downgrade at TE2, but Goedert at TE1 is not a downgrade, imo, and I think it could be an upgrade because Goedert can get yac and block better both inline and on the move.

I like Ertz a lot, but our team would be better if you swapped him out with a pro bowl caliber LB, CB, DL, or WR, and moved Goedert to TE1.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1